can i realistically lose 38 lbs in 5 months?

Options
13»

Replies

• jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    instead of starting new years, my goal is to be where i wana be by new years. I did the math, and right now I am 167....
    by new years i want to be around 130-135. I am willing to make this happen! Just need any advice, tips, and motivation i can get!

I'm not trying to be a bonehead here - really I'm not... but I'm wondering if you should perhaps change your goal instead to something like living a healthier lifestyle in the future... forever, instead of setting a finite weight goal by a specific time?

Last December, I set a goal to run in a 5K run by the spring, and worked toward this. but along the way, my goal morphed into pledging to lead a healthier lifestyle - in other words, a goal without "an expiration date" (well, at least one that I have control of!).

Just my $0.02

That technicality aside, I'm sure that you'll achieve your weight goal... you can do it!!! You WILL Do It.... GO GET 'EM!!!!!
  • katrinkap
    katrinkap Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I honestly believe that you can... I did it before BUT I gained it all back plus some and here I am again. This time I am losing the weight VERY SLOWLY, and I am focusing on creating healthy habits. Sure I would love to be at my goal weight at Christmas (#135) but I am ok if it doesn't happen...

Add me if you would like, we can cheer each other on :)
  • katrinkap
    katrinkap Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    absolutely.

i lost 40 pounds (with cheating quite a bit! and zero exercise)

so you can easily lose it. i did low carb and it was surprisingly simple.

I'm confused, how did you lose weight with out exercising and "cheating quite a bit"???
  • veduffey
    veduffey Posts: 73
    Options
    I would think so, check my math, but isn't that approx 2 lbs a week. That should be doable (is that a word), anyway good luck on your venture. Fee free to add me as a friend if you like. Victoria
  • StormyGal8
    StormyGal8 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to worry less about the number on the scale, and more about the cut of your body. For me, my "goal weight" is just a rough estimate, I would be perfectly happy to be 10lbs heavier, if I am lean, fit and strong. Muscle weighs more, per cubic inch, than fat. So if your lean, and fit, and heavier than your "goal weight", meh...who cares!
  • tarisa222
    tarisa222 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    instead of starting new years, my goal is to be where i wana be by new years. I did the math, and right now I am 167....
    by new years i want to be around 130-135. I am willing to make this happen! Just need any advice, tips, and motivation i can get!

I'm not trying to be a bonehead here - really I'm not... but I'm wondering if you should perhaps change your goal instead to something like living a healthier lifestyle in the future... forever, instead of setting a finite weight goal by a specific time?

Last December, I set a goal to run in a 5K run by the spring, and worked toward this. but along the way, my goal morphed into pledging to lead a healthier lifestyle - in other words, a goal without "an expiration date" (well, at least one that I have control of!).

Just my $0.02

That technicality aside, I'm sure that you'll achieve your weight goal... you can do it!!! You WILL Do It.... GO GET 'EM!!!!!

Hay, i appreciate the feedback, and actually i do plan on maintaining a healthy lifestyle as well. I used to be normally 150 lbs, and 20 lbs creeped up on me and its been a year now and so now i have to work to get back to where i was, and then more to get where i ideally would like to be. I think having a goal and date helps remind me of what lies ahead. I have goals to increase my cardio as well. so its just not about the weight loss, but the reward of looking good and feeling confident will pay off for the sacrifice. I was just hoping that it was realistic. I know alot of people who may say Im going to take it slow and then fall off track. Im completely determined! even if i hit a plateau ill be sticking to this lifestyle!
    thank you for commenting :)
  • slimbyjune18
    slimbyjune18 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've lost very similar in the 5 months. I set myself 2lb off a week and it's worked. I've worked out too, done a lot of running (x3) a week, but I've not felt like I've been dieting. I think logging food and drink is the most important, really keeps you on track. I've taken the attitude that I can have what I want to eat, but have been very careful on portion size etc. So it's definitely doable!!! Good luck!
  • Stowguy2012
    Stowguy2012 Posts: 111
    Options
    absolutely.

I'm confused, how did you lose weight with out exercising and "cheating quite a bit"???

I'd like to know that also.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Log your calories no more than 1200 per day and get 80 grams of protein each day. protein helps the body get rid of fat. Meijers sells Whey protein powder that is about $15. I mix it with skim milk for .35 grams then greek yougurt and cottage cheese.
  • cthmom
    cthmom Posts: 9
    Options
    We are about the same weight and my goal is 134. Yes, You can do it! I started out at 189 in January. We can both celebrate the new year slimmer,trimmer and healthier!
  • YahsPrincess
    Options
    I'd like my goal to be 40lbs in 6 mos or less!
  • LisaWilson2012
    LisaWilson2012 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Since starting I've lost 20 pounds, so I'm sure you can do it!!! To took me I think a little over 2 months to lose the 20 pounds. Just stay focused and log those calories. It helps you become aware of what you're eatin. If you want go ahead and add me for support

I totally agree with this. A bit of extra advice (given to me by someone on here) is to weigh your food as much as possible. It's AMAZING how much / little you think something is. You'll be very surprised. Example - I used to have between 100 and 150g of cereal for breakfast because I didn't THINK 40g would fill me up. I tried it and was astounded as just how full I felt and for how long.

Stick at it... feel free to add me.

Lisa xx
  • Sbehlmer
    Sbehlmer Posts: 464 Member
    Options

A bit of extra advice (given to me by someone on here) is to weigh your food as much as possible. It's AMAZING how much / little you think something is. You'll be very surprised. Example - I used to have between 100 and 150g of cereal for breakfast because I didn't THINK 40g would fill me up. I tried it and was astounded as just how full I felt and for how long.

I have to agree with above (weigh food as much as possible)...log everything, drink plenty of water.....I've been on my weight loss journey for 104 days, & have lost 55.5 pounds...I do A LOT of cardio and lift weights, & have completing turned my lifestyle around (before I had no exercise, now exercise every single day.....before I ate "junk", now eating healthy), so it is possible...MFP is definately the place to be (lots & lots of motivated & supportive people).

Best of luck to you...you can do it :)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    absolutely.

I'd like to know that also.
    I'm not the OP, but I'd guess that she did it by keeping at an overall deficit despite the cheat days. As far as the exercise goes, diet is far more important than exercise if talking purely about "weight loss" (not "fat loss" or "body composition"). You can overcome a lack of exercise with diet, but it's far more difficult to overcome a bad diet with exercise.

I've lost 30 lbs. (and ~7% bodyfat) in 5 months. During that time, I've drank beer, occasionally eaten fast food, pizza, candy and other "junk". I've also had some days where I was up to 1,000 calories over my daily allotment - but on the vast majority of days, I'm at or slightly under my limit. My eating is decent and overall fairly healthy, but I definitely can't claim to be a 100% "clean" eater. I work out 4-5 days a week (weights and light cardio), but I've missed my share of workouts. I'm not saying this is the RIGHT way to do it, nor am I holding myself up as a shining example - just saying that you can still lose weight without being perfect. My results would undoubtedly be even better if I was more meticulous about my diet and workouts, but I'm not in a race - I'm doing in a manner I can easily sustain for the rest of my life, with maximal flexibility and the ability to enjoy anything I want (in moderation).
  • RondaK1
    RondaK1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thank you ,
    I set for 1200 and that seems to be working ..although I thought between 2-2.5lbs a weeks was within a healthy range
  • papate
    papate Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    OF COURSE, you can, watch what you eat and can't forget that dreaded "E" word - EXERCISE.....REALLY HELPS. I've lost 27 in less than 2 months. Lots and lots of walking, elliptical, etc. Feels great.