FEMALES only please!! (ADVICE NEEDED)

Options

Replies

• NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    TOM has nothing on me. Drink some peppermint tea - it's a craving suppressant.

Cool -I will have to give that a try! I need to buy some peppermint tea.

As for cravings, I'm still playing around with what works. I'm trying to keep healthier foods around me like grapes, apples, baby carrots, celery sticks... I'm also drinking more H2O.

I have more of a salty craving than sweet, which is horrible pre-TOM. The last time or two that the TOM has hit, I've eaten guacamole from Chipotle with Multigrain chips from Food Should Taste Good.

If I have a sweet craving, I have dark chocolate squares around.

I guess my idea is to give in a little, but to do it in a healthier way. If my cravings go berserk, I try to make up for it exercise wise.

GOOD LUCK!

14496283.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • chocoholicdiva
    chocoholicdiva Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I allow myself one night for Chinese food. This is the one food I crave the most around this TOM. I also have a biminig problem with craving sweets, especially chocolate (hence my username) so I buy things like chocolate dipped granola bars (the 100 calorie kind), chocolate flavored candies and miniature chocolates from Laura Secord to satisfy the problem. Laura Secord miniatures are 36 calories each (72 calories for 2) and they taste delicious. Works for me!!! :love: :bigsmile:
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Problem: I CRAVE CHIPS! ROAR!
    Solution: Make kale chips, I like chili powder on mine or different spices

Problem: But it's the dip I crave :(
    Solution: Make guacamole, dip red peppers :)

Problem: I CRAVE ICE CREAM! ROAR!
    Solution: Freeze a nanner, eat, add things and blend it if necessary

Problem: I CRAVE CHOCOLATE! ROAR!
    Solution: cocoa in greek yogurt or dip your frozen nanner in some cocoa

I think that covers all the basics :D
  • jforferris01
    jforferris01 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I hear ya..I like chocolate so I have been stocking up on stuff that is chocolate like even though you said that its everything. But I have also made sure that there is alot of protein in the things I am eating. Plus I was in a study for weight loss and they said eat something and wait 20mins if you still want something else than you are still hungry. And if you eat out the house and home then try to exercise a little more than usual. I am a binge eater. I eat when Im stress...sad...bored...lonely...I eat all the time. So what I have been doing is bringing up the protein. I was also told that little snacks throughout the day help so that you dont feel like eating everything in the house. Try to have some nuts around the house, 100 calorie snacks arent bad as long as you dont eat the whole box, make jello if you like that with fat free coolwhip you could eat the whole bowl of jello for like less than 100 calories if you get the sugar free kind. Same if you like pudding if you use skin milk and sugar free. Good luck.
  • shadesofjade77
    Options
    I don't have TOM anymore because I am on the birth control shot, but I still have those times when I'm craving chocolate or sweets. Like some mentioned, the dark chocolate works well. I also enjoy the Twilight Intense Dark Chocolate. I get the individually wrapped squares for better portion control. And if you haven't tried Clif Protein Bars, they are really good. I've tried so many different protein bars, and I'd have to say they're the best (organic - and no high fructose corn syrup). They have one called White Chocolate Macadamia Nut and it is awesome. My whole family loves them. They also have Clif Builder Barsand they're pretty good, too (have more protein). Oh, and they make very good granola bars. But you shouldn't deny yourself stuff on occasion or it'll make you crazy. It's that human nature thing about always wanting what we can't have. Take time to enjoy what you're going to have, so it feels satisfying to you.
  • pamalama2001
    pamalama2001 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Okay so I'm not crazy, good to know. It's sweets for me, and although I'm new to this site, but my own history is to deny during PMS, then break and binge, then feel guilty and give up the diet for good. This month I gave into the Cheesecake that was calling my name, and then the brownie the next day. But, this month I didn't freak out and quit like I usually would. I think that's the key, allowing yourself some slack, cheat a little if need be, but then move on. I just don't want to live where I can never have cheesecake or a brownie or anything else.
  • Themuseinme
    Themuseinme Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You shouldnt be as concerned, cause there's lots of research shows that our metabolism's go up 5 - 15% at this time.
  • Bobbie_89
    Bobbie_89 Posts: 146
    Options
    Ha! Yes, good topic. When I am eating healthy, my cravings for sugar diminish, except for the week leading up to my period. Then the desire begins to creep in with increasing persistence. I try to work with it, rather than entirely fight it. As with any challenge, have a game plan. Perhaps make that the week (or better yet, just a couple of days, when cravings are most fierce) for planned treats. One doesn't need to overdue it, just work it into your eating and exercise plan.

Also, make your treat selections of better quality than just grabbing any junk food. I love trying to make treats as "healthy" as possible, using ingredients as high quality, clean, and whole as I can. While searching for dessert recipes with this in mind, I found a promising looking blog. Maybe some of you have tried recipes from it? The blog is called, "Chocolate-Covered Katie", which appears to have some interesting and tasty looking offerings, that I am inclined to try very soon. I like that treats have their place, and they don't all need to be overly loaded with sugar or chemicals.

chocolatecoveredkatie.com/chocolate-covered-recipes/
    or search for "Chocolate-Covered Katie", or healthy desserts, etc.

I hope this helps!

Thank you so much!! I'm going to check that chocolate covered katie out!
  • Bobbie_89
    Options
    One Twilight Instense Dark Chocolate Square and Sleepytime Mint tea at night...........It feels very indulgent.

If you are craving Pizza do a Flatbread Pizza made at home. I actually prefer it because it is so thin and crispy.

Also nothing wrong with a lean burger and some oven fries or wedges. My kids have fallen in love with my homemade oven wedges and actually prefer them to commercial frozen brands.

Indulge, jusst in moderation. Believe me you aren't the only one that has problems with cravings during TOM. My thing is CAKE.....just haven't totally figured that one out yet.

Thank you!! That helps alot!
    Ha, sorry I can't help you on cake either. I'm not much of a cake person anymore! TOOOO sweet for me now. But my daughter's birthday is rolling up so I'll be having a piece!
  • fullofhope01
    Options
    I have to agree with you about the protein. My goal is 90 grams a day and I fill so stuffed, I can't even imagine wanting to put one more thing in my mouth! So my advice, increase your protein and see if that helps.
  • Bobbie_89
    Options
    I hear ya..I like chocolate so I have been stocking up on stuff that is chocolate like even though you said that its everything. But I have also made sure that there is alot of protein in the things I am eating. Plus I was in a study for weight loss and they said eat something and wait 20mins if you still want something else than you are still hungry. And if you eat out the house and home then try to exercise a little more than usual. I am a binge eater. I eat when Im stress...sad...bored...lonely...I eat all the time. So what I have been doing is bringing up the protein. I was also told that little snacks throughout the day help so that you dont feel like eating everything in the house. Try to have some nuts around the house, 100 calorie snacks arent bad as long as you dont eat the whole box, make jello if you like that with fat free coolwhip you could eat the whole bowl of jello for like less than 100 calories if you get the sugar free kind. Same if you like pudding if you use skin milk and sugar free. Good luck.

Ha, oh boy...the jello...It is a VERY good low calorie snack I will admit but no more jello for me...In 2003 thats all I was able to eat for a week in the hospital cause I was having my galbladder removed and they wouldn't let me eat anything but that....I did lose a good amout of weight that week, but gained it back ha go figure right?! lol
  • Bobbie_89
    Options
    You shouldnt be as concerned, cause there's lots of research shows that our metabolism's go up 5 - 15% at this time.

Oh wow, I didn't know that! Thats good to know! Thanks!
  • Bobbie_89
    Options
    I have to agree with you about the protein. My goal is 90 grams a day and I fill so stuffed, I can't even imagine wanting to put one more thing in my mouth! So my advice, increase your protein and see if that helps.

Thanks! I might have to up it in the 100s I guess. On most days its about 80-90, but I chase after an 9month baby everyday to lol.
  • Bobbie_89
    Options
    Thank you ladies!!! Nice to know that I'm not the only eating freak during that time lol. Actually reading all the replies has calmed me down now to where I can actaully eat something SMALL and not something big! I'm not much of a sweet eater anymore. I haven't touched a candy bar in 2months, but I have had chocolate protein bars. Their just as good as the regular candy bars. Thanks again ladies! BIG BIG BIG HELP!
  • CaliBird
    CaliBird Posts: 10
    Options
    I tend to indulge the first couple of days but make sure to work out alot then I look at my thinsporation pictures. That usually keeps me in check till the urge passes
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    yep! it's terrible for me because i'm on for at least 2 weeks, normally longer. so it's half a month of pure desire for chocolate, cake, and burgers :'( i just try fill myself up with healthy foods or exercise to take my mind off of it. or i cry like a ***** and complain to everyone that i hate the world and need cake. either way, you need to resist!

Mine dont last that long, BUT I had a baby almost a year ago and my periods still haven't gotten back to normal yet so sometimes I'll skip a month or have 2 in the same month and it KILLS me lol. Right now I'm wanting pizza!! Luckly I dont have any in my house!

birth control is the best invention for women, seriously.
    i have an iud and its amazing. no bleeding, no PMS, no nothing.

Not every woman can use bc though. I cant I always end up with horrible side effects. Wish i didnt. I miss not having a period.
  • sherronh
    sherronh Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Try to stay with low glycemic foods so that the cravings don't come on even more!
  • QuestToLose
    QuestToLose Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    the same thing happens to me during that time. but i allow myself to eat whatever i'm craving for but make sure I do not eat past 6pm. I drink some tea after 6. I realized that when it's TOM, i gain a pound or 2 but it falls right off when it's over. I would not advice you give in to the cravings but if they are very bad, do it but in moderation and make sure to exercise enough. Goodluck! :smile:
  • SunshineMaye
    Options
    I hate PMS I get so crabby and every time my husband looks at me wrong it make me cry. Which really makes me mad.

But what I really like is these, when I feel down.

Oskri Organics - Coconut Bar with Organic Dark Chocolate - 1.9 oz.
    Supplement Facts
    Serving Size: 1 bar (53g)
    Servings Per Container: 1

Amount Per Serving %DV*

Calories 190

Fat Calories 90

Total Fat 10 g 15%

Sat. Fat 8 g 40%

Trans Fat 0 g

Cholest. 0 mg 0%

Sodium 25 mg 1%

Total Carb 24 g 8%

Fiber 2 g 8%

Sugars 18 g

Protein 2 g

Vitamin A 0%

Vitamin C 2%

Caclium 2%

Iron 2%
  • rahrahrita
    rahrahrita Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Just indulge... a little bit.
    For example, if you want chocolate, try eating a Dove dark chocolate square or something. If you want ice cream, try freezing some Greek yogurt and mix in whatever flavor you want (like cocoa powder or sweeten it with fruit or Stevia or honey).
    Whatever craving you choose to satisfy, do it wisely and in moderation.