Extremely Weak Back Muscle

Options

Replies

• BettyIW
    BettyIW Posts: 103
    Options
    I had a weak back and still use caution but guess what helped strengthen mine? I met with a hoola hoop instructor and she taught a class on how to exercise with a weighted hoola hoop. I've been hoola hooping and it has strengthened my back tremendously.
    Some friends of mine in the class did not want to even try because of their back but I went for it and it has helped me tremendously. But it would be wise to check with your doctor to see what he thinks of your situation before doing exercises.
    A grandson of mine came running up to me and I was able to pick this 4 year old grandchild up and into my arms. I just about cried because I realized I had picked him up and it didn't hurt my back!!!! I was in tears because of gratitude.
  • VogtAndrea
    VogtAndrea Posts: 236
    Options
    I never even attempted to lift anything but soup cans till I'd been doing aquafit for 4 months. Now I'm using 10 lb stretchy bands a bit and lifting... YES... soup cans. I've done a whole lot of things for a living and none of them were good for my back. (2 bulging lumbar disks and full of arthritis) Pain is the "norm".
    The thing is that I've learned that gentle exercise works for me and water walking, aquafit, swimming laps, and walking on a flat even surface. It's only the last month that I've added walking on the street and up hills (the town I live in is on an island and it's all hills)
    Don't go PUSH UPS unless it's against a counter or a wall to start with or the type where you are on the floor and only push up your torso. There are a ton of exercises for backs, you can google them. I like the one where you're on your hands and knees and lift opposite hand and foot off the ground to work on your core balance. Just remember that you need to stretch out as much as you need to exercise if your back's bad. Afterwards I use my heating pad till my back relaxes a bit.
  • wdwithers
    wdwithers Posts: 36
    Options
    I suggest this....when I was in physical therapy for a bulging disc they had me doing planks....I started out barely able to hold myself up for 10 seconds. After a while, I was able to work myself up to 2 minutes. It strengthened my core so much and my back totally got better.

Great! what are planks?
  • wdwithers
    Options
    I had a weak back and still use caution but guess what helped strengthen mine? I met with a hoola hoop instructor and she taught a class on how to exercise with a weighted hoola hoop. I've been hoola hooping and it has strengthened my back tremendously.
    Some friends of mine in the class did not want to even try because of their back but I went for it and it has helped me tremendously. But it would be wise to check with your doctor to see what he thinks of your situation before doing exercises.
    A grandson of mine came running up to me and I was able to pick this 4 year old grandchild up and into my arms. I just about cried because I realized I had picked him up and it didn't hurt my back!!!! I was in tears because of gratitude.

I am so happy that you were able to. Thank you.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    to strengthen your back:

Supermans: lay on the ground on your belly, put you arms in front of you like you are flying like superman, raise your arms, head and legs. Hold for as long as you can and count. Relax, take a couple of breaths and try it again. Do at least 5 times. Tomorrow, try to hold it for a longer count.

I forget what this one is called, but I always just call it a back strengthener.

Get on all fours. Raise your right arm and your left leg. Hold for at least a count of 5 and slowly lower back into place. Switch arm and leg. Do about 10 of these. Every day, try to hold the balance pose longer.

Planks: Like the up part of a push up. Hold as long as you can and count. Tomorrow, try to hold it longer. If you don't have the arm strength to hold yourself up, go onto your forearms and toes.

These will help strengthen the entire core for push ups.
  • wdwithers
    Options
    You all have been really wonderfull in your suggestions Thank you so very much. Although Chiropractors and a gym is not affordable to me right now, there is nothing keeping me from using the lake or a neighbor's pool. Thank you all again. And to anyone else, Please I beg you keep the suggestions coming. I so need them right now.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Deep water aerobics for the old ladies. . . helps the back
  • splashangel
    splashangel Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Yep on the planks. I've had surgery on my back. Before surgery my life was awful. I guess I will always have some problems with my back but it's nothing compared to where I was. Planks were really hard but effective. Spend time on core excercises. You'll get there. I know it's frustrating but it will happen if you work at it. Do what you can do and keep a check on your form.
  • kyomoon
    kyomoon Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    "Sans" is French for without. As one poster stated earlier... it's probably not your back but your core muscles that are the problem. My core muscles are fairly weak and I found a good website called LIVESTRONG.COM by googling "core stregthening exercises for overweight women" because... well... I'm just way too fat! LOL!! These were gentle exercises meant to strengthen these muscles without causing you more pain or injury... VERY IMPORTANT! This site has been very helpful for me.

What helped to strengthen my core was swimming lengths in a pool. This is where your strength in cardio will help you strengthen your core.

Good luck! And never despair! There's always a way around everything! :wink:
  • rdonald57
    rdonald57 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If you have a pool handy or have a ymca membership. Try walking in waist high water and as your back gets stronger jogging in waist high water. Raise your legs high as you walk. Water aerobics also whould be beneficial for your back and stomach. It makes sense that your back is not strong because of your stomach surgery. Your midsection really supports your back and working on a stronger stomach will help it.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I usually don't like to be too autobiographical, but I'll offer you this as encouragement.

Eight months ago, it took me 5 minutes to get out of bed. I couldn't do a single jumping jack because my back pain was so bad. I couldn't do more than 2 push-ups because I was so heavy.

Today, I deadlifted 300 lbs. for 5 reps, benched 225 for 8 reps, and last week, ran a 40-yard dash in 4.8 seconds, just 0.2 seconds slower than I ran in high school -- 30 years ago.

You can do it. Take baby steps.

I started by doing "Jacks" -- those are jumping jacks sans the jumping.

Amazing example! You should tell us more. I'd love to read what the baby steps were for encouragement.
  • wdwithers
    Options
    to strengthen your back:

Supermans: lay on the ground on your belly, put you arms in front of you like you are flying like superman, raise your arms, head and legs. Hold for as long as you can and count. Relax, take a couple of breaths and try it again. Do at least 5 times. Tomorrow, try to hold it for a longer count.

I forget what this one is called, but I always just call it a back strengthener.

Get on all fours. Raise your right arm and your left leg. Hold for at least a count of 5 and slowly lower back into place. Switch arm and leg. Do about 10 of these. Every day, try to hold the balance pose longer.

Planks: Like the up part of a push up. Hold as long as you can and count. Tomorrow, try to hold it longer. If you don't have the arm strength to hold yourself up, go onto your forearms and toes.

These will help strengthen the entire core for push ups.

I'll try these too You were the second person to talk about these excercises. thank you
  • Front_Runner
    Front_Runner Posts: 175
    Options
    It sounds like you need to take baby steps! Plank is excellent - but it's hard, so don't be discouraged if you can't do it for long at 1st! I do think it's good for all over core strengthing, though. I would NOT do "superman's" until you gain more strength- they are good, but back extensions are hard on you. I would focus on strengthing your abs just as much, if not more, than focusing on the low back.

When you do any exercise that involves the back (and since everything is connected to the spine... that is almost anytihng), you need to learn to engage your tummy muscles. You can practice this anytime - even when watching TV! When an ad comes on, contract your abdominal muscles. You should still be able to breath, and even talk - you're not "bearing down" rather just contracting your abs. Does that make sense? Give it a try. Hold it for 10 secs. Relax. Do it again! :o) Definately do this anytime you are going to lift or put stress on the back - as this simple contraction helps "brace" your lumbar.

Another area I bet you have challenges with is your hamstrings. Are they tight? Very tight hamstrings cause tension on the low back. After your warmed up a bit (5-10 min walk minimum), gently stretch your hamstrings. Don't bounce! Just gently stretch those hammys!

I think the plank (modified - using your knees & forearms) is great. Do it for time. Don't over do it! :o)

Also Bird Dog:

1. Start on all fours with knees hip width apart (directly under the hips) and hands shoulder with apart with palms flat on floor
    2. Tighten your abs
    3. Extend right arm fully forward while extending left leg fully back
    4. Hold position for 10 seconds
    5. Return hand and leg to starting position
    6. Repeat 5 times on each side for beginners. If more advanced do 3 sets of 10 reps on each side.

And Hip Bridges:
    1. Lay flat on back - knees bent and hands straight and flat at side
    2. Feet flat and shoulder width apart
    3. Tighten abs the squeeze and slowly lift buttocks until your knees form a straight line with your shoulders (hands remain flat at side)
    4. Hold in straight position for two seconds keeping abs tight
    5. Slowly return buttocks back to floor
    6. Repeat 5 times (for beginners) work your way up to 10-12 reps
  • wdwithers
    Options
    "Sans" is French for without. As one poster stated earlier... it's probably not your back but your core muscles that are the problem. My core muscles are fairly weak and I found a good website called LIVESTRONG.COM by googling "core stregthening exercises for overweight women" because... well... I'm just way too fat! LOL!! These were gentle exercises meant to strengthen these muscles without causing you more pain or injury... VERY IMPORTANT! This site has been very helpful for me.

What helped to strengthen my core was swimming lengths in a pool. This is where your strength in cardio will help you strengthen your core.

Good luck! And never despair! There's always a way around everything! :wink:

I wrote the site down thank you.
  • wdwithers
    Options
    It sounds like you need to take baby steps! Plank is excellent - but it's hard, so don't be discouraged if you can't do it for long at 1st! I do think it's good for all over core strengthing, though. I would NOT do "superman's" until you gain more strength- they are good, but back extensions are hard on you. I would focus on strengthing your abs just as much, if not more, than focusing on the low back.

When you do any exercise that involves the back (and since everything is connected to the spine... that is almost anytihng), you need to learn to engage your tummy muscles. You can practice this anytime - even when watching TV! When an ad comes on, contract your abdominal muscles. You should still be able to breath, and even talk - you're not "bearing down" rather just contracting your abs. Does that make sense? Give it a try. Hold it for 10 secs. Relax. Do it again! :o) Definately do this anytime you are going to lift or put stress on the back - as this simple contraction helps "brace" your lumbar.

Another area I bet you have challenges with is your hamstrings. Are they tight? Very tight hamstrings cause tension on the low back. After your warmed up a bit (5-10 min walk minimum), gently stretch your hamstrings. Don't bounce! Just gently stretch those hammys!

I think the plank (modified - using your knees & forearms) is great. Do it for time. Don't over do it! :o)

Also Bird Dog:

1. Start on all fours with knees hip width apart (directly under the hips) and hands shoulder with apart with palms flat on floor
    2. Tighten your abs
    3. Extend right arm fully forward while extending left leg fully back
    4. Hold position for 10 seconds
    5. Return hand and leg to starting position
    6. Repeat 5 times on each side for beginners. If more advanced do 3 sets of 10 reps on each side.

And Hip Bridges:
    1. Lay flat on back - knees bent and hands straight and flat at side
    2. Feet flat and shoulder width apart
    3. Tighten abs the squeeze and slowly lift buttocks until your knees form a straight line with your shoulders (hands remain flat at side)
    4. Hold in straight position for two seconds keeping abs tight
    5. Slowly return buttocks back to floor
    6. Repeat 5 times (for beginners) work your way up to 10-12 reps

thank you so much Now here is my ignorance again, where are my hamstrings located? Then i can tell you if they are tight or not. lol
  • meldevoy
    meldevoy Posts: 5
    Options
    Over the past year I have been struggling with lower back pain, and it got to the point that it was constant, and I had days that I simply could not find relief - sitting, standing, lying down, all was painful. What I found helpful was what many others have mentioned - you need to gently, gradually, build up your core and back muscles. I also cannot afford a gym right now, so I found an excellent short (15 minutes) yoga routine online specifically designed for the lower back, and I do it daily. It's been two weeks, and I now I notice pain only very intermittently, and I notice it is much easier to sit up straight. Yoga Today has a large selection of free videos on You Tube, and your local library might have back yoga dvd's you can check out. Good luck with it!
  • Front_Runner
    Front_Runner Posts: 175
    Options
    Hamstrings are the backs of your legs. Here's a nice simple article I just found with an explaination on hamstring involvment & some stretches.

http://www.womenfitness.net/hamstring_back.htm

Cheers!
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    you should think about teh book, " New Rules of lifting for women"

you need to build your core slowly and get it healthy. Your abs and back work together, it will take time as other posters said, Baby steps.

and go to a gym get a trainer for a short period of time and learn how to do certain exercises correctly, bad form is a no no, light weigh and good form, then build yourself up

good luck.
  • AbiCusPeck
    AbiCusPeck Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I was just reading up on some news from the Olympics and a lot of their athletes are taped up with Kinesio Tape, apparently it helps with injuries, etc, could help with your back :)

http://www.kinesiotaping.com/
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I usually don't like to be too autobiographical, but I'll offer you this as encouragement.

Eight months ago, it took me 5 minutes to get out of bed. I couldn't do a single jumping jack because my back pain was so bad. I couldn't do more than 2 push-ups because I was so heavy.

Today, I deadlifted 300 lbs. for 5 reps, benched 225 for 8 reps, and last week, ran a 40-yard dash in 4.8 seconds, just 0.2 seconds slower than I ran in high school -- 30 years ago.

You can do it. Take baby steps.

I started by doing "Jacks" -- those are jumping jacks sans the jumping.

Amazing example! You should tell us more. I'd love to read what the baby steps were for encouragement.

Thank you, Phaedra. Here's an abridged backstory.

Beginning in December 2011, when I could barely stand without pain, I'd tap alternating feet out in front of me as I raised my arms into a jumping jack position. I'd repeat this "Jack" movement for as long as I could stand – just 10 minutes at first.

After two weeks or so of doing this simple movement, I added a standard red brick (5 lbs. each) to each hand and began moving my arms in different ways. Within a short time, I saw my traps and deltoids starting to develop nicely. Most important, my back began to gain a bit of strength, although it was still very sore. This small progress inspired me and I began to eat more responsibly.

In late January, I started walking outside. I couldn't walk more than 300 yards without having an exercise-induced asthma attack. One day, it got so bad, I feared for my life. I ran into the bathroom, turned on the hot shower, and shut the door behind me, hoping my bronchial tubes would dilate, but it didn't work. As I continued to gasp for air, I put some water in the microwave, thinking that if I drank a hot liquid, it might help; it did, thankfully, and the attack ended.

Over the next month, I continued to do the “Jack” movement, walk at a very slow pace, and perform a few bodyweight squats -- chair assisted. I also found a 26 lb. cinder block in the yard and decided to use it for some seated strength training -- military press, tricep extensions, and curls.

By the third week of March, my back pain had decreased significantly, and I started walking outside for one hour a day at an average pace of 2.8 mph. I also continued to work out with the cinder block for an hour or so at night.

By Easter, four months into my journey, I had lost 72 lbs., reducing my weight to 236. Many of my family members made encouraging statements at Easter dinner, like: “Glad to have you back,” and things along those lines, all of which inspired me to try to do something even more significant.

Beginning in mid-April, I decided to cut an exercise path through the heavily-wooded lot on which I live. As I became more inspired, I added all sorts of hidden strength training stations throughout the woods: log lifting, tree pull-ups, galvanized pipes and cinder blocks, and a giant tire for flipping and sledgehammering. I now practically live in my outdoor gym. It brings me more peace than I've ever known in my entire life.

Since Easter, I've continued to take baby steps with both my strength training and cardio, the cumulative effect of which has been substantial. As I more or less wrote in my previous post, I'm now as strong and almost as fast as when I was a teenage athlete in the 1980s. My weight, as of this morning, is 207.8, 100 lbs. from my starting weight eight months ago.

By my one-year fitness anniversary in December 2012, I've set a goal to deadlift 450 lbs., squat 350 lbs., and bench press 325 lbs., all previously unfathomable. I'd also like to reduce my body fat % to less than 13% by then -- a long way from 41.7% at the start.

If there is one obvious takeaway from the whole experience, it's that the human body can be very resilient and compliant if it's brought along slowly and challenged within reason. My ultimate bit of advice is to eat reasonably and continually challenge ourselves athletically. Good health and aesthetic beauty are a natural consequence.