Coworkers that make you want to scream

Options
tobielauren
tobielauren Posts: 184 Member
I need to vent.

I work with this guy lifeguarding over summers. I can't stand anything he does. He's a mooch and always asks for everyone else's stuff. He makes dumb comments that college kids should know let alone elementary school kids. He tries to "show off" with his comments and stories and thinks it's cool to be thef fast drunk kid. He thinks fridays are weekends, painted over the tile in the shower in the beginning of the summer when we were cleaning thef guard room. He can't swim. He can't run. He's not polite to three patrons. Ugh. I'm sorry but I just want to punch him in the face most days.

Then there's the whole I don't think he's good with females as authority...he just thinks they are something pretty to look at and use to get "pleasure" (trying to keep it pg) if anyone would touch him with a 10 foot pole.

Ugh. Sorry for the vent. Thanks for listening. Anyone else with awful coworkers?

Replies

• LonLB
    LonLB Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I need to vent.

I work with this guy lifeguarding over summers. I can't stand anything he does. He's a mooch and always asks for everyone else's stuff. He makes dumb comments that college kids should know let alone elementary school kids. He tries to "show off" with his comments and stories and thinks it's cool to be thef fast drunk kid. He thinks fridays are weekends, painted over the tile in the shower in the beginning of the summer when we were cleaning thef guard room. He can't swim. He can't run. He's not polite to three patrons. Ugh. I'm sorry but I just want to punch him in the face most days.

Then there's the whole I don't think he's good with females as authority...he just thinks they are something pretty to look at and use to get "pleasure" (trying to keep it pg) if anyone would touch him with a 10 foot pole.

Ugh. Sorry for the vent. Thanks for listening. Anyone else with awful coworkers?

I've learned to never stew over this kinda stuff......I'll call them out on it, and EVERY time that is enough to make them uncomfortable enough to stay away from me entirely.

Works like a champ.

Now, not working and being a student I've met a couple, and unfortunately I've had to revert back to dealing with it, so I don't seem like the "old prick" in school.......But I still have my ways of messing with those people. I'll call them out on things they say, in front of everyone in a way that pisses them off, but they can do nothing about it. LOL I'm a jerk like that I guess.
  • tobielauren
    Options
    I have to walk a fine line because I am in charge at my beach. I can only call him out and make jokes so much with three other guards hearing. I legit feel bad for him. You know body dysmorphia? How you don't see yourself as you really are? Well he has life dysmorphia. Completely oblivious that he's not going to make it in the field he wants to bc he isn't even in the program bc of grades and couldn't really do anything else besides work that involves his hands and her may even screw that up...hmph...I'm just going to read a book, listen to pandora and ignore him
  • LonLB
    Options
    Disclaimer-NOT meant to be a negative comment towards you.

My wife and I have had a similar discussion.......I think the issue lies in how women perceive mens reactions to this situation. You totally can call him out, even if you are in charge. You just have to do it in the right way. There are ways to make him understand how he is, without saying anything negative to him. Just have to manipulate the situation/words/HIM
  • tobielauren
    Options
    Good advice. Thanks :)
  • Bmm1978
    Bmm1978 Posts: 3
    Options
    Today’s Lean: Look Within
    by Kathy Freston

Are you really irritated by someone? Profoundly turned off by or appalled at someone's behavior? Here's a little trick to help you stop tweaking: Pull the attention away from that person, and try to find that exact quality that bugs you within yourself. I promise it's in there... way, way down deep inside of you. It grates on you when you see it in another because it's the thing that needs to be addressed (accepted/loved) in you.

Once you address this rejected, neglected stuff within, you’ll have greater capacity and compassion to deal with it in someone else. In fact, when you heal/upgrade/evolve yourself, you’ll act in ways that help others to heal/upgrade/evolve because you’ll be coming from an integrated, self-accepting place. People respond to authenticity, and you get to authenticity by examining your inner truth.

So the problem isn’t always with “them”; sometimes it’s a projection of us. As we improve ourselves, we improve our world.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Did you just write that one of your lifeguards can't swim? Which beach is this, btw? Just so we know...

Seems like as the person in charge, you should do something about that, no?

--P
  • tobielauren
    Options
    You caught that. Yes. He can't swim. Unfortunately I can't fire him
  • jad54
    jad54 Posts: 192
    Options
    OP, sounds like the guy you work with is fratastic. Pay him no mind.

There's a guy in my office that is always complaining about some ailment. Colds, the flu, broken bones, etc. For instance, he had a pinched nerve in his back a few months ago. He said the doc told him "it was the worst pinched nerve he'd seen in 35 years of practicing medicine." The thing is...it's like that for everything with this guy. His "shattered" finger (it was actually just jammed/sprained), his broken fibula (it was actually a hairline fracture), etc. Not only is he accident prone, he's a damn liar. We actually have an office pool going on what sickness/broken bone he'll endure next. I went with broken ankle because he's been playing a lot of tennis lately.
  • girlbehindthechair
    Options
    I totally agree, if you are looking outward at other's flaws, then you should really look inward and try to find what causes you to feel so much agression towards the other individual. Just like any relationship. I agree with PP.
  • scruffykaz
    scruffykaz Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I don't think looking inward will change the fact that some people are just idiots..
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I am still trying to figure out how a person gets a job as a lifeguard that cant swim...thats beyond scary.
  • tobielauren
    Options
    We made a drinking game...every time we want to make fun of him we drink. I switched to water after a glass..i would have been falling over
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    by Kathy Freston

Are you really irritated by someone? Profoundly turned off by or appalled at someone's behavior? Here's a little trick to help you stop tweaking: Pull the attention away from that person, and try to find that exact quality that bugs you within yourself. I promise it's in there... way, way down deep inside of you. It grates on you when you see it in another because it's the thing that needs to be addressed (accepted/loved) in you.

Once you address this rejected, neglected stuff within, you’ll have greater capacity and compassion to deal with it in someone else. In fact, when you heal/upgrade/evolve yourself, you’ll act in ways that help others to heal/upgrade/evolve because you’ll be coming from an integrated, self-accepting place. People respond to authenticity, and you get to authenticity by examining your inner truth.

So the problem isn’t always with “them”; sometimes it’s a projection of us. As we improve ourselves, we improve our world.

I have a feeling that doesn't apply to this situation....not everything has to be some deep rooted psycho-babble...please
  • LonLB
    Options
    I don't think looking inward will change the fact that some people are just idiots..

Agree 5 billion %%%%%%

Some people are just ****ty people. Trying to find some inspirational Bull**** to make them not annoy you is just that Bull****. Have a problem? Address and solve it. Or at least try.
  • jad54
    jad54 Posts: 192
    Options
    I am still trying to figure out how a person gets a job as a lifeguard that cant swim...thats beyond scary.

I work with a guy that doesn't know the difference between a stock and a bond. We work at the Merc.

Nothing shocks me anymore.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    You caught that. Yes. He can't swim. Unfortunately I can't fire him
    Can you make the inability to swim known to someone who CAN fire him?
  • LonLB
    Options
    by Kathy Freston

I have a feeling that doesn't apply to this situation....not everything has to be some deep rooted psycho-babble

Thank you!
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    We need a vent board.
  • tobielauren
    Options
    Part off the aggravation may be...but other portions is it's like someone scratching a chalk board over and over and over and over....you get the picture
  • LonLB
    Options
    We need a vent board.

Ya because we are clogging up the "how hot am I" and "do you think I'm super duper" section with 'ALL' of these Vent threads.

:wink: :laugh: