Best exercise for when you're short on time?

Options

Replies

• Jadeus2
    Jadeus2 Posts: 36
    Options
    my first thing in the morning routine is jillian micheals 30 day shred, i think it's only 20 minutes of exercising

^^^ I agree. After I completed the 30 day shred, I still do the workout as often as I can. Like you, I'm exhausted once I've put my kids to bed. I ushally put some upbeat music on (I always listen to the Chicago soundtrack lol) and within minutes, I'm in the mood to exercise!! Good luck :)
  • znm100
    znm100 Posts: 148
    Options
    Anything using the tabata protocol (I'd recommend Burpees). 5 mins warm up, 4 mins exercise, 5 mins cool down and you're done.

Having said that, the 4 mins will feel like the longest 4 minutes ever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training#Tabata_method

^^^ This... it doesn't sound like much because of how short it is, but you will want to throw up afterwards if you are doing it right... its really short, so you have to give 100% effort for those 4 minutes...
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    See a big hairy spider. Massive amount of calories burned within seconds...
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    10 min of burpees!
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    What are burpees?
  • Muscles_Curves
    Muscles_Curves Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    10m Drill: 1min squats with bicep curls, 3m jumping jacks, 3min jump rope, and 3min jog in place

3 rounds: 10 push ups, 20 sit ups, 25 squats, 10 plunges per leg, and 80 jumping jacks

Cardio Challenge: 1:40 jump rope, :50 high knees, 30 mountain climbers, 10 jump squats, 10 burpees, 20 upper cuts, and :30 walking in place (DO AS MANY ROUNDS AS POSSIBLE)

That's all I can think of for. I hope it helps. :wink:
  • Muscles_Curves
    Muscles_Curves Posts: 385 Member
    Options

^^^THIS. And star jumps are the lake of fire
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Try this routine...this is very effective and you can burn some serious calories! One set usually takes about 5-6 mins.

30 jumping jacks
    5 pushups
    25 high knees
    7 burpees
    10 crunches
    7 squats
    5 pushups
    10 crunches
    5 pushups
    10 crunches
    5 pushups
    7 squats
    30 jumping jacks
    1 minute wall set
    5 pushups
    25 high knees

*For best results, repeat the set 2-3x
    something like this. lots of burpees, squats and pushups.
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    HIIT sprints. Google it.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Walk A Way the Pounds; it's quick and you can do it at home
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any recommendations? Im SOOO not a morning person and my evenings are spent with my kids until they go to bed. After that, Im exhausted, but if I could do a short workout, that would be awesome. Thanks

What's yoru goal? Simple calorie burn? Strength/muscle work?

For straight cals, whatever gets the intensity the highest for you. Burpees, rowing, swimming... all good options.
    For strength, I'd do 5 sets of squats and 5 sets of pull-ups.
  • ValkyrieFD
    ValkyrieFD Posts: 83
    Options
    I don't have too much experience with a ton of things, but 30 day shred is amazing as it is circuit training and you bust out your cardio AND weight training in 20 mins. I don't think you can top that. With warm up and cool down though (which you should do with any exercise anyway) it's a total of 27 mins.

Otherwise, it's proven the best cardio workout is running calories per min wise. <3
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Otherwise, it's proven the best cardio workout is running calories per min wise. <3

Proven? By whom?

Um, no. Depends on the person. An accomplished runner is going to have a much harder time burning cals running than they will doing something they aren't as well versed in. It's about intensity, not activity.
  • kgeer31
    kgeer31 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    planks are always great for a total body burn and have lots of alternative movements within the basic move.
  • Chubbud1
    Chubbud1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    LMAO...That's what I was thinking! WTF is a burpee?? Drink a lot of soda and go?
  • slambyr
    slambyr Posts: 8
    Options
    I am not sure if it has already been posted or not.. but search bodyrock.tv they have a BUNCH of quick exercise videos

I was about to suggest the same thing.
    And just looking at the guys and girls in those videos is motivating.
    Motivates me to go get a boob job! lol (only kidding)
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Not really getting a lot of burned calories when I logged jumping rope yesterday. For a 3 minute session I only got 37 back
  • coolvstar650
    coolvstar650 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I do 15mins with a Kettlebell...burns 300 cals.