Eating back Excercise Calories

Options
So, I have been trying to eat back some of my excercise calories and was wondering how to do it without going overboard. I am trying to eat every 3-4 hours and nothing after dinner. That is making it hard to fit in more snacks throughout the day. I eat breakfast at around 9 am, then lunch around 11:30 or 12:00 pm, an afternoon snack around 3pm and then dinner between 6:30 and 7:00 pm. I have heard you shouldn't eat after 7:00pm. I don't want to make my meals huge just to add calories. I am trying to be conscious about eating clean...just need some ideas.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to not eat after 7!
  • buffyanne1
    buffyanne1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I dont eat them back.To my way of thinking,if I workout two hours a day to burn calories why on earth would i want to eat them back?Whats the point in that?Some people think you have to eat every calorie this site gives you,I dont agree with this theory.Good luck in your journey.
  • ShaSimone
    ShaSimone Posts: 276
    Options
    Maybe include some higher calorie but whole foods, like nuts or avocados that will increase your calorie intake but not to the extreme, and they are good for you.
  • flyingpurplemonkey
    flyingpurplemonkey Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion, if you're not hungry, and you're losing weight at a rate that seems reasonable to you, you shouldn't feel obligated to eat more. You're body will generally let you know if it's not happy with what you are giving it.
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Not eating in the evening is a myth. Latest studies have proven it wrong. Problem is people tend to eat more in the evening. If you have the amount under control there is no problem with an evening snack and if you have one you are much less likely to feel the need to raid the refrigerator late at night.

http://nutrition.about.com/od/askyournutritionist/f/nes.htm
  • marinweb
    marinweb Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Eat after 7. There's no reason not too.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/meal-frequency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html

Eat when you're hungry but make sure to eat 'healthy", eg. Brown rice, chicken, veggies...
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    There is no reason not to eat after 7. I eat my dinner at 8:30 and usually have ice cream at midnight, right before going to bed. Unless it causes problems for you sleeping wise, eat when you want.
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    my dietician told me not to eat past 6. Your body retains that as fat. The only exception is for diabetics, They need to because of blood sugar levels
  • Reneefit135
    Reneefit135 Posts: 170
    Options
    I have been trying to decide rather or not to eat back the calories because i haven't been losing. However several on here have lost a lot more when they did eat back the exercise calories. Most days i want to eat them bc 1200 is so very hard to stick to. Im leaning towards that its best not to eat them back at least not all. That being said if you are having trouble fitting them all in maybe see how you do without eating back all the exercise calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    my dietician told me not to eat past 6. Your body retains that as fat. The only exception is for diabetics, They need to because of blood sugar levels

Not true, unless you are eating more than your maintenance calories. If u are eating at a deficit you will not put on weight whatever time you eat.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    This is not true. Your dietician needs to check their facts.
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to decide rather or not to eat back the calories because i haven't been losing. However several on here have lost a lot more when they did eat back the exercise calories. Most days i want to eat them bc 1200 is so very hard to stick to. Im leaning towards that its best not to eat them back at least not all. That being said if you are having trouble fitting them all in maybe see how you do without eating back all the exercise calories.
    I think it just depends on the person - I have heard that you can eat your cals back too ....my bmr is 1550 the cals they have me set at is 1200...I tried eating just the 1200 the first week and lost 3 lbs.....the next week I tried eating between my BMR and TDEE (2200) and exercising -didnt lose anything. lol I think sometimes the more we worry and fret the less this will all work as stress about anything causes a raise in cortisol which causes fat stores to rise.....
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Eat after 7. There's no reason not too.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/meal-frequency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html

Eat when you're hungry but make sure to eat 'healthy", eg. Brown rice, chicken, veggies...

I always feel icky if I eat that late....but I usually am in bed by nine so i dont really have the time to digest my food I dont think.
  • b14a3w3
    b14a3w3 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I don't eat or drink after 6:30 because I have horrible dreams if I do and I have to get up in the wee hours to go to the bathroom...which I hate.
    I don't eat back my exercise calories because I put the exercise in at the very end of the day and then I don't have to get confused or do subtraction. But, I am still in the losing stage and will have to re-evaluate when I get to goal.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options

And what is YOUR education to be able to say this... Something you read on the internet? sigh... if I even LOOK at food in the evening I gain... I am a firm believer in not eating after 7pm...
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'd agree with others that say that eating after 7 won't hurt your weight loss progress. It gets lumped into the same category as needing to eat breakfast to lose weight. Those are personal preferences and the key is to do what works for you.

However, if you really don't want to eat after 7, then you can add higher calorie clean foods into your diet. Peanut butter is a great one that won't make you feel like you're eating more, but will add calories. Avocado, nuts, cheese... not too filling, but will add calories. My favorite way to use up my leftover calories is a bowl of ice cream before bed! :happy: LOL

Eating back exercise calories is a good idea because it keeps your metabolism boosted and helps you to prepare for maintenance. That's not to say that you can't lose weight if you don't eat them back, but (IMO, and I think others as well) you're conditioning your body to function on a smaller amount of calories, regardless of your activity level.

I guess it all boils down to... do whatever works for you which will allow you to live optimally and maintain your progress when you reach your goal! Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to not eat after 7!

^^^^ THIS!!! There is no reason not to eat after 7!! I do it ALL the time. I don't get home from work until 6, I'm working out by 7, and dinner is sometimes not until 9!!! It has NEVER hindered my progress. If the body is hungry and need fuel it doesn't matter what time it is...my kitchen is always open.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

Not true!!!!!
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options

And what is YOUR education to be able to say this... Something you read on the internet? sigh... if I even LOOK at food in the evening I gain... I am a firm believer in not eating after 7pm...

Common sense. Experience. Over 140lbs of it. Where's your info from, hmmm? Magazines and other crapola that tell you not to eat in the evening? That where you get that lovely attitude as well? Your body doesn't dictate the time of day. It doesn't suddenly go "ermahgerd, it's after 7, that food is going straight to your thighs" or whatever. That's not how the human body works. Science fail.
    More than likely, people eat extraneous foods and stuff with crappy nutritional content in the evening. And overindulge. Hence the gain. If you're within a decent calorie allowance and at a good macro ratio, you can eat whenever you bloody well please. I do, and it's worked for me for years. If you personally gain by eating anything late at night regardless of nutrition, you're either a medical marvel or dishonest about what you eat.
  • o2bADyer
    o2bADyer Posts: 208
    Options
    I work late, so I try to eat my "dinner" at work before I leave. Then, after my workout, I often make myself some eggs (protein) after I get home. By this time, it's near 10 p.m. It works for me.

I think the bottom line is to find what works best for you. Everyone is different...so focus on YOU and get there through some trial and error. Good luck to you! :happy: