BMR TDEE

5' 10" 200lb Male with a focus on gaining strength/muscular mass with as little fat gain as possible. Currently running a purely powerlifting weight routine.

Im currently eating 1740 calories based on output from the iphone myfitnesspal app and have recently looked into BMR/TDEE for the first time. Most calculators are telling me i should be eating over 3000 calories exercising moderately 3-5 days a week.

Can this be right? Can i really start eating again? :)

Replies

• dyburke
    dyburke Posts: 7
    You're 200lb and want to gain mass at that height? Okay... Well, it very much depends on the exercises you do. I DO NOT recommend a pure weight lifting routine without any cardio since weight lifting just doesn't burn that many calories, minimizing the window for you to burn fat. If you're strength training a lot and doing cardio, I would up your calories by quite a bit, but that depends on your body fat percentage and how often you're actually doing those exercises. If you post back with some more info, I might be able to help you see why there is such a difference in the calories you've been recommended. To look at a very extreme end of the scale, look up what Michael Phelps does in an average day. :)

Dylan
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Yes that can be right.

If you are looking to lose weight and maintain muscle mass you should be eating at a smaller deficit. If you are looking to just build muscle then you actually should be eating in a slight caloric surplus. It is very difficult to build muscle while eating in a deficit, especially a large one like you have.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Im currently eating 1740 calories based on output from the iphone myfitnesspal app
    Did you tell it that you want to lose 2 lbs/week ?
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    To build muscle mass, you need a calorie surplus. This is to keep the body in a near constant anabolic state.

To lose fat, you need a calorie deficit. This is to keep the body in a near constant catabolic state.

It is recommended guys trying to build muscle mass first get their body fat percentage down and then work on gains.

From there, a series of bulk-cut phases to gain muscle then lose fat over and over until idealized body composition is achieved.

I would recommend you focus mostly on weight loss at 200lbs... unless you happen to be 200lbs of mostly muscle already and are just looking for advice on becoming even more of a man-monstrosity of a muscle machine >.>