Run faster...or run longer?

Options
I've completed the c25k program, walking speed of 3.3mph and running speed of 4.0mph. Although I was able to do it on the treadmill, I have yet to run an entire 5k without walking half of it. I'm not sure if it's ental, or the difference in running on treadmill vs the road.

I did start the bridge to 10k, but had to repeat the first week twice due to a vacation and being out of town for work.

My question is, should I redo the c25k at faster speeds?, or continue on with the bridge to 5k at my old speed. I'm not out to win any races, but have a goal to run an entire 5k without walking...or as little Walking as possible. The thing I liked about the 10k traing is the icrements of running is longer with short walking breaks.

Any suggestions? Which is better weightloss and fitness-wise

Thanks.

Jason

Replies

• flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I don't know which is better for fitness and health but mentally, running the 5 k without walking is goal to celebrate... and when you finally get there it is very rewarding.

Sounds like you didn't repeat days/weeks if you couldn't run the run portions? If you can't jog the allotted parts, I think you should repeat from the place you can complete the workout from.... if I misread and you just want to know if you should repeat for speed, that it's a preference thing... I found that speed (being a very relative term) only came with added mileage over time. When I finished c25k, I was running 5k at about 5mph.... now I am at 6mph for 5 miles.

I found my own mind to be the biggest obstacle in covering mileage in the beginning. Assure yourself that you can go further than last time... you likely can.

Hope that helps.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    It depends on your fitness goals, honestly. Running longer distance obviously burns more calorie-, in general, you burn close to the same amount of calories per mile no matter how fast you do it. Doing one longer run a week makes the 5K distance seem shorter, too. If you're still walking parts of C25K, my suggestion would be to do one longer run a week with walks as needed, and repeat c25K a bit faster average speed until you can run the whole thing, before moving on to a longer distance training program. You don't HAVE to walk when they tell you to- you can always do a slow jog or extend the runs a little bit.

Once you can run a 5K, you can reassess your goals.

Edit: If you feel like you don't need the discipline of c25K, you can always do run/walk intervals for yourself for 5K. Run as long as you can, walk until you've just caught your breath, run again. This is how I did it, and countless others before C25K came along...
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I personally tend to keep adding distance. The speed will pick up from practice and speed workouts once a week or so. For fitness, the longer you run the more calories you are going to burn. And there is not a thing wrong with walking intervals _ like the Galloway method. So, whatever works for you....but you can keep adding some distance....I added about 1/4 mile to 1/2 mile every week or 2 for a while. Once I hit 7-8 miles, I began making 5 miles my short runs and working on speed. It's for life so you have lots of time to build up a good foundation of distance and the speed will continue to increase the more you run.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I did the C25K and have had the same dilemma. I can tell you that there is a real feeling of satisfaction in completing a 5K race that you have run without walking at all! I say go for that sense of accomplishment. I also have increased my walking time. I typically run 3 miles between 5-5.5 (I'm now working on getting that up) and walk the rest (generally at 4.0 unless I need to drop to 3.5 briefly for my heart rate to recover) to do a total of 5-6 miles. There's no reason you can't do both. Going longer helped me to get to my goal of running and not walking the 5K.
  • rward007
    rward007 Posts: 32
    Options
    I alternate between the two. I am working towards a 10k. Some days I run 4-5 miles, some days I just run 3 (or 3.1) as fast as I can.

I think you need both. Running longer at a steady pace has helped me establish that pace as recovery pace for shorter runs. On a 5k when I dial back to a 6mph, I can catch my breath and slow my heart rate back down. I can do a 6.5 mph on my 5k now though, so I am working towards being able to use that as my pace for longer runs and recovery pace for shorter ones.
  • citizenklik
    Options
    Thanks everyone.

I was able to do the entire c25k without repeating any days, just think the transition to outside is what the difference is.

To me speed isn't an issue. I'm a big guy, weigh 283, down 52 from when I started my fitness pal earlier this year. Back in 2007, I was 394lbs and lost 150 with weight watchers and exercise, but gained about half of that back a few years ago, no one to blame but myself.

I know I will always be bigger, setting a goal of about 240 or so.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    RUN the entire 5k and RUN it OUTDOORS...then you can consolidate from there a short while before starting bridge to 10k.

Don't worry about speed...even 4 mph is 'running' if you are 'running'..go for the distance. you can target speed separately .

The transition to outdoor (i.e.. 'proper' running) is huge. it's entirely liberating and refreshing, and will expose you to many more different types of terrain and running conditions than the sanitised confines of the treadmill.

there is nothing wrong at all with revisiting any component of c25k or bridge to 10k if you feel you need it because the bottom line is..the only 'BAD' run is the run where you don't' get out and run.

Good luck, keep up your training and just run as hard as you can whilst enjoying it...I promise you the more you run, the faster you will become and the more your endurance will build.

Good luck!
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I've completed the c25k program, walking speed of 3.3mph and running speed of 4.0mph. Although I was able to do it on the treadmill, I have yet to run an entire 5k without walking half of it. I'm not sure if it's ental, or the difference in running on treadmill vs the road.

I did start the bridge to 10k, but had to repeat the first week twice due to a vacation and being out of town for work.

My question is, should I redo the c25k at faster speeds?, or continue on with the bridge to 5k at my old speed. I'm not out to win any races, but have a goal to run an entire 5k without walking...or as little Walking as possible. The thing I liked about the 10k traing is the icrements of running is longer with short walking breaks.

Any suggestions? Which is better weightloss and fitness-wise

Thanks.

Jason

Set yourself the task of running the whole 5k, outside, without stopping to walk. It doesn't matter how slow you go, providing you do not stop. When you have accomplished that, then move on to longer distances.

Once a person is "run-fit" completing the said distance is virtually all mental. If a person is "run-fit" they are therefore already capable of running the full distance, the only thing standing in their way is their own mind. You need to conquer this first. Be determined to complete 5k without stopping to walk.... have the day in mind you are setting out to do this, and repeatedly imagine yourself running the whole distance for the two or three days beforehand, NEVER let any negative outcomes or thoughts into your mental preparation.

When you start off your run, be 100% sure that you are going to run it the whole distance.

Only then, once you have overcome that obstacle, should you consider the longer distances.

If you insist on going for that 10k, before completing the 5k wholly, you could be setting yourself up for disappointment and that, is definitely not worth the damage.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking any new runner's sole (pun intended) focus should be building endurance which means distance. To the OP your immediate goal should be to finish the whole 5K with few or no walking breaks (there are running plans that embrace a run 10min walk 1 pace and there are runners turning in very respectable race times using this so keep it in mind as an option). Running on the road is very different (as you've discovered) than running on a treadmill, keep at it. You'll be amazed what you can accomplish when you set your mind on a goal and follow a good training plan to get you there) don't forget cross training, strength training not only helps with injury prevention but it's also a critical component of any well rounded fitness program.
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I have found the music I am listening to really makes a difference - If it is something I really love I forget the time and distance and just keep going, if it is just running music I am watching the clock
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    Why are you finding running on the road to be so much harder than the treadmill? Are you able to track your speed when you are on the road? (i.e., are you trying to go too fast on the road and therefore not being able to maintain endurance?) Are you running a flat surface?

Did you finish C25K as designed (running when told to run and walking when told to walk) on the treadmill? Did you do the distance version or the timed version?

I think that I would stick with C25K if I were you. If you did the timed version and were able to run the entire time that you were told to run, then go back to the week on the distance version where you are running 2 miles solid (based on running 30 minutes at 4MPH). Finish C25K again using the distance version.

For starting running outside, I would recommend going to a local track (track is easier on your joints than road) and starting there. Then move on to the road or trail but map out a route that is practically flat. You can add hills after you have nailed the flat route!
  • citizenklik
    Options
    Thanks.

I finished the c25k using the timed version, not the distance one. I can't track my speed on the road, so I'm not sure how fast I'm going and if that's the reason why. I also think alot of it is a mind thing. On the treadmill, no matter how tired I get, I keep going, hitting the speed or stop button isn't an option. Running a 5K, I have an internal struggle and usually succumb to my doubt and have a tendency to walk longer before starting to run again. On the treadmill, I keep strict to the times and limit myself to the allotted walking times and no matter how tired I am, if she says run...I run. Maybe I'm more afraid of her than I am myself, lol.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    ok, here is what I have started doing. I found it earlier this week.
    http://www.jennyhadfield.com/training-plans/5k/

She is a running coach. I really like reading her stuff. So far, everything is working out pretty good.
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    bump

ETA: I have a friend on here who is helping me with my running. He has me doing both. I would say mix it up. Some longer runs and some shorter faster ones. It really did help me improve my time on my last 5K.
    Will read everyone else's comments when I am home.
    ETA again: I have not done the C25K program, just sort of the same concepts on my own.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking any new runner's sole (pun intended) focus should be building endurance which means distance. To the OP your immediate goal should be to finish the whole 5K with few or no walking breaks (there are running plans that embrace a run 10min walk 1 pace and there are runners turning in very respectable race times using this so keep it in mind as an option). Running on the road is very different (as you've discovered) than running on a treadmill, keep at it. You'll be amazed what you can accomplish when you set your mind on a goal and follow a good training plan to get you there) don't forget cross training, strength training not only helps with injury prevention but it's also a critical component of any well rounded fitness program.

awesome advice!
  • Lsufan22
    Lsufan22 Posts: 33
    Options
    http://t.qkme.me/3q1j8s.jpg

Lol, I have the same question
  • tarynnmichelle
    tarynnmichelle Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    bump
  • slappymcgee
    Options
    I'd pick distance over speed. Speed comes with time.
    One of the biggest mistakes beginning runners make is wanting to go faster to soon.
    I have run two half marathons and am working on my third. This is the first time in training where I am actually working on my speed.
  • citizenklik
    Options
    Thanks everyone