really think people should read this book

Options
So I posted this a couple of days ago and didn't get aton of responses (which I don't need) BUT BUT BUT I really think that people should read this book! It was life changing for me... so i thought I would post it one more time just to give other people another shot!

During my break, I was introduced to the book Born to Run. It has given me a new motivation to exercise and to be healthy. The book was fantastic and I encourage EVERYONE on this website to read it, you will not be sorry!

Preview: The book studys running, how humans are born to run despite our problems with running nowdays, superathletes, an ethnic group in Mexico, and an how to learn to love to run again. The author goes to the doctor and asks, How come my foot hurts? answer because running is bad for you. Why is running bad for me? Because it makes your foot hurt.

Page 13, " But why? Antelope don't get shin splits. Wolves don't ice-pack their knees. I doubt that 80% of all wild mustands are annually disabled with impact injuries. It reminded me of a proverb attributed to Roger Bannister, who, while simultaneously studying medicine working as a clinical researcher, and minting pithy parables became the first man to break the four-minute mile: " Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up, It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle-- when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."

Replies

• lgfeilmeier
    Options
    Thanks for posting. I actually feel motivated right now from reading the preview! That's what I needed. Unfortunately I'm probably a lion and just need to run faster than the slowest gazelle, but better than not running!
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing :flowerforyou:
  • mehapp
    mehapp Posts: 132
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendation - I'm really interested. Thanks, it seems very empowering!

Do you run? Do you have any recommendations for beginners? Have you ever done the C25K program?
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting. I actually feel motivated right now from reading the preview! That's what I needed. Unfortunately I'm probably a lion and just need to run faster than the slowest gazelle, but better than not running!

The book gives you so many tips to help you run, I actually signed up for a marathon after reading it!
  • AnneElise
    Options

The book gives you so many tips to help you run, I actually signed up for a marathon after reading it!
  • AnneElise
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendation - I'm really interested. Thanks, it seems very empowering!

Do you run? Do you have any recommendations for beginners? Have you ever done the C25K program?

I do run, I have been a runner since I got out of high school and stopped doing organized sports. I usually only run 3 miles at a time though right now. After reading this book, I signed up for a marathon though! Next October! I havn't done the C25K, I will see what it is. The hardest thing about starting to run is that until you are in shape, it is hard to do but once you can do it, it feels so good. As this book says, its natural for you and I to run, we are born to do it (It actually says we are born to run long and very slow, we are not built for speed) I am sure there are some really serious runners on this site that can give better advise than I can!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendation. I'm definitely going to "check it out" (of the library -- get it? get it? :embarassed: ).

Especially since pretty much my entire family has given me the this whole BS "the human body is not designed to run for long periods of time" lecture since I started training for the half marathon I want to run in 13 months. It's funny and sad that my counterargument - "the human body was not made to be over a hundred pounds overweight, either" - falls on (severely overweight/morbidly obese) deaf ears. :frown: Seriously, how does one possibly rationalize that running is worse for the human body than being morbidly obese? :grumble:
  • AnneElise
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendation. I'm definitely going to "check it out" (of the library -- get it? get it? :embarassed: ).

Especially since pretty much my entire family has given me the this whole BS "the human body is not designed to run for long periods of time" lecture since I started training for the half marathon I want to run in 13 months. It's funny and sad that my counterargument - "the human body was not made to be over a hundred pounds overweight, either" - falls on (severely overweight/morbidly obese) deaf ears. :frown: Seriously, how does one possibly rationalize that running is worse for the human body than being morbidly obese? :grumble:

This book will blow your socks off, you will be able to totally win your arguement with your family! We are made to run, we are just doing it wrong!
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options

I've been doing C25K and I love it!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Does the book encourage running barefoot? I ask only because I've heard that is (obviously) more natural and better for the foot.
  • Majot
    Majot Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Someone recommended this book to me in September. I've had it on hold at the library ever since then, but there are a lot of people ahead of me. So, I haven't actually gotten the book yet. Hopefully, I will read it soon!
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    I need to read this. I keep getting spurts of motivation to run again...and haven't. New year...I need to run again!
  • deedun
    deedun Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Ok, now I'm intrigued.

How are we doing it wrong and how are we supposed to be running?

I haven't ran for a very long time and that is one of my new year's resolutions - to learn to run again and be able to work up my fitness so this is very apt and interesting for me now.
  • AnneElise
    Options
    Does the book encourage running barefoot? I ask only because I've heard that is (obviously) more natural and better for the foot.

Yes, it does. It is one of the main points of the book and it gives you the research and success behind it.
  • AnneElise
    Options
    Ok, now I'm intrigued.

How are we doing it wrong and how are we supposed to be running?

I haven't ran for a very long time and that is one of my new year's resolutions - to learn to run again and be able to work up my fitness so this is very apt and interesting for me now.

This book is perfect for you! Its so good. I don't want to give away the secrets on here! I encourage you to read it but if you want a summary just message me in private and I will tell you :smile:
  • kath711
    kath711 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Oka, i'm interested as well. I have been running on and off for years but cannot make it much past 3-4 miles based on my slow pace and get headaches if i run any faster. maybe this book will give me some tips.
    thanks!
    kath
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Who wrote this book please?
  • AnneElise
    Options
    Who wrote this book please?

Christopher McDougall
  • SpiveyMay
    SpiveyMay Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I had this book ordered when this thread came up and just finished it last night. It was amazing! I could't wait to get up at 4:30 this morning just so I could run.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I'm always interested when someone has a good take on what humans did back in the day before modern conviences.

I just placed hold for this at the library. Have no idea when I'll get it, but it looks like a fast read.

I have completed the Couch-to-5K program. And I would recomend it to new and begginning runners. Let's put it this way. I weighed 310 lbs when I started, and didn't blow up my knees. In fact my knees improved their strength during the course of the program. Of course I dropped 30 lbs during that 9 weeks too. I've ran a 2 Mile, and 5K Races. Have another 5K race coming up in a week, plus I'm looking at some longer races this spring. A Half Marathon is on my mind, but I'm not ready to commit to it.

Here's a link to the version I used.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

This morning I finished Week 3 of a program called Gateway to 8K.