FitBit

Options
2»

Replies

• scottg1024
    scottg1024 Posts: 224
    Options
    So read this topic as FitButt... my bad.
  • amyowens08
    amyowens08 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I wear mine everyday....love it.
  • Treesy72
    Treesy72 Posts: 230
    Options
    I just ordered one and I'm also curious as to it's effectiveness. I'd love to hear feedback
  • davidr730
    davidr730 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Since everyone seems to love it, maybe you can answer this. How does it count calories? If I walk 3 miles and somebody in great shape weighing half my weight walks the same distance, wouldn't the calories be very different? Also, does it know if you are in are car or does it think you are running really fast?
  • Dragonldy69
    Dragonldy69 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I really want one, someone tell me why it is $50.00 better than other pedometers.

The Fitbit will track your steps, miles, floors you've climbed, calories you've burned & you can even track your sleeping patterns. When you exercise harder than walking (IE: running or stairmaster), it has a timer that you can use to track how long you exercise & you can enter that information into MFP. Fitbit automatically syncs with MFP, so you don't have to enter your walking manually.

I love my fitbit. It's like my American express card, I never leave home without it. It's not 100% accurate, it counts steps while you're driving for example, but I can live with that. We have 3 fitbits in our house, and I have no problem recommending the fitbit to everyone who asks.
    I just ordered on last night and am excited in getting it .. The price is great as well. No tax or S&H.. I love the things it does and can't wait for it to arrive . I love all the reviews I am reading on here..THANKS
    Kathy
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Since everyone seems to love it, maybe you can answer this. How does it count calories? If I walk 3 miles and somebody in great shape weighing half my weight walks the same distance, wouldn't the calories be very different? Also, does it know if you are in are car or does it think you are running really fast?

You input your age, weight, gender, stride length, etc. on your fitbit profile and it works off that and the amount of steps you put in per minute to gauge your calorie burn. For sedentary time, like me sitting here typing it uses the same info minus the stride length to gauge how many calories you are burning at your BMR rate. When I wake up in the morning I already have 300 to 400 calories listed since it resets at midnight and uses the percentage of my BMR for the amount of time I have been in bed.

For driving, I hold down the button on the fitbit for two seconds to start a recording before I leave my driveway. Get to my destination, I hold the button down again to stop the recording. When I login to website later I go to log activity and designate that time frame as Driving to erase whatever steps it may have recorded and then it just gives me the BMR rate for the period of time. If I am on a decent road it may not even record any steps since it is not recording how many times my tires spin around, just whatever bumps, starts or stops in my driving that might appear to be steps.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit! I go everywhere with it. Definately a must!
  • rdrcpa
    rdrcpa Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi all. Kinda new here. Been reading about the fitbit and have been wondering if it's worth it or not. I don't mind spending the money, I was just curious if it's something most just use for a few weeks or months and then forget about it?
  • kornmaiden
    kornmaiden Posts: 109
    Options
    I love it have been using it for quite a while and have inspired a number of people at my gym to get one as well. I think it gives an accurate assessment of calories burned and really helps me plan my calorie intake.
  • kornmaiden
    kornmaiden Posts: 109
    Options
    That is a great idea about the driving, when I drive to my dad's it's kind of hilly and it gives me credit for climbing stairs!
  • Dinah2
    Dinah2 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit but I am confused in how I enter my exercise. For example I do 30 minutes of step. Do I enter that or use the fitbit amount which was about half of what it actually was. Do I use the mfp calorie amount and delete the fitbit amount? But I love love love the fitbit and gets you to exercise more. Thanks
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    That is a great idea about the driving, when I drive to my dad's it's kind of hilly and it gives me credit for climbing stairs!

Yep. It has an altimeter. Those stairs will disappear if you log it as driving.