OK OK I concede to protein powder

Options

Replies

• TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I like the Dymatize ISO-100. It's 106 calories, 0 fat, 1 carb, 24 protien, 0 cholesterol and 50 sodium. I have tried the gormet chocolate and vanilla bean. Both are great and it mixes well. I only use water too. There are other flavors but I haven't tried them yet. Oh and it is very affordable.
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I drink body fortress from walmart. The choc peanut butter is my fav with some skim milk or unsweetened almond milk for lower calories.....
  • kmjenkins
    kmjenkins Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    GNC Amp 60 Vanilla is good (strawberry is disgusting btw), and low carb and tastes good mixed with water.
  • mnishi
    mnishi Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    From looking at your Food diary (just a few days) it seems to me you're getting plenty of protien? Are you trying to consume a lot of protien for any particular reason?

Often people think they should be consuming way more protien then they actually need. In my opinion, I don't think you really need protien powder unless you are trying to build muscle like a competitive body builder would.

I completey agree with this. 100 grams a day is so insufficient that you're losing hair? I think you might want to get a second opinion.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Doesn't really look like you have a protien problem based on your diary. Do you take a multi-vitamin? If not, maybe try that and some biotin. Biotin is great for hair and nails. There could also be some other underlying problems like thyroid. Did they do blood work to check that?
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I would check your zinc levels
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    Use almond milk over normal milk for less cals. Just use water when you can. I use ON Gold Standard Extreme Milk Chocolate. Only one I've found that I can enjoy with just water (chug it if you need to)

You can also check out Optimum Nutritions Any Whey protein. A little less protein than other brands, but you can mix it in with all sorts of different food items if you don't like the thought of drinking protein shakes.
  • mnishi
    mnishi Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Also, here is a list of some great, low calorie protein sources:

Spinach
    Brocolli
    Quinoa
    Chickpeas
    tofu

Personally, I'd try these out before drinking "*kitten* in a bag"
  • 19bulldog60
    19bulldog60 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I use Body Fortress Chocolate from Wal-Mart . Mixed with water. 140 calories. I use it after a workout.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll look into a second opinon too.
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Why do u HAVE to use the gross stuff? Toss it! Try Metobolic Reset its tastes great and has fiber, and only 130 cals in 2 scoops, i use 1 scoop and blend with strawberries and yogurt. Its $45.00 at the health food store but only $20something at netrition.com
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I mix 4 oz unsweetened cranberry juice with 1 scoop chocolate whey protein in a blender. I add frozen strawberries til it's thick (don't add them one at a time or they will clump together) and add some splenda to taste. Makes a great smoothie! You can throw in some frozen blueberries too.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I use Jay Robb egg White protein Vanilla
  • zgochenour
    zgochenour Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    +1 for using unsweetened almond milk. 35 cal/cup, mixes very well, and much much tastier than water.
  • tishad58
    tishad58 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I've been using About Time whey protein- only four ingredients. 100 calories, 25 grams protein, no fat, no carbs, no sugar. Stevia sweetened. It's expensive though- $32 for a 2lb container.

I mix mine with Blue Diamond vanilla, or original, unsweetened almond milk. One cup adds only 40 calories, and it tastes much richer than using water.

I really like the vanilla because I can flavor it however I want to. If I add two T cocoa powder I have a really rich chocolate (30 calories added) or I can add fruit like peaches and raspberries (peach melba), or any other fruit. :bigsmile:

Are you on any medications? Sometimes hair loss is a medication side effect. I recall one med I took some years ago- topamax- and I thought I was going to go bald- I lost hair by the handful.

* edited for a glaring spelling error that drove me nuts :)
  • choochoobell
    choochoobell Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 0RESET0
    0RESET0 Posts: 128
    Options
    How long ago did you switch to 0 calorie sweateners and soda? You protein intake is fine. it could be a little higher but shouldn't be the cause of your problem. The daily multi you are taking should be covering any deficiencies you may have in your diet.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Ok, this is going to be hard to do, but you really need to try to get 250 grams of protein in a day for a person at your height and weight. DO NOT mix with milk or juice. Try using something like Crystal Light to mask the flavor of the protein powder. I like the citrus flavors mixed with vanilla protein. Kind of tastes like orange creamcicles.

I second whoever said that Body Fortress brand at Wal Mart tastes good. It is affordable, too. If you've never tried a particular brand before, get the smallest size they sell, just in case you don't like the flavor. I have a gigantic tub of some protein powder that is horrible. I spent $28 on it, and I can't get the stuff past my nose. :sick:
  • KatiD83
    KatiD83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I mix 1.5 tablespoons of jay robb protein powder with 1/2 cup of whole foods fat free Greek yogurt. It's the best tasting powder I've found. I love the tropical dreamsicle!
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Buy some Questbars. It's packed with protein, low carbs and not any of "the bad stuff." Plus, they taste great!
    I use both Quest Bars and protein powder, but I have a much higher protein goal. For protein powder, I've been using Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein - 1 scoop pre workout, 1 scoop post workout and 1 scoop in a evening smoothie.