Hi, looking for fellow lap banders

Jenn1601209
Jenn1601209 Posts: 6 Member
edited September 20 in Introduce Yourself
Hi, I'm Jenn and I will be banded on January 12th.
(No hate please. I've been hating on myself for 2 decades and really don't need any outside help in that department. The decision has been made after seriously weighing all of my options and actual attempts to loose weight on my own)
I'd like to chat with people who are already banded or about to be banded.

Replies

• Skagirl
    Skagirl Posts: 81 Member
    Hi Jenn, I'm not who you are looking for but I wanted to wish you luck. My aunt had the surgery about a month ago and looks GREAT! She is off five different medications now as a result of her dropped weight also. The surgery was the motivation she needed to keep her diet (diet=healthy eating) in check. I hope you will find similar success.
    Sandy
  • Jenn1601209
    Thanks Sandy :)
  • I don't have my answer yet, but am in the process of meeting all the insurance company's requirements in order to get approved. I'm hoping to have an answer in early February. Sounds like your surgery is coming up quick, you must be getting excited!
  • Jenn1601209
    I'm beyond excited :)
    I'm in Quebec Canada and here you have to pay for the surgery or go on a waiting list that can be a decade long.
    Since I'm a self pay it's all coming together very fast.
    I started the pre-op liquid diet today...I hear this is the worst part of the whole process.

Good luck with the insurance companies. It seems you have to jump through quite a few hoops on your side of the border, but if it means your surgery will be paid for it is worth it! :)

Jenn
  • I haven't had surgery, but I know someone who has. The liquid diet was hard for her and she had a hard time keeping food down after the surgery just because she never stuck to portion sizes. She would just eat like she normally did then throw up into her napkin at the table. It was so gross.

I don't know you, but I'm sure you will do fine. The most important thing is to stop eating when its time, obviously, lol. (I don't know where I meet these people:laugh: )

Otherwise, she has lost weight slowly and safely. And its been almost 2 years and she looks pretty darn good! She would have lost weight faster if she had exercised and ate the right types of foods. (Also, the skin will stay firmer if you workout)

I'm interested to hear about your progress! Good luck to you, I hope you find some people to chat with. :flowerforyou:
    Holly
  • I'm beyond excited :)
    I'm in Quebec Canada and here you have to pay for the surgery or go on a waiting list that can be a decade long.
    Since I'm a self pay it's all coming together very fast.
    I started the pre-op liquid diet today...I hear this is the worst part of the whole process.

Good luck with the insurance companies. It seems you have to jump through quite a few hoops on your side of the border, but if it means your surgery will be paid for it is worth it! :)

Jenn

Yes, the liquid diet sounds like the most intimidating part to me, that's for sure! LoL
    I'm having my doubts as to whether or not Insurance will approve me seeing as how I've managed to lose 45 pounds in three months on my own, but yea- I've jumped through all their hoops and I've successfully completed everything they've wanted of me, so I'm still holding on to a bit of hope.

How much is the surgery costing you there, if you don't mind my asking? My portion of the surgery will still be quite high, even with insurance.
  • I haven't had surgery, but I know someone who has. The liquid diet was hard for her and she had a hard time keeping food down after the surgery just because she never stuck to portion sizes. She would just eat like she normally did then throw up into her napkin at the table. It was so gross.

I don't know you, but I'm sure you will do fine. The most important thing is to stop eating when its time, obviously, lol. (I don't know where I meet these people:laugh: )

Otherwise, she has lost weight slowly and safely. And its been almost 2 years and she looks pretty darn good! She would have lost weight faster if she had exercised and ate the right types of foods. (Also, the skin will stay firmer if you workout)

I'm interested to hear about your progress! Good luck to you, I hope you find some people to chat with. :flowerforyou:
    Holly

I have a friend JUST. LIKE. THAT. It disgusts me, because she continues to eat outright crap and consumes mega calories through Mt. Dew and Chocolate milk and such, never exercises, and then complains that she's not losing weight. Hello! If you're lucky enough to have a tool like that to assist you, I would think you'd be giving it all you've got to maximize your results. :noway:
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    OMG! That is just awful. I would think that if you could acknowledge the fact that you need or want a surgery like that you would use this tool to become the person you want to be! I am so happy that you are able to have this surgery! I do know one person who had the surgery and she looked amazing in less then a year. I know she was very dedicated to the entire process.

I'm a huge advocate of keeping a diary/journal. Start now so that you can look back after the surgery and remember why you did everything you did! I did that before I had a hysterectomy this year. I know its not exactly the same thing but as I recovered I surely did need a reminder after. I listed my symptoms and emotions before the surgery and as I got better I could compare life from before to after. It really helped! Anyhow, I wish you a blessed and EASY recovery!
  • Jenn1601209
    Yuck!
    I don't throw up...ever.
    I've eaten things I shouldn't have and wanted to make myself sick
    and it never worked.
    I won't be eating with anyone other then my husband until I know
    how to use the band.
    I can handle portion control as long as I don't feel hungry all the time.
    (I've been in theropy for 2 years working on my food issues)
    I have a personal trainer and I start back with her 2 weeks
    after surgery.
    I chose the lap band as a tool to help me loose weight
    and I'm trying to keep the fact that the band is not going to do all the
    work on it's own.
    I'm going to do everything I can to make this work!
    I think that it helps that I have to pay so much for this procedure.
    That makes it something really precious that I will work hard to protect...
    or my husband may kill me :D
  • Jenn1601209

Yes, the liquid diet sounds like the most intimidating part to me, that's for sure! LoL
    I'm having my doubts as to whether or not Insurance will approve me seeing as how I've managed to lose 45 pounds in three months on my own, but yea- I've jumped through all their hoops and I've successfully completed everything they've wanted of me, so I'm still holding on to a bit of hope.

How much is the surgery costing you there, if you don't mind my asking? My portion of the surgery will still be quite high, even with insurance.

I have heard of people being denied the surgery because of the
    success they have had while waiting for an answer...

My surgery will cost about $16000 USD.
    My husband and I decided the children we are currenlty unable
    to conceive are worth this price.
    I have been watching journals on YouTube of people that have had
    amazing and speedy success with lap band and they all say that it's
    all about the work you do to help your band work.
    I hope to be one of these success stories. :)
  • filly
    filly Posts: 11
    Hi

I've had surgery. While not a lap band, it was still gastric surgery. I had a gastric sleeve procedure.

You might find that you bring food up a little bit until you get to know when your 'full' level has been reached. This comes through trial and error as each person is different.

I now know when enough is enough for me, and I stop eating as soon as I feel it.

You don't actually vomit, you regurgitate. I guess it's like a baby, when they bring up milk straightaway.

Sounds gross, and it's not much fun, but it's not as bad as being sick. Because your tummy doesn't get a chance to process the food, it's just chewed up food coming back up. It doesn't hurt, but it's uncomfortable, so it does make you take more notice of when your body signals it's had enough.

I spent approx $16,000 (US) on my surgery. It was well worth it.

I wish you all the best with your surgery.
  • Jenn1601209
    I'm a huge advocate of keeping a diary/journal. Start now so that you can look back after the surgery and remember why you did everything you did! I did that before I had a hysterectomy this year. I know its not exactly the same thing but as I recovered I surely did need a reminder after. I listed my symptoms and emotions before the surgery and as I got better I could compare life from before to after. It really helped! Anyhow, I wish you a blessed and EASY recovery!

I have found a whole network of lap band vidieo journals on YouTube and
    am considering doing the same thing.
    It's one thing to see before and after pics but it is completly amazing to watch these
    people shrink in their video journals.
    (as an example search YouTube for user skymoon1982 ..the change is beyond amazing)

jenn :)
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    I'm going to look her up! And if you decide to journal via YouTube PLEASE post your channel! I would love to follow you and you're to be AMAZING journey!
This discussion has been closed.