Strange issue, YAWNING during workouts!

Options
I've been doing the Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 program and I'm losing weight and toning up like crazy! One issue I have is that I yawn A LOT throughout my workouts! I've tried really focusing on my breathing and nothing seems to help. I've googled my problem and I havent really found any helpful information. I have asthma but working out usually doesnt effect it. And I don't think the yawning is asthma related because I never feel abnormally short of breath and its never painful or difficult to breathe. So far its not really affecting me its just really annoying and sometimes slows me down. Anyone have any tips on this or should I just learn to deal?

Replies

• DaleAnn82
    DaleAnn82 Posts: 2
    Options
    I am there with you! I yawn a lot during my Insanity work outs. Usually about 1/2 way through. I don't know why, but my husband just keeps telling me it's because I need more oxygen... who knows. But I am just dealing with it. I do still smoke though, so maybe it is that I need more oxygen...Let me know if you come up with a "cure".
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I do it too. I just think it's because I'm bored and need to switch up my workouts
  • mraemoore
    mraemoore Posts: 11
    Options
    Well according to the internet its a rare issue and I should get checked out by a doctor but I figure as long as I'm ABLE to breathe and I'm not experiencing any circulatory problems like light headedness or anything then I'm just going to deal with it. I don't smoke so I doubt your smoking contributes to your issue. I just wish I knew how to stop it!
  • natasha150
    natasha150 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing when working out.

it definitely has to do with your body trying to get a bit more oxygen. but to date it has not caused an issue in the way i train - but in your case, if it persists and becomes a bit of a nuisance then might be an idea to go to the gp for a general health check.

good luck.
  • yerfgirl
    yerfgirl Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I yawn too. It's especially bad if I've been at work sitting at my desk all day. I am not that concerned about it. I do tell the instructor that it's not them, it's me. Once I get moving it goes away after a while.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I've always experienced this same problem
  • MooMooooo
    MooMooooo Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    This used to happen to me all the time during my pump classes.

The instructor used to threaten me with push ups if I didn't stop. arg.

I figured it was because I was tired (and I was) later I took a course of iron pills and I haven't had an issue since.

BTW all this talk of yawning is making me yawn... :O
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    What I've been told:

We yawn when our brains need more oxygen, and not necessarily when we're tired.I would think yawning during workouts is understandable if that is, medically, the case.
  • DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Just a heads up, a recent article came out that points to yawning as a way to send cool blood to the brain. So when you are working out and your core is starting to heat up, you may be yawning so that your body can work on cooling itself, mainly the brain and above the shoulders.

Edited to add the link: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/09/110919171340.htm
  • Sappy320
    Sappy320 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If the yawning occurs it means you are dehydrated. I have had the same problem. Driking a bunch of water when you workout won't help with this, but making sure you stay hydrated through out the day will prevent the yawning during your next workout.
  • brttnyhrrll
    Options
    OMG i thought i was the only one. i also do the jillian workouts.

& the water thing... drink 8+ cups before 5pm...i usually workout at like 6 or 7 & i still yawn like cray.
  • tom_olech
    tom_olech Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    A yawn is just the bodies way of getting more oxygen into your system when your not at the optimal level or arousal (for those of you who never grew up, i do not mean that sexually!!)...my adivce is try pumping yourself up during a workout...do alittle cardio before, maybe listen to some faster paced music, jump up and down....whatever works
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I have been yawning the whole time I have been reading through this...lol I also yawn during my workouts...I thought it was just me b/c I know you are supposed to gain energy from working out but I would yawn a whole lot...I am going to check out the link someone gave above and also try to drink more water and see if that helps at all...Thanks for the tip, I wish I had some to give though...
  • lisablueeyes
    lisablueeyes Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Phew... i thought I was the only one who's yawning during my workouts!!! I know in my case its because I do need more oxygen!!
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Try breathing through both your nose and mouth. If the "cooling of the brain" theory is correct, breathing through you nose will help with that, thus you may experience less yawning. Plus, all the exercise physiologists say to do this anyway so it won't hurt to try...
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Just a heads up, a recent article came out that points to yawning as a way to send cool blood to the brain. So when you are working out and your core is starting to heat up, you may be yawning so that your body can work on cooling itself, mainly the brain and above the shoulders.

Edited to add the link: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/09/110919171340.htm

I would totally buy this, cause I wake up in the morning and usually by the time I get to work am awake :) But, where I work is terrible about being hot, and it's a physical job, so within an hour I am both sweating like crazy and yawning my head off. Always thought heat was the issue.
  • hillbillybumpkin
    Options
    To the best of my knowledge, yawning has always been an indication of low oxygen. I'd say it is your increased workout and lack of proper breathing. try slowing it down a bit but stretch out the time and see if that helps.
  • jennrand
    jennrand Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I always yawn when I exercise! I'm glad I'm not the only one!
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue when I lift weights. Not so much when I run.
  • WhitneyOrtiz
    Options
    OMG so do i!! But i dont have asthma :/ lol