No improvements while running – is it my diet's fault?

Options
Hi folks! I'm pretty new to MFP and have been using the site for about 2-3 weeks, trying to hit my calorie goals or stay slightly under them – my goal is set at 1480 without exercise. Now I've noticed that I can't really improve on my running anymore... I'm stuck at running like 2 miles at 24 minutes which is not exactly olympic athlete material! I've also suddenly dropped three pounds over the last 4-5 days, which was not intended either (I'm on 1/2 a pound a week, trying to go slow).

I had a feeling that my metabolism was a bit quicker than MFP calculated... so should I just eat more and hopefully my running will improve again?

Replies

• azwethinkweizm
    azwethinkweizm Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    How long have you been trying to run? How often do you go out? I go jogging a few times a week and find I have to eat more so that my body isn't wrecked - are you eating back exercise cals or rigidly sticking to around 1400?
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? That seems to be the biggest problem when it comes to loss of form and fast weight loss.
    Remember your calorie deficit is built into your daily goal so you should eat them!
  • berlinrunnergirl
    Options
    I go running about three times a week, doing some exercises at home (stretching, sit-ups, push-ups) on the off days. I do always try to eat back my exercise calories, but fall under sometimes.

I guess you guys are right and I need to eat back my exercise cals more strictly (have been a bit lax recently, also going through some stuff in my private life). I didn't think I was doing so badly with that, but it sure looks like my body is telling me otherwise.

Thanks to both of you for your quick replies!
  • berlinrunnergirl
    Options
    Oh, and I picked up running again this June after taking a break of about half a year. But I'm still a total beginner, having only started to go running for the very first time in August the year before.
  • smaschin
    smaschin Posts: 91
    Options
    Oh, and I picked up running again this June after taking a break of about half a year. But I'm still a total beginner, having only started to go running for the very first time in August the year before.

run for time not distance.

If you are running for 24 minutes, make a point of running for 30 minutes, run/walk it, then when you can run all 30 minutes up it to 35 and 40 etc. vary your runs with fartlek (speed play) and interval training, in weeks you will be running much further and much faster.

fartlek will really help you improve, set a time say 30 mins and then jog for 5, sprint for 20 seconds, run for 3 mins, jog for 3, sprint.etc.etc and vary the times, do it as you feel right dont worry about set times or order just vary the pace over the time.

interval is set distance reps, so 8 x 100m etc or 4 x 200 or 10 x 600 or whatever you can do, each time flat out (best effort and say a min or 2 rest between, only once a week though as it is taxing

Peace
  • azwethinkweizm
    Options
    I have to say I alternate between running for time and running for distance. Yesterday for instance, I ran for distance and did 8 miles (wasn't trying to do it fast, just wanted to DO the distance [it took 86mins]).
    I would also consdier myself a beginner as I only started running last Christmas, then took a month off it in April this year. I did couch to 5k to get me started and then built up to 10km... still find it super tough.
    Just make sure to feed the body (with the right foods of course) - I am finding I need to eat MORE to lose weight these days since I started running more often!? Kinda trial and error isn't it?
  • smaschin
    smaschin Posts: 91
    Options
    I have to say I alternate between running for time and running for distance. Yesterday for instance, I ran for distance and did 8 miles (wasn't trying to do it fast, just wanted to DO the distance [it took 86mins]).
    I would also consdier myself a beginner as I only started running last Christmas, then took a month off it in April this year. I did couch to 5k to get me started and then built up to 10km... still find it super tough.
    Just make sure to feed the body (with the right foods of course) - I am finding I need to eat MORE to lose weight these days since I started running more often!? Kinda trial and error isn't it?

for sure, whatever works for you of course. But generally for beginners who have plateaued early on it is best to concentrate on time, most tend to focus on the distance and trying to do it faster, if you cover the time then you also cover the distance and the speed comes with the distance that you were doing previously.
  • azwethinkweizm
    Options

for sure, whatever works for you of course. But generally for beginners who have plateaued early on it is best to concentrate on time, most tend to focus on the distance and trying to do it faster, if you cover the time then you also cover the distance and the speed comes with the distance that you were doing previously.

No I completely agree with you about the time thing!? That's why I mentioned couch to 5k... that was just a time thing for me at first e.g "jog for 10 mins, walk for 5 mins, jog for 10mins" and I remember being delighted at just being _able_ to jog for those lengths of time. It's just recently I focus on the distances (I stupidly joined a running club lol).

You're spot on about focussing on the time before distance. I'd say build from 24 mins to 25 mins and then 28 mins and then 30mins week by week. Slow RIGHT down if you start tiring out (don't worry about distance and speed this early on - just build up your stamina. It used to take me 40mins to do 5k and now it takes about 30-32mins)
  • berlinrunnergirl
    Options
    run for time not distance.

If you are running for 24 minutes, make a point of running for 30 minutes, run/walk it, then when you can run all 30 minutes up it to 35 and 40 etc. vary your runs with fartlek (speed play) and interval training, in weeks you will be running much further and much faster.

I'll try this out, thanks for the advice! For now, I've been doing things much like azwethinkweiz: going for distance sometimes, and the other times trying to improve speed on my regular 3k run.
  • berlinrunnergirl
    Options
    I've taken a look at your profile, and I'm so impressed with your progress! I want to be able to do the same in a few months.

You're spot on about focussing on the time before distance. I'd say build from 24 mins to 25 mins and then 28 mins and then 30mins week by week. Slow RIGHT down if you start tiring out (don't worry about distance and speed this early on - just build up your stamina. It used to take me 40mins to do 5k and now it takes about 30-32mins)
    This sounds really useful and manageable. I'll try it. Right now I'm back to having to take a walking break after about 10 mins. Then I run for another 10-14 mins. It used to be that I could go 24 mins without a break, but recently it's just gone to hell and I get cramps or side-stitches.
  • KimberlyMurphyWhite
    Options
    I had the same problem until I went on the medifast diet. I was running 4.5 miles per day 5 x a week and wasn't dropping a pound. This was over several months so I tried this diet and the weight just melted off. Even when I stopped excercising. It was because you eat small meals every couple hours. I also noticed that my time improved and I have to wonder if it is because of how many vitamins are packed in their foods. I should be a spokes person for them but when I came off I didn't keep up with the same eating cycle and it quickly came back on.
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    You will get faster. You need to give it time. If you have only been running for 3 weeks its gonna take time to build up your cardiovascular endurance and your muscle, which propells you faster. You didn't say what your struggle is when your running that makes you feel you can't go faster.

Are you out of breath?
    Are you dizzy?
    Have no energy?
    Legs tired?
    Muscle pain?

Whatever your issue is is a direct sign of where your weak and therefore points to where you can improve. I don't think you need to go strait into fartleks / speed work. I think you need time.

• marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    When I first started eating clean and logging food and drinking more water I lost quickly too. I think this happens to a lot of folks on here but a lot of it is water weight. You couldn't have lost that much fat in so few days (1 lb fat =3500 calorie deficit). Keep watching your calories and the scale and see what happens but don't expect that the loss will continue.

As far as speed-keep running, run more if you can-slowly increase your mileage. It took me FOREVER to get below a 12 minute mile. Also do you wear an HRM with a chest strap? That will help you get a more accurate read on your calorie burn if your concerned about accuracy.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

Not enough time to see really significant improvements in speed. You need to keep plugging away at it. Building distance will help build speed. And once you get to a decent distance (e.g. regularly running 10k or more) you want to start adding in some targetted speed work.
  • berlinrunnergirl
    Options
    You will get faster. You need to give it time. If you have only been running for 3 weeks its gonna take time to build up your cardiovascular endurance and your muscle, which propells you faster. You didn't say what your struggle is when your running that makes you feel you can't go faster.

Are you out of breath?
    Are you dizzy?
    Have no energy?
    Legs tired?
    Muscle pain?

Whatever your issue is is a direct sign of where your weak and therefore points to where you can improve. I don't think you need to go strait into fartleks / speed work. I think you need time.
    Oh, I've been running 2-3 times a week ever since mid-June, so 1.5 months. But ever since I also started logging cals and trying to lose a few pounds very slowly, my running seems to have taken a hit. I get side-stitches and feel like absolutely have to slow down. I managed 4.1k in 29 mins just two and a half weeks ago, but ever since then I've found it more and more difficult to just go over 3k / run for 20 mins consistently.

It seems like my calorie intake is to blame for at least part of my stalling. I'll up my cals a bit, because running is definitely more important to me at this point (I'm at around 130 pounds, so not overweight exactly).
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    I´m so sorry to hi-jack the thread, but I have the same problem. Startet running in april, run 3 times a week (just had a bad couple of weeks where I only ran 2 times) and can barely make it 3 minutes in slow speed. I just can´t push iy any more. I run out of breath and my legs get very sore. I eat back my calories, recently increased my calories with 300 cal´s. I try to eat properly with carbs before and protein after. My husband believe it´s my medication that spoils my physical, but can that be? What can I do? :frown:
  • meerkat70
    Options
    I had the same problem until I went on the medifast diet. I was running 4.5 miles per day 5 x a week and wasn't dropping a pound. This was over several months so I tried this diet and the weight just melted off. Even when I stopped excercising. It was because you eat small meals every couple hours. I also noticed that my time improved and I have to wonder if it is because of how many vitamins are packed in their foods. I should be a spokes person for them but when I came off I didn't keep up with the same eating cycle and it quickly came back on.

It's really not sensible to combine such a restrictive eating plan with heavy exercise.

Doesn't the fact that you gained your weight back when off the plan suggest to you there might be a fundamental flaw there... ?
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I would maintain what you are doing for a while, If you feel your run isn't there try eating more carbs the day before a run, this will refill your glycogen stores in your legs. Don't worry about the weight loss, there are times when I lose 1 lb per day. Just don't push too hard, an injury from over training will set you back big time.

Good Luck
  • meerkat70
    Options
    I´m so sorry to hi-jack the thread, but I have the same problem. Startet running in april, run 3 times a week (just had a bad couple of weeks where I only ran 2 times) and can barely make it 3 minutes in slow speed. I just can´t push iy any more. I run out of breath and my legs get very sore. I eat back my calories, recently increased my calories with 300 cal´s. I try to eat properly with carbs before and protein after. My husband believe it´s my medication that spoils my physical, but can that be? What can I do? :frown:
    What medication?

Again, April till now isn't a huge amount of time to notice big changes in speed. I knock off maybe a minute off my 6 mile runs each month. It takes time and endurance to build speed. It won't happen quickly.

How far are you running at the moment? Upping weekly mileage is, I suspect based on the little you've said here, what you need to do first
  • zophiel67
    zophiel67 Posts: 181
    Options
    I'm doing Couch to 5k right now and have been pretty impressed with the program. Especially seeing as how I'm close to 200lb at 5'7" and asthmatic. And have never been able to run further than a mile in my life. And that was in high school and it happened maybe twice. So like someone else said, I am pretty proud to be able to do *anything* on that program at all. For you, it might be a little too basic - or at least the first couple weeks would be. But after that, it might be helpful. If you use one of the many apps out there, it counts the intervals for you. And I totally agree with those who talked about the exercise calories. If you don't mind doing a little reading, check out the link below. It gets kind of wordy, but does a good job of explaining why you should probably up your calories (unless you're really tiny, which you might be based on your picture) in order to build muscle. Good luck!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12?hl=road+map