For those who aren't "regular"...

Options
Trying to put this delicately (we all know girls don't go poo) but I am curious how often one would weight themself if they are not regular. Specifically, if you only go once a week, you would want to weight yourself on the day after? Oh God I know this is a gross topic, I am realizing as I write this. Seems to be you wouldn't get an accurate reading on your weight if one week you measure before going, then the next week weighing after going. Does this make sense?

And before we go into a discussion of regularity, I eat a large quantity of fiber (35-40 g per day, combination of soluble and insoluble) and drink at least two liters of water daily. There is just something about my body that likes it this way :ohwell:

Thanks all for the feedback!

Replies

• foodie99
    foodie99 Posts: 92
    Options
    If I were in this situation, I would weigh myself daily for a week or two, noting the day I pooped. Based on that, I'd see how it is impacting my weight and then weigh myself on the best day to get the lowest reading (assuming you are trying to lose weight).

I don't think there is a right or wrong way to do this, it's whatever works best for you.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    I know....START POOPING MORE THAN ONCE A WEEK. For crying out loud.
  • iamluce
    iamluce Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    i was very 'irregular' for years (since puberty and until very recently) and it not only slowed down my weight loss but it made me feel really bad about my body because i felt bloated all the time
    i used to weigh myself every day, regardless, and feel bad whenever the number hadn't gone down.
    i started taking a supplement to regularize my metabolism and it's been working great for me! i take a little less than the recommended dose because i've always been scared of laxatives and such, but this has been awesome and i feel a lot better.
  • virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    FUnny u wrote about this because i was thnkng about writting something similar yesterday. (And yesterday was the 2nd time i went in about 5days.... just how my body operates too.) BUt i dnt thnk about that wen i get on the scale. I just go when i go and wen i weigh myself i make sure its right when i wake up after i pee. for me i hvnt noticed much of a difference in when i poop and when i don't poop.
  • ouryear002
    ouryear002 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have always thought that women need a class on "How to poop" since most women I know have regularity issues, while most men I know can poop on command. :laugh: I agree with the first response to see how much difference it makes before deciding. Or you can just decide you only weigh in the day after you go.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I don't have an answer but I have a question. I used to be really irregular back before I got healthy... it would be 3-4 days between but it got really uncomfortable and I got really painful constipation cramps on the day I would finally go to the bathroom. Does this not happen to you? Maybe you should see a doctor and find out why you're only going once a week? I don't know.. I just know how much it sucked for me waiting 3-4 days so I can't imagine a whole week. To give my opinion on your question though, I would probably weigh the day of, right after, lol.
  • jrs5444
    jrs5444 Posts: 86
    Options

It's not that simple! Trust me, people who have these issues definitely would LOVE to go more than once a week...we just can't! =P
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options

Seriously!

I get freaked if I go 3 days without it. Take something for that, drink more water, eat more fiber, an enema, a laxative. Your current state may lead to colon issues later in life.

But if you're only gonna poop once a week weigh yourself that day I guess.
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options
    Psyllium seed husks
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Psyllium seed husks

Scientific classification
    Kingdom: Plantae
    Family: Plantaginaceae
    Genus: Plantago
    Psyllium seed husks also known as ispaghula, isabgol, or psyllium, are portions of the seeds of the plant Plantago ovata, (genus Plantago), a native of India. They are hygroscopic, expanding and become mucilaginous. Ayurveda recommends its use for colon cleansing/ bowel regulation as well as for better blood circulation.
    Psyllium seed husk are indigestible and are a source of insoluble dietary fiber. They are used to relieve constipation, irritable bowel syndrome, and diarrhea. They are also used as a regular dietary supplement to improve and maintain regular GI transit. The inert bulk of the husks helps provide a constant volume of solid material irrespective of other aspects of the diet or any disease condition of the gut. Some recent research is also showing them to be promising in lowering cholesterol and controlling diabetes.[1]
    Other uses include gluten-free baking, where ground psyllium seed husks bind moisture and help make the bread less crumbly.
    The husks are used whole in their natural state, or dried and chopped or powdered for easier consumption. In either of these forms, one takes them by mixing them with water or another fluid.
    Sometimes they are combined with clay as a detoxification drink.[2] Most commonly this clay is Bentonite Clay which is a volcanic clay which is claimed to have many detoxing properties.[3] The psyllium husks are also available in capsules. Over-the-counter laxatives and fiber supplements such as Metamucil, Colon Cleanse, Serutan, Fybogel, Bonvit, and Effersyllium have psyllium husks as their main ingredient.
    The husks may also be combined with other ingredients. For example, Blackstrap molasses is sometimes used with psyllium seed husks for its high mineral and vitamin content, as well as being an excellent carrier. A typical dose is one to three teaspoons per glass of water. Psyllium seeds can be used for the same purpose at a lower cost. The standard dose is 3.5gm dissolved in 250 ml of water.
    The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has established a tangible benefit of psyllium seed husk intake[4] and a decreased risk of coronary heart disease (CHD). Psyllium's soluble fiber thus has the potential to decrease the risk of CHD.

you can take this every day forever and it won,t harm you in fact phsyllium has great benefits on cholestral levels just make sure you drink plenty of fluids with it :flowerforyou:
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options
    try Colace
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    It's not that simple! Trust me, people who have these issues definitely would LOVE to go more than once a week...we just can't! =P

I know all about it, my mother is like that. Well she used to be. Now she drinks almost a liter of water as soon as she wakes up, then has coffee and goes to the bathroom. She also takes fiber and stool softeners. She was OK with her weekly movements until she had a colon cancer scare. There are ways to improve on this issue. Do try.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Um...coffee and fibre?!
    start eating figs daily?
    An apple a day...with the skin!
    Um...Broccoli?
    Normal food that isnt processed should help.
    Drinking 8-16 glasses water?

I used to deal with IBS.
    Used prevention.coms Fire Water and fixed it.
    Took about a month.
    Awesome stuff!

Now I just eat like a person who wants to be in shape.
  • Celticb3lly
    Celticb3lly Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to your doctor about your bowel habits? You might need a supplement such as a stool softener like Colace or Miralax to help.

I would do like the person above suggested, weight daily and keep a log of it and when you do poo and see if there is a trend.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I only "go" once a week. Considering Ballerina Tea. :D
  • Treesy72
    Treesy72 Posts: 230
    Options
    I have this prblem too so now I take natural stool softeners on occasion or drink the herbal tea that helps with this problem. Lately I go everyday thank goodness.
  • jrs5444
    jrs5444 Posts: 86
    Options

I know all about it, my mother is like that. Well she used to be. Now she drinks almost a liter of water as soon as she wakes up, then has coffee and goes to the bathroom. She also takes fiber and stool softeners. She was OK with her weekly movements until she had a colon cancer scare. There are ways to improve on this issue. Do try.

I have tried just about everything...including two trips to two different doctors who informed me that since this has been going on for several years it is just my "normal" When the first doctor said that I thought he was insane, hence going to the second doctor. I've just pretty much accepted it for what it is and moved on lol.
  • PandaHerber
    PandaHerber Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It's not an easy topic especially for those that just don't understand. They eat, they poop. Rinse, Repeat. I highly suggest more water. My minimum is 3 Liters and a Gallon or more on major sweat days (cardio/strength). Water is a HUGE impact on things. Also I highly suggest trying magnesium.
    Now... weight. Weight can fluctuate highly. I'm usually a weekly to every other week weigh in type person. I take note of my digestive system and whether or not that may make a major impact. I however only use the scale as a term of doing it because I do it and have realized that like Age, it's just a number. I've seen an "obese" person the same weight that I am (I'm roughly 140 lbs, +/- 2 lbs depending on the time of day!!) but I'm right around 20% body fat. Now someone else roughly the same size as me can be the same weight and be 35% body fat.
    So while I get where you're coming from, don't worry so much about the scale as I suggest looking towards measurements and getting that body fat tested! Remember, muscle weighs more than fat so if you're doing strength training, it's not just your bowels that can add a few pounds. So can water weight from carbs and adding muscle.
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge advocate for prunes. Yes, they are high in natural sugars, but they make you go.
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Since I got different medication my bowel movements have almost come to a standstill. Once a week, if that. So I definitely understand your problem. But up to once a week is actually healthy. Any longer in between and you should look into a doctor or something.

Doesn't solve the scale problem though. My solution is to take a longer term look. The scale might not be moving much some weeks, but more on other weeks. So, just see if over the last 4 weeks you're still losing weight. If so you're doing great. In the end, you'll not see the half a pound you're losing in a weeks time. But you'll definitely see the 10 pounds you're losing in 2 months.