Long Island and New York

Options
Where are all the long islanders and new yorkers at!?!? :)

Replies

• Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    I was born in Plainview,NY, grew up in Westbury, and now live in Medford.
  • staceface519
    staceface519 Posts: 167
    Options

Awesome! i work in garden city. . . grew up in uniondale and merrick. . . now live in levittown myself.!
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm pretty familiar with Levittown!
  • michele2224
    Options
    I live in Fl but originally from Long Island, Ronkonkoma & Mastic. I miss NY, time for a trip for me soon...
  • staceface519
    staceface519 Posts: 167
    Options
    I live in Fl but originally from Long Island, Ronkonkoma & Mastic. I miss NY, time for a trip for me soon...

New York def misses you too!!! no other state like it :). . . and my brother lives in lake ronkonkoma :)
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Buffalooo
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I live in Farmingdale Long Island.. originally from Maine
  • staceface519
    Options
    Buffalooo

Thats cool. . i went to Oneonta for college and was always hanging out in Buffalo by the school. . lol
  • staceface519
    Options
    I live in Farmingdale Long Island.. originally from Maine

How do you like it here as opposed to Maine?
  • madmatti3
    Options
    I'm a Long Islander/ New Yorker but stuck here in Houston Texas Yuck!!!! boy do we miss the East Coast!!!
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Buffalooo

Thats cool. . i went to Oneonta for college and was always hanging out in Buffalo by the school. . lol

Yeah we definitely know how to have a good time
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options

Grew up in Patchogue. Moved to Pennsylvania when I was 13. I still hate it here.
  • vyanadevi
    vyanadevi Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm from the Bronx ;-)
  • blair_bear
    blair_bear Posts: 165
    Options
    Pseudo LIer, Hempstead (going to school there).
  • openskybeach
    openskybeach Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm in SC but from Blue Point, NY... Long Island baby!!
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I live in the lower Hudson Valley in NY state. Love this state. Nothing better than New Yorkers!!!
  • Aparz1
    Aparz1 Posts: 949
    Options
    I Live in the city on the UES :)
  • Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Born/raised in CT but live in LI currently, near the Riverhead area!! :OD
  • pj12string
    pj12string Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    West Islip, born and raised.... I work in NYC.
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    hi all - I am from LI. Can I be honest? I confess I don't really like it here much. Born in Rockville Center, I left LI young (6th grade, Island Trees in Levittown) and then lived a large portion of my life outside LI (Buffalo and then NJ through 7th grade, CA through college) and only really came back for grad school and then working in the city for the last 10 years while commuting by train (love the LIRR commute!!). Maybe its not LI but NY in general. Certainly I miss the warmer weather in Cali. And I do admire all the good qualities in NY (in fact, I find it slightly more tolerable in the city, but I haven't really lived in the city for many years at a time since I felt I need edto be in Long Island for family obligations). I guess its many things, like (what I perceive to be) very rude people (the whole tri-state area on this one I think), or maybe just the weather...or who knows, my own personal baggage.

Sorry if that sounds like I'm a jerk, but seeing this thread gave me a sudden need to share something I never have before. I think I need to move, but since I work in corp law (banking stuff), its tough to find a position outside of NY or possibly London. Also, with a relatively small extended family located mostly here, it would entail too much to leave in many cases. But every spring I say to myself that this was my very last winter. I said that this year when I started my weight loss/'fitness journey. I'm down 45 pounds since March, but oh, look, its now August again and we are starting to see "back to school sales" again, meaning winter is nigh!! Did I mention I love the LIRR (ESPECIALLY IN THE SNOW)?

I admit Its gotten better in recent years, like since we got LOTS OF the stuff I used to like from outside NY like Trader Joes/Whole Foods/Lifetime Fitness/big Barnes and Nobles books stores/ Red Mango (but still no Pinkberry?!) etc etc ...civilzation! lol!....and the look is improving (now, most of the north shore and adjoining shopping centers and commercial buildings are starting to upgrade in line w/ modern aesthetics like you'll find in the rest of the country....whereas most of Long Island before looked (and most of the south shore still looks) kinda old, dilapidated and dumpy....it brings me down going south except for certain areas bcuz it looks like I stepped back into the 1970's when I was a kid here.

I don't know....I'm rambling. Sorry if this offends anyone - I've met many beautiful people here too, and I understand more and more that there is a lot here to offer so I'm obviously a dummy for not seeing it (beaches, easy access to the city, lots of history and nature etc).

Maybe my unhappiness spurs from something else, and I'm just investing my ire into the location to avoid the issues? I don't know. Anyone else ever feel stuck and you want to leave but not sure how?