FEMALES only please!! (ADVICE NEEDED)

Options
I hope I'm not the only one that has trouble with this. When its the TOM (Tim Of The Month) I just want to eat! Not just chocolate but EVERYTHING, mostly fatty nongood foods and this will last till my period ends. I was just wondering what other females do to control that type of eating.

Replies

• Trilaina
    Trilaina Posts: 61
    Options
    I stock up on protein bars (zone perfect is a decent brand),then I can feel like I'm eating candy bars and the like, but actually get some nutrition out of them. The cookie dough is actually pretty good. :)
  • kazoooo8
    kazoooo8 Posts: 71
    Options
    I know what they "say" to do, but I'm like you and have always had a willpower issue at TOM. I do give in, in little portions, cuz when my TOM is here I get really emotional too so if I completely gorge out and give in,then I have to deal with the emotional side as well. So you might try just giving in to a treat a little so you don't feel deprived and hopefully it will pass. Maybe get one Hershey's (if you really need choc) and make it last the whole week of TOM if you can. I'm sorry I can't be of more help but I do know what you are going through!!
  • DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Every time I walk in the kitchen I make myself have a glass of water, and if I'm still craving something I'll go have a shower or clean up something and use that time to think about if I should eat or not...
  • blondie0942
    blondie0942 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same way! 3 weeks out of the month, I have very little trouble staying away from unhealthy foods... But when aunt Flo comes to visit, I can't get enough of the fast food :S If I do eat out, I make sure to order the smallest portions (small or dollar menu size) and ALWAYS work out that day. I find that I can still indulge in McDonald's and still lose weight this way.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I have that same issue - I don't know if you are doing a certain type of diet, but the one thing I found that works for me and most every diet is I carry several different flavors of Extra Dessert Delights gum and chew those when i want something sweet and chewy. Chocolate chip mint is my favorite.

If you are doing Atkins, they have some good bars and shakes that can help with chocolate/crunchy cravings.

hang in there and good luck on your journey!
  • amystyran
    amystyran Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    yep! it's terrible for me because i'm on for at least 2 weeks, normally longer. so it's half a month of pure desire for chocolate, cake, and burgers :'( i just try fill myself up with healthy foods or exercise to take my mind off of it. or i cry like a ***** and complain to everyone that i hate the world and need cake. either way, you need to resist!
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I have serious choc cravings starting from a week before until the end of my TOM. I eat teddy grahms. Stil taste like chocolate but not nearly as fattening as eating a candy bar. I also try to go out more (see a movie or something) so i'm away from the kitchen.

Edited to add: keep a water bottle with you or drink tea. Good for whenever you feel a craving coming on.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    When its the TOM (Tim Of The Month

my tim of the month is tim olyphant.

god, i crack myself up.

anyway, doing low carb, i have nary a physical craving.. but i also don't get a period. so yay birth control.
  • mamalosunshine
    Options
    It a small peice of dark chocolate in the morning. Or when you are craving drink a glass of room temp water! Cold water doesn't make you feel full as long as warmer water does. But I hear ya, around that time I want to eat everything in site and at times I do. And its almost that TOM so lets see if I can knock those cravings!
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I totally binge. I'm not proud of it, and I'm still working toward controlling it.I always feel kind of ashamed after :grumble:
  • natasha150
    natasha150 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i never buy chocolate bars but instead opt for the high end small chocolates like lindt choclate balls and treat myself to one a day.
  • sukiheart
    sukiheart Posts: 8
    Options
    I'm having some serious issues with that today. PMS has made this week really, really difficult. this is the first month I've been counting calories, so I haven't thought up any strategies yet. Which has made this last week terrible for my calorie count. I'm going to have to exercise a lot,
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    ... mostly fatty nongood foods ...

FYI, dietary fat will NOT make you fat.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I have serious choc cravings starting from a week before until the end of my TOM. I eat teddy grahms. Stil taste like chocolate but not nearly as fattening as eating a candy bar. I also try to go out more (see a movie or something) so i'm away from the kitchen.

Edited to add: keep a water bottle with you or drink tea. Good for whenever you feel a craving coming on.

Caffeine helps to stave off cravings so the tea or even coffee or Pepsi Zero is a good idea as well.
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Yes! I usually buy a bag of those little tiny Snickers bars. I eat one and hide the rest in the freezer. One is enough to satisfy my craving and then I forget about the rest until the next craving, usually the next day. I figure that eating one or two tiny ones a day is better than one or two regular ones a day.
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    When its the TOM (Tim Of The Month

my tim of the month is tim olyphant.

god, i crack myself up.

anyway, doing low carb, i have nary a physical craving.. but i also don't get a period. so yay birth control.

This is totally off the subject, but I like him too! He is awesome in so many ways! :love:
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    TOM has nothing on me. Drink some peppermint tea - it's a craving suppressant.
  • Bobbie_89
    Bobbie_89 Posts: 146
    Options
    yep! it's terrible for me because i'm on for at least 2 weeks, normally longer. so it's half a month of pure desire for chocolate, cake, and burgers :'( i just try fill myself up with healthy foods or exercise to take my mind off of it. or i cry like a ***** and complain to everyone that i hate the world and need cake. either way, you need to resist!

Mine dont last that long, BUT I had a baby almost a year ago and my periods still haven't gotten back to normal yet so sometimes I'll skip a month or have 2 in the same month and it KILLS me lol. Right now I'm wanting pizza!! Luckly I dont have any in my house!
  • mistimn
    mistimn Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I try to go to the fruit first and the protein bars help as well especially larabars...they are sooo good!
  • HlthyActvst
    HlthyActvst Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I break off a piece of organic, dark chocolate. It's so potent, you don't need as much as milk chocolate. The trick is to actually taste it (aka pay attention while you eat it) and when you feel satisfied put it away.