"Everything in Moderation"

Options

Replies

• JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    A moderate portion will be different depending on the food. I just try to stay aware of the calorie content in most foods. And really just never stuff myself on anything anymore. I stop short of feeling "full" or whatever. But with something like ice-cream or cake... just a typical slice of cake or two scoops or less of ice-cream is what I'd consider moderate. Alcohol is a definite no go for me. So any amount of alcohol is too much, there is no moderation for me. I steer clear of it because unfortunately, I don't stop easily once I start... just a thing I learned the hard way.
  • claw0416
    claw0416 Posts: 95
    Options
    moderation to me, is I don't fully cut that item out. My theory is, I am eating way better than I did a month ago, the changes I ammaking are still better than the ones I had before. So instead of taking away that great side dish of rice I love so much, I don't put a serving size on my plate, but I put a tablespoon or less. So I can still have the taste of it. I still eat mac and cheese with the kids, but like anything else I put enough on the plate for taste, sometimes if I know I have not met my carbs for the day then I might spurge and have a full serving, but most days, I don't.. In a way, I do the weight watchers points theory..I bank it..Not that I am following WW, but if we are running errand and I know my kids are hungry or we just want to go out to eat, we go. But the difference now, is that I don't tkae that double quarter pounder, fries and large sweet tea..Kinda makes my stomach churn now after not having it, but I will choose the chicken sandwhich..yes I know it has just as much fat and cals as the others, but I dont eat a whole sandwhich I pick at the bread, and nomrally only eat a few fries, and I get water or I get a small tea. I have actually kicked the tea habit too, so I do their bottle water. one of my fav places is Chic Fila, for breakfast, and if you see my diary I still go, but Imake up for the rest of the day, and actually as of last friday, it just doesn't taste as good as it used too..I ended uip eating the chicken and a bite of the biscuit, the hashbrowns, blah! never thought I would say that about it..But I think with me not taking things completly away, has helped..I am more conscience, and as time goes by my taste buds are changing...

Just my two cents..
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    moderation = it fits into my calories after I've fed my body properly with healthy food

A lot of people start cutting foods out before they focus on what they should be eating. IMO good nutrition with real food comes first, when your body has what it needs, whatever you can fit into your calories after that is okay. And most of the time the extra is healthy food because I like it, e.g. fruit salad, nuts. Then I also have unhealthy food if I happen to like it. I also have a policy of only eating unhealthy food if I'm *really* going to enjoy it. It's a waste of calories otherwise.
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I only eat one pound of Cheetos per day and a single liter of Dr Pepper.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    There are no "bad" foods, only bad eaters.........:wink:

i love this, and will be stealing it!
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    To me, it's, if I want the "bad" food, like for example, I love chicken planks from Long John Silvers. Instead of getting a "value meal" which consists of two planks, two hush puppies, fries and a 32 oz soda, I opt for the two chicken planks. That's only 280 calories, though high in sodium, and it pretty much always fits into my calories. At Wendy's, I opt for the Spicy chicken sandwich with pickles, lettuce and mustard, which is around 400 calories, as opposed to the Asiago Ranch Club Spicy chicken which has in excess of 700 calories.

This works for me because I'm still getting a taste of whatever it is that I'm craving, but it's not going overboard and screwing up my whole day. There are times when I *do* go overboard, but they're few and far between and I don't allow those days to control my entire life. There's no sense in giving up because I had a bad day or two. I actually had a whole week, almost, that was not good a couple weeks ago. I got over it, got back on track and am losing again. I know that "everything in moderation" probably doesn't work for some people. Fortunately for me, it *does* work for me, and I am very grateful. It makes this lifestyle change a whole lot easier to manage.:glasses:
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I don't go by this theory, mainly owing to the fact that having a 'moderate' amount of one thing to one person could be an entire portion to another.

What do you consider to be a 'moderate' portion or 'bad' foods? E.g. chocolate, crisps, fizzy drinks, alcohol, etc.

Moderate I would consider just a small piece.

This is where I have a problem with this "all in moderation" phrase though - I for one, am unable, to eat in moderation any of the following:

Cakes
    Chocolate
    Sweets
    Biscuits/cookies
    Cakes
    Chocolate
    Sweets
    Biscuits/cookiesCakes
    Chocolate
    Sweets
    Biscuits/cookiesCakes
    Chocolate
    Sweets
    Biscuits/cookiesCakes
    Chocolate
    Sweets
    Biscuits/cookies

Sorry, for the multiples adds of said foods, but if I start to eat them, that is how it goes in real-ife with me consuming them. If I manage to NOT consume multiple amounts of said food, the longing and craving taps away at me until it becomes virtually unbearable. The only relief from the cravings will be to go to bed until morning at which point they have abated.

This is why I try not to eat any of those things.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I have a small treat each day, normally about 200 cals or under, and that helps me stay on track. Occasionally, every couple weeks, I get a candy bar, go out for frozen yogurt, or have a meal out. Most of the time, I'll enjoy myself, but not go wild, and eat to where I'm satisfied instead of stuffed. However, I have a problem with control when it comes to certain foods (sweets especially), and occasionally I find myself back in old habits, eating practically everything! :(
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Moderation to me, is not eating out everyday.. only once a week or so.

Moderation to me is only eating a serving size... and not the whole damn box of what ever it is you are eating.
  • lilylux
    lilylux Posts: 109 Member
    Options

(or, to paraphrase the NRA..............Food doesn't make people fat, people make people fat)

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    If something is a trigger food to you and you can't moderate how much you eat, then it's probably best to avoid it. I get the impression it's less of an issue for people who don't use food emotionally.
    The only thing I can't moderate is alcohol, because after a glass I really don't care about losing weight at all, but with everything else I'm learning. It's also about tuning in to your hunger signals, not eating so you're stuffed. And realising that food is just fuel, and whatever you put in is going to be stored somewhere. Admittedly the fuel can taste pretty lush, but after the first few mouthfuls the taste isn't as great as it was the first mouthful, not if you actually chew your food and use your tastebuds
  • morenita71
    morenita71 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    The food industry has a LOT to answer to

Like what? All the information is on the box. The only reason they do what they do is because people are too lazy to figure out how much they're eating. There's nothing complicated about splitting a pizza in several pieces.

Just take responsibility for what you eat rather than give that responsibility to the food industry... If they don't have responsibility (except providing correct info on the box) then they have nothing to answer for as well.

I agree the information is there but that has come after a lot of lobbying - but I also agree with Bluefoxer because fundamentally the food industry is out to make money - it will write 'Lower fat' in massive letters and that is not done for the benefit of the consumer it is done for the benefit of the company trying to sell bad food to a lot of people who don't have the time/knowledge and sometimes inclination to work it out. (and given we're all on MFP we probably are a bit OTT/OCD about this but not everyone is and some people won't notice that a 40g pack of crisps gives the calories for a serving size of 25g...)

There's a great book called Mindless Eating which looks at the interaction of food companies' marketing/packaging strategies and individual psychology and whilst not advocating some kind of conspiracy theory I don't think you can ignore that food manufacturers' goals are to sell as much as possible for maximum profit for their and their shareholders' benefit...
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    It makes me laugh when people say "everything in moderation is good for you"... What a nonsence statement... cyanide even in small quantities isn't 'good for you'.

But that aside, I think some folk have a very wide interpretation of what 'moderate' means.

For someone who used to eat a 6-pack of jam doughnuts every day, they might argue that 2 doughnuts a day is being "moderate". However that's still 800+ calories (of which 36g of pure sugar - a whole days allocation) with zero beneficial nutrients. Doesn't look all that 'moderate' to me.
  • fay_pigu
    fay_pigu Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It makes me laugh when people say "everything in moderation is good for you"... What a nonsence statement... cyanide even in small quantities isn't 'good for you'.

But that aside, I think some folk have a very wide interpretation of what 'moderate' means.

For someone who used to eat a 6-pack of jam doughnuts every day, they might argue that 2 doughnuts a day is being "moderate". However that's still 800+ calories (of which 36g of pure sugar - a whole days allocation) with zero beneficial nutrients. Doesn't look all that 'moderate' to me.

I don't think people are saying everything in moderation is good for you, rather that it's not the end of the world. So to use your example cyanide naturally occurs in many foods like flax seeds, apricots, almonds, soy, etc but people generally don't worry about the levels because we can deal with it when it's in moderation - a leathal dose would probably not be considered moderation (I'm not sure that it's the same compounds used in poisonings though).
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I would have found it much more difficult to practice appropriate moderation on sweets and refined white carbs when I started...but a couple years later I can handle it.

Moderation for me, is necessary, because it's a lifestyle change and I am not going to think "I will never have X again".

For me, moderation is primarily paying attention to when I am full. Not eating when I am not hungry. Only having the item if it is a true craving...sometimes a day or two later (on free day). I PLAN for the item...and I generally have up to two servings (some serving sizes are still nuts...so sometimes, I feel two servings is appropriate for me).
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    There are no "bad" foods, only bad eaters.........:wink:

(or, to paraphrase the NRA..............Food doesn't make people fat, people make people fat)

HA! That's great.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I don't go by this theory, mainly owing to the fact that having a 'moderate' amount of one thing to one person could be an entire portion to another.

What do you consider to be a 'moderate' portion or 'bad' foods? E.g. chocolate, crisps, fizzy drinks, alcohol, etc.

There really are no inherently "bad" foods (possibly foods high in synthetic trans fats) and labeling them such without taking into consideration the amount and how they fit into the context of your total diet
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Like cyanocobalamin?

And guess what if they eat 2 doughnuts a day and lose weight, their blood markers of health will generally improve. And fiber and protein are beneficial?
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I think that's what's great about myfitnesspal, you can have a bit of chocolate or a small severing of chips etc and still stay under calories.

Thats not the great thing about myfitnesspal, thats the great thing about having self-control
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    The food industry has a LOT to answer to

Like what? All the information is on the box. The only reason they do what they do is because people are too lazy to figure out how much they're eating. There's nothing complicated about splitting a pizza in several pieces.

Just take responsibility for what you eat rather than give that responsibility to the food industry... If they don't have responsibility (except providing correct info on the box) then they have nothing to answer for as well.

Really? you don't think they have any accountability as to what they put in our foods, how they are marketed and presented?? They have huge responsibility that clearly they don't like...just like the tobacco companies. it might have escaped your attention that obesity and chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart disease etc are prevalent in the obese who,by some quirk of society also tend to have lower standards of education and employment.