I'm getting a jump on the New Year's weight loss resolution.

Options
My name is Laura, and I'm starting a diet and exercise program for what seems like the millionth time. This is not a bad thing, just a pain in the neck, since I've been at this off and on for 35 or 40 years (I'm turning 51 in January).

My philosophy this time is to start with reasonable, even low expectations (aim for losing 1 lb. / week, for example), and throw virtually every trick in the book into this effort. That way, if I'm not perfect (??!!!), I'll still be approaching the effort from more than one direction.

Thanks for being here, and good luck to all!

Replies

• veracruz
    veracruz Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I started today - I didn't want to use another post-poned excuse by "waiting" until Jan 1. Day 1 went very well . . . Hope yours did, too!
  • thinagain4me
    Options
    i'm right there with you! turning 49 in january.... goal is to look better at 50 than i did at 40! lol.
  • missyjane
    missyjane Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I started yesterday. I will turn 41 at the end of January and really want to be off to a good start by then.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Welcome Laura, and the rest of you newbies, to THE best site on the web! :flowerforyou:
    Between the easy to use food counter (which by the way is SUCH an eye opener!) and all the wonderfully supportive members, you WILL be able to lose the weight that you want to, AND, it'll "almost" be easy doing it! :wink:
    I recommend logging ALL your foods BEFORE you have them, rather than later, as it tends to lead to better food choices. (not to mention you'll know if you've got enough numbers left to have a night time snack, like I ALWAYS try to do!) Some people also like to weigh and measure some things, such as meats, rather than just estimating and possibly being WAY off! :noway:
    Don't go making the mistake that if you have LOTS of numbers left at the end of the day that you'll lose even faster, because that DOESN'T happen. Feel free to read any info about the site in the "help" section at the top of the home page. And also, under "all topics", then "general", and check out the first few threads. They'll really help you understand how MFP works. :smile:
    Before coming here, I had tried just about EVERYTHING out there, including hypnosis, TWICE, and nothing really worked until MFP! :love:
    Also, drink LOTS of water, it REALLY DOES help! :drinker:
    As far as exercise goes, it doesn't always have to be awful. For my exercise, I walk almost every day, (weather permitting!) I also dance to a fast oldies CD that my husband made up of all my favorite old songs. (Like "Love Shack", Wild, Wild West", "Mony, Mony", "Footloose", and "Gloria")
    It's free, (unlike a gym!) fun, and I can even watch tv at the same time, so I never get bored! :happy:
    I also have Wii Fit, and jog to that, which is a lot of fun, and easy too! :smile:
    So, to make a LONG story short, make good food choices, eat in moderation, get some exercise, and you WILL lose the weight that you want to! :smile:
  • missy_braun
    Options
    Good Luck to you all. I started 2 weeks ago. I was starting to let myself go and not really care about what I ate. Using this site from day 1 helped in showing me that what I was eating and how much I was eating was just out of control. So with much added work outs and keeping to a 1200 calorie a day diet, I have managed to lose 8 pounds. Food was my evil. I have 2 small children and 2 jobs. Time is an issue, but so is my health. I believe in all of you as well as myself. Good luck!
  • ks2001
    ks2001 Posts: 40
    Options
    I am coming at this with the same idea as you! I started last month figuring that I'd have a gain over the holidays if I didn't, and I'm actually still under my start weight!

This really is a good site, and planning meals ahead is fun. I like to try and think of how many favorites (or modified favorites) I can sneak in--for instance, I haven't made dinner yet and still have calories to use, so I can have some scrambled eggs and cheese if I want! Stick with it--I gained a bit over the holidays but am back at it hard and the results are REAL!!

Best of luck,
    Kevin
  • hulkj
    hulkj Posts: 218
    Options
    Hang in there!! I'm in the same boat! You can do it!!:flowerforyou: