hypothyroidism pals?

Options
I would love some folks who also have hypothyroidism to add me. I am really struggling to lose weight & would love your help/advice! I'm 36, married with 2 kids in NY. I'm on low dose thyroid meds, but cannot seem to get my weight down. We live on a small farm where we raise cattle, goats & other critters. Thanks.

Cristin

Replies

• mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism. Diagnosed May of 2010. Feel free to add.
  • MyNabbrs
    MyNabbrs Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Your profile is totally private. How about sharing a little about yourself. Just the basics would be a good start.

I'm a happily married 45 year old mother of two fabulous kids who has had Hashimoto's Thyroiditis since I was 14. I've recently gotten below 200lbs and I want to get to 160-165.

Please feel free to add me. Good luck on your journey!
  • Cristin129
    Cristin129 Posts: 49
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! I've added you all...and edited original post with additional info about me.
  • rmandree
    rmandree Posts: 9
    Options
    I have it and had it for 17 years. I live on a farm too and raise two kids in Minnesota. Weight gain is an issue with hypothyroidism. I did some researching on-line a few years back and one of the culprits is that we don't produce enough idodine.
    Need to be careful on your salt intake and do not take anything with zinc. This is one of the reasons why we can not take many of the cold medicines since there is zinc in the drugs. As a matter of fact, i just posted about getting ready for our county fair next week and if you think about it, most food vendors sell greasy and salty foods. It is ok to have salty foods once in a while, but not all the time. Take a look on-line and see what fits you. I have learned to drink lots of water and that seems to help. I understand what it feels like with weight gain, its frustrating. Let me know what you have come up with in searching. I will be willing to try anything else that is suggested.
  • Dress4Dolly
    Options
    I've was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis 30 years ago....You are very welcome to send a friend request:)
  • Pir8life
    Pir8life Posts: 9
    Options
    I'll be your guy friend with hypothyroidism. I was diagnosed about 13 years ago after almost going into a coma. I was hospitalized for 2 weeks due to irregular heart beats and a piss poor EKG. long story short, it was hypothyroidism. I take quite a bit of synthroid. 300MCB (whatever MCB is...it's on my med bottle). Basically one green pill a day. Yes, I'm over weight but, I really have been eating anything and everything that I desire. My eating habits are terrible. I mean, were terrible. I'm capable of losing the weight when I do what everyone has been telling me to do. exercise and eat properly. My problem is that I'm addicted to food. I love warm, salty comfy foods and I have a sweet tooth the size of Hershey, PA. I'm 45 years old now and it's way past time that I make a change in my life, and my eating habits have got to be that change. So...I've been dieting for 3 days now and I'm feeling awesome, enjoying my new food exploration and my energy level is really starting to pick up. (My thighs are pissed at me but that's because I was outa shape).

I'll share my diary with you and anything else that I can to keep you in the game. Accept my friend request if you'd like. :wink:

E~
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Add cytomel. It hasn't made me lose weight, but I feel a lot better.
  • kgeer31
    kgeer31 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    what a great post request! I'm 33 with one daughter in central NY and have had autoimmune hypothyroidism (although never told to be Hashimoto's) since I was 13. I, too take synthroid (on name brand, generic doesn't work for me), 137mcg. I've been through a lot with my meds, delayed post-partum depression that sent my into a state of thyroiditis and fought to find a balanced level for almost a year last year after almost 20years of the same dose. My health and life has finally settled into a place of safety and I am recommitted to my health and fitness with a goal of pre-baby everything. Feel free to add me...a good support base is key for any weight loss efforts! Also, just a tidbit...as I said I cannot take the generic levothyroxine, fillers are different and causes no reaction from my body from the hormone. Took a bit trial and error before we realized that, just sayin...
  • klynn81
    klynn81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    30yrs old, was finally diagnosed like 4yrs ago after I convinced my dr. to run the damn tests. cuz you know...any unusual health problems are almost ALWAYS a result of you being fat. rawr. I can't stand that mentality with dr.'s. Anywho's several repeat tests, and adjustments to my synthroid, and my levels have been holding pretty steady.

The weight loss part...yeah...it's not easy...but it's not impossible either ;-)

Anyone please feel free to add me!!!
  • kajpen
    kajpen Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and take Armour thyroid.
  • Triquetra
    Triquetra Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I'm hyro as well, for past about 8 years. I take synthroid and cytomel to control my levels. Feel free to friend me.
  • piesbd
    piesbd Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hey! :)

Just wanted to let you all know, if you don't yet, that there is a group here for hyop/hyperthyroid.

I have been hypo for 11 years. Until the past year or so have been well controlled on synthroid. However, have been having lots of hypo related issues recently, tiredness, not able to lose weight, dry skin, hair.... and other not so fun issues....

Feel free to friend me :)
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later
  • Woodgirls3
    Woodgirls3 Posts: 23
    Options
    Diagnosed with Hypothyroidism since December 2011. Add me if you want too :)
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Recently diagnosed with hypo-thy. placed on low dose synthroid-25mcg-been on it for one week now. To see my doc for re-eval this week. Will be 56 years old this year (Nov), 3 grown kids. Just developing this problem as physical last year did not show any issue wth my thyroid. Feel free to add me. Good luck to eveyone on this journey with the thyroid issues. :flowerforyou:
  • Jadbaa
    Jadbaa Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed with Hypothyroidism about 2 years ago. You can add me if you want.
  • Martina_Who
    Martina_Who Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Added you!
    Anyone else can feel free to also add me!

I have an under active thyroid and take armour as eltroxin(synthroid)(levothyroxine) did not work for me....
  • np11073
    np11073 Posts: 30
    Options
    I will be honest. If you are on thyroid replacement your inability to lose weight has nothing to do with your medical condition. I have been on synthroid for about ten years ago. Five years ago I lost 73 pounds on a doctor recommended diet program. I regained 50 pounds over the course of the years because I returned to my carbohydrate addiction. An added factor was a long standing back problem that prevented me from exercising...or even walking to any great extent. After having corrective surgery I decide it was time to get back into shape. I now exercise 6 days a week and try to keep my daily intake at or below my target. I have a good beginning on my journey back to being in shape. I wish you well.:happy:
  • lovinmamaxo
    lovinmamaxo Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I have had hypothyroidism since Jan 2008. I've been on Synthroid since then i am on 125mcg
  • macjenkins
    macjenkins Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I was diagnosed with hypo at 12 yrs old. With exercise and proper eating habits I was able to lose 30lbs over 6 months. But I fell off the wagon completely...I got a new job, stopped watching my calories, stopped exercising due to lack of time and even stopped taking my meds. Needless to say, that 30lbs crept back on. I just recently started my synthroid again and exercising. I need all the support I can get if I want to be under 200 by the time I turn 30.