Before or After a workout?

Options
Hey All! So I am curious... I've heard it both ways before but I am really trying to get down to the bottom of this. Is it better to eat before or after a cardio workout? I suppose it would depend on what types of food I consume before or after the workout? Please let me know your thoughts!! I would appreciate it. :bigsmile:

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Hey All! So I am curious... I've heard it both ways before but I am really trying to get down to the bottom of this. Is it better to eat before or after a cardio workout? I suppose it would depend on what types of food I consume before or after the workout? Please let me know your thoughts!! I would appreciate it. :bigsmile:

Assuming your total daily nutrition is reasonable, you should really only be concerned about the following primarily:

1) Performance during your cardio bout
    2) Personal preference/lifestyle

If you're performing multiple intra-day glycogen depleting events then post workout nutrition may become very important, but if you're just doing cardio once per day and eating something SOMETIME in between your workout and the following days workout (which you probably are) then it's a non issue.

Cliffs: Do whatever you prefer more.
  • 1SlimShaylee
    1SlimShaylee Posts: 204
    Options

Assuming your total daily nutrition is reasonable, you should really only be concerned about the following primarily:

1) Performance during your cardio bout
    2) Personal preference/lifestyle

If you're performing multiple intra-day glycogen depleting events then post workout nutrition may become very important, but if you're just doing cardio once per day and eating something SOMETIME in between your workout and the following days workout (which you probably are) then it's a non issue.

Cliffs: Do whatever you prefer more.

this!
  • MichelleB1427
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks!! That has helped =)
  • nancy4b2g
    nancy4b2g Posts: 26
    Options
    I am paying big bucks to learn this with a doctor. Here is what she says. A protein drink before the workout and if your are going to eat after you workout eat within a 45 minute timeframe from exercising. Your metabolism is up and the calories will burn faster but you need protein for your muscles when you work out. So I do both. Plus she has me eating 5 to 6 small meals a day. Hope this helps.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I try to have something before if I'm running early in the AM....at least a banana or a GU pack, but that's just me. I usually run in the evening, though, so I've already spent the day eating before my cardio. After, I generally have low fat chocolate milk as a "recovery" drink. Again, that's what works for me but everyone is different.
  • virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    For ME it depends. If i starved the day before (usually not intentional...) then i might eat a piece of fruit. If all went well the night before then i work out without food. I prefer to workout on an empty stomach... (oddly enough i tend to feel full for agood 10 minutes after a workout)
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is different, eating prior to working out makes me pukey, so I workout fasted and usually eat within an hour after finishing my workout.
  • ellybeann
    ellybeann Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I work out every morning (cardio & strength training) I drink a whey shake (made with water) before and eat after.I think it depends on you, I cant eat before not even a bananna.
  • alvinder_kaur
    Options
    from what i have learned from my trainer.. he say within one hour of your workout its advisable not to eat anything cause your body cells are active so the food you eat , will then be absorb and retain by the body cells... so it will lead to weight increase.

I have personally tried this for one week, and actually after doing 2 hours intense workout for 7 days... i didnt loose even a pound.
    Then on the second week and till 2 months now i tried not to eat anything within the 1 hour after workout.. i can easily loose 4 pounds in a week...

but its true, u need to eat something 45 minutes before workout to give your body energy...
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    My work outs tend to be an hour or so after dinner. When I get home, I typically eat a protein rich snack around 300 cals.
    Usually a healthy lunch meat and cheese roll up.
  • MichelleB1427
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice! I dont like to eat before a workout but if it's going to help my body properly I will! lol. Someone told me if I am going to eat Carbs to eat before, if it's Protein to eat after. So I just wanted to clarify. What I have been doing is working well, I was just curious if it was a must or not. I want a healthy body, and if eating before or after will help thats all I care for. =) thanks again for all the responses!
  • kiddoc88
    kiddoc88 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Both!
    before a workout, not too soon before (don;t want an upset tummy-about an hour or so) you want something higher on the glycemic index or your carbs. I like to think of them as the "kindling" to get your fire started. Carbs are the quick burning fuel that will give you your energy for your workout.
    Afterward, you want your meal / more protein. I've heard its important to eat withing 30 min of finishing a workout. The protein is your ' logs' what'll re-fuel and keep you going longer term.
    Anyway thats what worked for me. hope my fire analogy makes sense
  • epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I am paying big bucks to learn this with a doctor. Here is what she says. A protein drink before the workout and if your are going to eat after you workout eat within a 45 minute timeframe from exercising. Your metabolism is up and the calories will burn faster but you need protein for your muscles when you work out. So I do both. Plus she has me eating 5 to 6 small meals a day. Hope this helps.

Wow, you're paying big bucks for that advice? I'd ask for your money back, you're getting ripped off. That's all advice you could get from a 5-10 year old bodybuilding forum, which has all been proven wrong since then.

OP: read Sidesteal's post above and take his advice on this topic.