Experience of spinning classes

Options
Hey there! I've recently been taking spinning classes and I've also been doing 30 minutes on the stationary bike most days in the gym (I've just gotten so tired of the treadmill). I'm wondering though if any of you have much experience with spinning classes and if so do you have any positive or negative feedback about it? Personally I started the classes because I find I sweat a lot more doing the same amount of spinning than I would doing intervals on the treadmill (which is what I usually do). Does sweating more actually mean I'm "working out" more though? Also I'm a bit worried that too much time on the bike would bulk up my leg muscles, I do want defined muscles just not HUGE ones! Any advice, suggestions or feedback at all would be hugely appreciated!! Thanks so much :)

Replies

• ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I love spinning classes. I don't have time to take them as much as I want to now, but pre-kids I would go 3x a week, and I loved the burn. IME they burn a ton of calories if you are putting in the effort. It's like anything else, you get what you put into it. I find working out in a class setting pushes me to work a lot harder. When I was doing spin regularly, I lost quite a lot of weight (though I was doing heavy weightlifting too) and I never got bulky at all.
  • SamanthaAnnM
    SamanthaAnnM Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Spinning is my all time favorite exercise class. I used to do it 3 times a week and it got me into the best shape of my life! The great thing is that there is usually a wide range of fitness levels in the class, from people who are interested in weight loss to seasoned cyclists who are doing some cross training. This is because the workout is completely customizable, meaning you choose how much resistance to put on the bike. The instructors are always really motivating and keep things interesting with lots of different exercises. I enjoy switching from standing "off the bike" to sitting, sprints, and climbs where you periodically add resistance to simulate biking up a hill. It is a great workout for your legs and core and also great cardio. I used to come out of the classes dripping in sweat. Make sure you bring a water bottle and a towel because you will need them! I highly recommend spin classes! Oh, and it didn't make me bulky, just very toned.
  • lottabottle
    lottabottle Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have just started spinning and feel amazing after every class,the buzz stops me eating:)
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I HATE to LOVE spin class!! I am always secretly cursing the instructor in my head but it's soooo worth it!
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i just started spinning! today was my 2nd day & i'm LOVING burning so many calories in an hour & sweating out all the environmental toxins! ♥ it's a fun environment & motivating. the time flies by & watching those calories burn off on my HRM makes me work harder!
  • sjlockyer912
    Options
    I also just got hooked on spin class! I was worried about my legs bulking up but I have noticed that the spin 'veterans' don't have bulky legs, I'm sure some of it has to do with genetics but I don't think your going to get body builder legs from spin class:)
  • rguihen
    rguihen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I'm just back from a class there, absolutely wrecked but loving it!! I'll definitely be keeping it up!!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Just joined a new gym with spinning classes multiple times a day. I will be going to the classes after work as soon as this cold passes and I can breathe!!
  • thealphabetpony
    Options
    i really like the class, it's a great workout and you can choose if you really want to push yourself. my only problem i've come across is that my knees are really sore the next day, and i can't figure out why. i've done the classes plenty of times over a few years and they always feel like something is wrong near the end and the next day! it's frustrating because i do enjoy the workout!
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Spinning is my second fav after running. If I can get to the classes I try to! I feel like I get a good workout in each time. To me, you get out what you put in... so you have to give it your all.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Spinning is about 1,000,000 times more fun than the treadmill. Sweating more doesn't indicate more calories burned; it indicates environment. Spin rooms are usually closed off and have many bodies working hard against the hvac. That's why you're pouring sweat. And check out the spinning instructors legs. They'll be amongst the skinniest in the gym. I had to reduce my cycling because it worked against me building mass. So spin away and don't worry for one second about bulking. Never happens.
  • rblakeman
    rblakeman Posts: 25
    Options
    I have done spin classes I loved...and classes I hated; a lot of it depends on the instructor. I recently got a heart rate monitor and wore it during a spin class...burned only 477 calories in an hour class because I could not get and keep my heart rate up the way I can when I run. I worked very hard, and my legs were completely worn out after the class, but for cardio, running works better for me (burning 600+ calories in an hour).