The Dreads of Alcohol...Need Support!

Options
I am so disappointed in myself. I joined MFP in December, and within a month and a half shed about 10 pounds and 4 inches off my waist. I was super close to my weight lose goal of 15 pounds, and couldn't have been happier.

Some **** happened, as it often does in life, and I began backsliding. I started going out drinking almost every night of the week, and gained back all my weight, plus some. I've been back in the working-out game for over two months now, but am still guilty of drinking a lot on the weekends, which, of course, obliterates my judgement on what I eat, and I have yet to lose any weight.

Upon being prompted by a message board post on here, I am trying to not drink any alcohol for the month of August.

What I am needing is SUPPORT--preferably from others who struggle with partying a bit too much and are trying to get off a plateau.

Replies

• samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I struggle with it to. Keep it out of the house. I have been drinking mocktails. I like tropicana 50 orange juice - mix it with a can of diet ginger ale. It's not easy to say no, but the more you do the easier it gets.
  • anpow669
    anpow669 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you .. it is sooo Hard in the Summer months to stay away from the drinks! Every night that I have alcohol than the next day I am sooo disappointed in myself .. Its a constant struggle! Good Luck ..
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    So do you need to learn how alcohol works in the body or how not to drink?
  • Ilbrantdai
    Ilbrantdai Posts: 58
    Options

To be honest, both would be helpful!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options

To be honest, both would be helpful!
    I can help on the second point.

Stop buying alcohol.

As for the first, in terms of calories, it's 7 cals per gram where fat is 9 cals, and protein and carbs are 4 cals each.
  • pfftx
    pfftx Posts: 11
    Options
    I struggle with this too! A lot! In fact I think most of my recent weight gain is due to booze--I'm a whiskey / classic cocktail lover, and man, the calories in ONE manhattan....

It hurts to be stone cold sober on saturday night while all my friends are getting sauced. I can deal with the hunger pain, the headaches, and the rest of the diet just fine, but THAT makes me feel deprived.

So what do I do? Have a spritzer of mostly club soda and a half shot of something for flavor. That actually helps a lot for me. Have a go-to diet drink that *feels* like you're having a drink but isn't so bad calorically. And try to have some alternate form of buzz--like I drink coffee. Whatever you can do to make yourself feel special without blowing your budget.

Most of all it's hard work and slowly changing habits. I know how you feel, and I know you can do it! You're going to feel a lot better once you're over the bump of developing a strategy for this. All you need is a plan that you can live with :-)
  • Ilbrantdai
    Options
    I guess what I was getting at is that it would be nice to befriend some people on here with the same struggle. If it were as easy as "just stop!" I wouldn't be posting on a forum for Motivation and Support...
  • Ilbrantdai
    Options
    I struggle with this too! A lot! In fact I think most of my recent weight gain is due to booze--I'm a whiskey / classic cocktail lover, and man, the calories in ONE manhattan....

It hurts to be stone cold sober on saturday night while all my friends are getting sauced. I can deal with the hunger pain, the headaches, and the rest of the diet just fine, but THAT makes me feel deprived.

So what do I do? Have a spritzer of mostly club soda and a half shot of something for flavor. That actually helps a lot for me. Have a go-to diet drink that *feels* like you're having a drink but isn't so bad calorically. And try to have some alternate form of buzz--like I drink coffee. Whatever you can do to make yourself feel special without blowing your budget.

Most of all it's hard work and slowly changing habits. I know how you feel, and I know you can do it! You're going to feel a lot better once you're over the bump of developing a strategy for this. All you need is a plan that you can live with :-)

Thanks so much--I know I can do it, too! The big test will be in a couple of days. My sister will be in town, and there is a bar here she loves to visit. I am arming myself with as much will power as possible (along with my bf's support, who has to decided to lay off the sauce for the month with me) and going to see if I can resist. Thanks again for the kind words of motivation!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I used to struggle with the problem on a daily basis.
    I drank 6-7 days per week. I've only drank a handful of times this year, and haven't had more than 3 beers in a night since back in March. I just grew out of it and realized I couldn't achieve my goals if I continued to drink.

As much as it sucks to hear, "change your friends".
    After I quit drinking, I realized that most of those "friends" weren't very good friends at all, and just needed to grow up.

Find people who have passions in life, and actually do things other than drink.

If you ever need to talk it out, feel free to add me. I've been there before.
  • LeslieSJR
    LeslieSJR Posts: 64
    Options
    I started reading up on alcohol and saw several articles saying that alcohol contributes to anxiety, as well as reducing metabolism by up to 73%! Whether that info is dead on or not, it was significant enough to me that I am saving alcohol for special occasions only for the time being. I was previously having several glasses of wine more nights that not. It was a little tough to stop at first, but i feel so much better...it's worth it!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,085 Member
    Options
    I think once the Alcohol Free August thread gets rolling, there will be stories and support.

If you really think it is going to be that hard, why not go to a local AA meeting? They have the best strategies.

You know, One Day At A Time.

Keep It Simple.

Be Here Now. (Don't think about the past and future, just live in this moment.)

Any kind of spiritual journey you go on requires a lot of introspection. Maybe start a journal on your computer and get out all your frustrations and fears that way. Lots of us are struggling with spiritual issues. Okay, everyone struggles with something.
  • olong
    olong Posts: 255 Member
    Options

I want to hear what you have to say. I'm not a drinker (a drink a month tops - though none in the past seven months since joining MFP) and, so far, having to log the calories has been enough for me to abstain, but it is becoming more difficult to hold off on a weekend cocktail. I have nothing against alcohol, I simply don't want to log the empty calories. What you have to say may help.
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing though, you can't not drink for the rest of your life. And if not drinking is the only way you see to lose the weight, you are going to gain it all right back once you start drinking again.

The key to this (along with all other foods and drinks we love) is moderation. Just have 1 beer! Just have 1 glass of wine! Just have 1 drink! Unless you have a problem with addiction to alcohol, you should be able to do this. Be the DD, make everyone's night, save yourself some money. Have your one drink to toast with your friends, and then switch over to diet coke or something. Ideal drink? No. Will it kill your meal plan? NOPE! Order a hummus and veggie plate to snack on, so you can be involved, but you are making healthier choices.

Good luck. Remember- MODERATION, NOT EXCLUSION!
  • edgehn
    edgehn Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    try limiting your intake. I like the skinny girl brand its pretty good.. or tru drinking a glass of wine versus a cocktail or a light beer versus a regualr. Mich Ultra is pretty low cal
  • UnderConstructionJ
    UnderConstructionJ Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    {{{Raising my hand}}} I too suffer from the same problem. I'm good during the week because my schedule mainly allows for me to go to work, work out in the evenings, prepare meals for the next day, shower and bed. But the weekends...mainly Sat and Sun...I have no self control over the phone calls that include invites to go here and there to party, have a drink, dinner, etc. And although I may have all the good intentions of not over doing it...I'm not as lucky with each and every outing...and you find that you have made your weekly workouts worthless:-(
  • _tjejen_
    _tjejen_ Posts: 38
    Options
    I stopped drinking a long time ago when I realised how foolish people look when they are tanked at a club. I had to deal with lots of comments from friends tho who carried on and on about how I wasnt being any fun blah blah blah.

What I did was start drinking water and telling them it was vodka and occasionally buying those gourmet soda's (I couldn't do that now because I don't have any artificial sweeteners anymore). Lots of people confuse the bottle with a gourmet beer if you hide the label (or pick it off...pretend you've developed a nervous habit). If they want a sip tell them you think you might be getting a cold sore :P

Now I wouldnt give a toss about what my friends said but the tactics work just as well to cut out some of the booze without too many cals.

Dont read this next bit if you are easily offended...

just so you know, inability to control drinking once you have begun is one of the signs of alcoholism...not saying thats you, but noone WANTS to become an alcoholic and its not something that happens overnight, but it will destroy your life. One of those friends who bugged me to drink all the time...he is 35 and has lost everything because all he does is drink...so sad :(
  • coldxnotion
    coldxnotion Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do the exact same thing. I did not drink all of July until this past weekend when old family memebers brought back some craziness to my life. I drink when I'm stressed or sad which is NOT good. Just dust yourself back off and get back to where you need to be. You need to be strict and hard on yourself. I am very mad for this past weekend but I'm not going to carry it into my week. Neither should you
  • bethanylaugh
    bethanylaugh Posts: 237
    Options
    First off - volunteer to DD! When you know the group, or anyone, is depending on you to get home safe, it's a lot easier to keep your intake down.

Second - when you do drink, go for a vodka soda (or my new summer fav: coconut rum with club soda, topped with a tiny splash of pineapple juice: a 70calorie pina coloda!)

Third - keep in mind that alcohol is terrible for women especially. It's a huge contributor to breast cancer, stroke, diabetes, etc... and yes, binge drinking "once in a while" on the weekend when you're young IS contributing to all that! See these articles for motivation:
    http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/cancer/a/aa000921a.htm
    http://alcoholism.about.com/cs/women/a/aa010219a.htm

and Fourth - picture every drink you have as a candy bar. would you ever eat 6 candy bars in a night? of course not! but it's the same calories!! :sad:
  • jennadiane_
    jennadiane_ Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I used to have a glass or two of wine a night. But since I started MFP back up at the beginning of the month, and started working out like it's my job I have had no desire. I'm not sure why you were drinking, but my reasoning was due to long stressful days - between the kids and work, plus household work.. I was strapped. But now that I'm working out like it's my job, I have had no desire. I had my first glass of wine over this past weekend and I could barely finish it.

It was a stress relief for me, now it's my workouts. And if I'm still anxious at the end of the night I opt for a cup of Extra Sleepytime tea and I'm good.

As far as advice for going out - I can't really suggest anything. With two little ones and a husband working evenings, the chance to go to the bar or something just doesn't happen ever. Maybe, not go out so much? Or limit your cocktails to one or two (granted you're within your calories, you've worked out, etc) A glass of wine is 180 calories, is it really worth it?

Good luck!
  • bethanylaugh
    bethanylaugh Posts: 237
    Options
    ps - sorry about my picture, that's probably not helping! :embarassed: