snacks for new mommas & other time-crunched people

Options
rwolfenden
rwolfenden Posts: 16 Member
This is a quick-prep recipe that is excellent for anyone, but especially for lactating mommas since it is packed with fiber, healthy fat and protein. My lactation consultant also told me that chickpeas are great for milk supply, so there's that too.

Roasted chickpeas:
1 can (15.5oz) rinsed and drained chickpeas (I used Goya Low Sodium)
1 T olive oil (enough to coat the chickpeas)
Seasoning to taste (I used curry powder, but try different combinations-taco seasoning, chili powder, BBQ sauce, soy sauce/wasabi-you are only limited by your imagination. Keep in mind though that garlic, ginger, fennel, marjoram, dill, anise and turmeric are all known for increasing milk supply, and peppermint, sage and oregano are all known for decreasing milk supply. I've heard conflicting things about parsley and basil, so it's probably best not to use lots of these)

Put drained and rinsed beans in a bowl, and add the oil and seasoning. Toss to coat evenly. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray. Spread beans evenly in single layer on sheet and put in preheated 400 oven. Every 15 minutes, check them and shake the pan to keep them from sticking. They are done when they are brown and crunchy. Let them cool and store in an airtight container.

I calculated this recipe made with curry powder and for a 1/4 c serving, it's about 120 calories, 4g fat, 6.5 g fiber and 5g protein. There's even some calcium and iron in there!

Anyone else have a good recipe to share? I'm heading back to work soon, so it would be great to have some things that travel well that I can eat on my commute too

Replies

• Frauhammie
    Frauhammie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this, I will definitely try this! Have you tried the Fitness Magazine website? I use it all the time, they have so many easy to make recipes.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I just want to try this for something different :)
  • ProjectLoveMyBody
    Options
    I found you from a friend of a friend. I'm going to try this recipe tomorrow!
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    bump
  • casnic25
    casnic25 Posts: 81
    Options
    Thank you. I will try this.