ZUMBA

Options

Replies

• aims17
    aims17 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've read a few things that say 500 cal/hour but most say 1000 plus. I created my own and used 750 cal/hour since it's in the middle.

5550765.png
  • ambivalence11
    ambivalence11 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba because of all the squats and lunges you do with the moves. If you drop it like I do, you get a really good strength workout for your legs while doing an aerobic class. I have seen a huge difference in my muscle tone since I started class. It also improves coordination and balance, which is great for keeping everything toned, not just selected muscles. If you are a woman or a man not shooting for a beefcake body, Zumba is a great workout. I leave class soaked everytime, to me it's harder than running because you are constantly changing motions and using your arms. I personally used the Zumba site to get my calories burned, which says about 550 per hour long session for my height weight at low impact. I always shoot for the moon in class but I use the lower number just to make sure I stay under.
  • CharliesAngel1
    CharliesAngel1 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    But I'd put a good Zumba class on par with HIIT.

lol, 10/10, made me laugh.

When in an entire zumba class do you sprint/dance for an entire minute. It is impossible to swivel your hips hard enough to equate to an all out minuet long sprint.

A normal HIIT is sprinting for a minute, and then walk minute, sprint another, rinse and repeat. Zumba doesn't offer that kind of work effort.

LOL! Love me a good calorie burning hip swivel!
  • KaydeForce
    KaydeForce Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    lol, 10/10, made me laugh.

When in an entire zumba class do you sprint/dance for an entire minute. It is impossible to swivel your hips hard enough to equate to an all out minuet long sprint.

A normal HIIT is sprinting for a minute, and then walk minute, sprint another, rinse and repeat. Zumba doesn't offer that kind of work effort.
    Have you EVER in your life done Zumba?
    I burn 800+ calories in an hour of Zumba (according to my HRM). You jump, squat, dance, box, lunge and - oh yeah - wiggle your hips *lol* for 3-4 minutes with 30 seconds rest after that. Sometimes the instructor makes us hold our arms straight out for a whole song. At least that's what the classes I go to look like.
  • BeckySue1977
    BeckySue1977 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    How can we/ who do we speak to about having a new exercise such as zumba added to the list? It is such a common way to exercise these days but yet it is not int he list. Please let me know hwat you think!

I had the same question till I looked at the variety of intensity offered by the term "Zumba". I do videos at home and have a variety of them. I can burn 300 calories or so doing an easy 45 minute video, or I can burn 700+ doing a higher intensity hour long routine. I also have a "toning" zumba video which gives different results depending on how much effort I put into it. Best bet is to wear an HRM and input the calories burned based on that.
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the laughs, I've screen capped all these responses, and I'll save them for a rainy day so I can just laugh and laugh. thank you all.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I would recommend using a website to estimate, or a heart rate monitor if you can afford it, and then creating your own entry for further use. The amount burned ranges so vastly from instructor to instructor and person to person it wouldn't make much sense to have a common entry in here.

To Plates: Yay you are a tough macho manly man, now go take your small (brain) away to bother someone else.
  • The_New_Christina
    The_New_Christina Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the laughs, I've screen capped all these responses, and I'll save them for a rainy day so I can just laugh and laugh. thank you all.

Well, atleast we made you burn some calories laughing!!! :laugh:
  • klynn_cox
    klynn_cox Posts: 17
    Options
    I definitely wouldn't classify Zumba as "Low Tier"

Why not? lets say you have 4 exercises, and we'll keep them aerobic.

1. Metabolic Conditioning
    2. Zumba
    3. HIIT
    4. Walking

Please put them in order based off of difficulty.

As a man who does Zumba, HIIT, Martial Arts, step classes, spinning, etc Zumba is not some little lite exercise in and of itself. If you push yourself, you will burn a ton of calories.

Wearing a Polar HRM, I can easily burn 900+ calories in an hour dance session. It's all in how hard you push yourself and how good the instructor is. Its foolish to denounce Zumba as a cardio session just because it is dancing.

I do the Zumba on the Wii at home and I know that the controller can pick up movement period but, if you do it the way your suppossed to and really get down low on the moves and keep up the intensity that you would have if you were in a class you will get the same effect. I agree I can easily burn 500+ callories on a a 45min medium intensity work out. Havent gotten up to the High Intensity full length class yet but Im getting there. And by the way after a mid-length class I am drenched in sweat I really dont think that walking is anywhere compared to Zumba if done correctly. Plus what I like about doing it on the Wii is it will tell you how long you actually danced (it doesnt include all the time the Wii takes to compute and stuff) and how many calories you burned based on the intensity the remote picked up from you. Zumba is awesome and fun to do as a work out and I would recommend it for anyone. And to actually answer the main question I just have to add it and then I readjust my calories to what the Wii says I burned.
  • 21jamira
    21jamira Posts: 3
    Options
    No it is definately not low tier lol... you burn up to 1000 calories doing it
    Thank you for allt he responses guys... It really helped!!
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I can't even read this thread. The testosterone is too thick!
  • Debutante55
    Debutante55 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I too would love to see Zumba listed as a cardio exercise. I'm no expert but the classes I've been to are fun but ***intense*** enough to give me (and many others) a super workout. IMO, it's NOTHING like "walking"... that's just plain ridiculous! :noway:
  • Juls_
    Juls_ Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Can anyone suggest a good Zumba video? The Zumba classes in my area are not conducive to my schedule, but it is my favorite way to workout!
  • bossladyday
    bossladyday Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I like this Zumba Fitness for Xbox Kinect! I did 6 beginner workouts/dance routines which range between 3-4 minutes a piece and I burned 319 calories. It was fun and I'm sweating like a pig... It really helped me get my mind off of things. #teamfitandsexy
  • vintagesquirrel
    Options
    My *kitten* is 127lbs lighter than it used to be. Zumba is my cardio....

Anyhow, I just went to the zumba website to see what kind of calories I'm burning, and then add them as "my exercises" under cardio. I easily reach 800 calories and hour doing Zumba at the gym. I've never done it on the Wii or anything, but I'm sure I wouldn't work as hard in the privacy of my home.

Though, naked zumba sounds like a lot of fun.
  • klynn_cox
    klynn_cox Posts: 17
    Options
    Can anyone suggest a good Zumba video? The Zumba classes in my area are not conducive to my schedule, but it is my favorite way to workout!

If you have the Wii I HIGHLY recommend getting one of the games. It measures you on your intenstiy and accuracy. And tells you how many cals you burned.
  • AC417
    AC417 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba for Wii and recently started doing the moves while holding small one-pound hand weights. I've already noticed some tone in my upper arms and I'm sweating a whole lot more.
  • cschu544
    cschu544 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    since zumba is such a low tier exercise you could try inputting it as walking

You're seriously misinformed. Go take a class and tell me how "low tier" it is. Jerk.
  • dave1foos
    dave1foos Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    dude...are you serious? It is a very high intensity workout. If you have a crappy instructor .. maybe it sucks... but if you put effort into it, it's nuts!!!
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I definitely wouldn't classify Zumba as "Low Tier"

Why not? lets say you have 4 exercises, and we'll keep them aerobic.

1. Metabolic Conditioning
    2. Zumba
    3. HIIT
    4. Walking

Please put them in order based off of difficulty.

That's so ridiculous. I burn the same amount of calories running per hour as I do doing an hr of Zumba. Around 700. It is a massive work out if you actually do it high energy.

I use a HRM. Invest in one.