diatomaceous earth

Options
cpegasus01
cpegasus01 Posts: 400 Member
So I have a question. Has anyone on here ever used the food grade diatomaceous earth? I know a couple of people who are using it and they love it. I personally started using it today. It supposedly has lots of health benefits - not just for you but for your pets too. It's all natural and organic. google it and see what you come up with. I will update occasionally with how it is going.

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Zul-Drak is a great place to farm these.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I :heart: diatoms!
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I use it... as an insect repellant. :noway: Wouldn't eat it.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I have it for my pool filter...
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    How does one eat this?
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    How does one eat this?
    I'm thinking mud pies.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Zul-Drak is a great place to farm these.
    I giggled like an idiot at this response!
  • NWCyclingBeast
    NWCyclingBeast Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I use it to keep the fleas down in my yard... Works pretty well.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    One of my co-workers takes it for arthritis and swears by its effectiveness in reducing joint swelling and pain.
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I used to use this stuff to kill mites when I bred mice o_o I don't think I'd eat it...lol
  • piesbd
    piesbd Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have not used it as a food supplement, and really was not aware that it was available for human use. I do know that it is an additive for sheep feed, as the bag I picked up to use for insect repellant was the sheep feed one!

I also know that it is used in filtration in a number of capacities, pool (as mentioned), pharma uses it, and I am sure there re a ton others!

:)
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I use it as a facial mask! Love it :) Never heard of eating it though.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I used it once as a flea treatment.
  • piesbd
    piesbd Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    One of my co-workers takes it for arthritis and swears by its effectiveness in reducing joint swelling and pain.

Okay, so that got my attention. DH has psoriatic arthritis really bad. Anything that could help...... will have to look into it
  • ThePeachPrincess
    ThePeachPrincess Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been researching this all day, as we have acquired fleas from the neighbors dog that they tied to a fence and left there. :/ While I've seen that there is food grade DE, I never thought about actually eating it. Everything I've read says that even the food grade can be hazardous.
  • STC189
    STC189 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've never ingested it, but we use it to keep the mites and what not off of our chickens.
  • Shaayness
    Shaayness Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We used it for a pool filter years ago, and all I know is that I'm worried about what adverse health affects it may have as we did not wear proper personal protection. It's very dangerous to breath this stuff in, it is a carcinogen. You're actually supposed to wear ventilators when you're adding it to the filter..... I most definitely wouldn't eat it.... That could just be me, now I'm curious what health benefits it would have! Time to do some reading! (I still would never eat it...)
  • asasser2002
    Options
    *BUMP* Very interested in learning more about it also ~ for pets and people.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Just because something is organic does not mean you should eat it
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I use it... as an insect repellant. :noway: Wouldn't eat it.

^^This...100 times, this!