Pratical Weekday Lunch Ideas

Options
2»

Replies

• imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Great website for dinner items that can be taken as leftovers for lunch the next day: skinnytaste.com

I eat more frequent smaller meals throughout the day at work and bring some of these regularly:
    - Greek Yogurt
    - Fresh Fruit - whatever berries are on sale that week (put in yogurt depending on what I have on hand)
    - Blue Diamond Almonds (24 nuts portioned out) - I like the dark chocolate and cinnamon flavors for an afternoon snack
    - I bring one low carb/whole wheat wrap (Wrap-Itz brand) and a tupperware of what I have to fill it with when I am ready to eat such as: rice, black beans (rinsed to reduce sodium) corn and salsa or chicken salad made with fresh chopped chicken breast from the night before, light mayo, celery and brown mustard or immitation crab meat mixed with light mayo, brown mustard, celery, lemon juice....or really whatever you want to wrap up for lunch - I bring it in tupperware so I can portion it out and it also doesnt get soggy.

I used to buy lunch every day at work and realized how much I was spending (on top of the groceries I bought for home) as well as the unhealthy choices I was making...so I started bringing my lunch and snacks and it works great for me. What helped me the most was investing in good tupperware! Sounds kind of funny, but if you have a variety of sizes and lids that don't leak you can portion things out for each snack or meal making it much easier to pack a lunch for work. Bringing for me is much more economical and healthier than buying!
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Lunch meat is actually LOADED with sodium so you're better off without that!

Amy's Low Sodium Meals are a good but semi expensive microwave/easy option. Buy them at Target or a chain grocery store because Whole Foods charges RIDICULOUS prices. I really like the low sodium soups and indian meals!

Also Amy's Frozen Burrito's aren't too bad on sodium. The ones I like are 680 MG in sodium which isn't too terrible but I believe there are other with less.

I really like tomato, hummus, cucumber, carrot, baby spinach wraps. Basically hummus is amazing and you can add any veggie you want to it. It's also super easy to make your own if you have a food processor so you can control the ingredients and the sodium.

Avacado's added to anything will help you feel full !

I'm trying to watch sodium too, it's tough because i like you need easy meals I can prepare at work!
  • BABC2010
    BABC2010 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I usually make up some tuna salad, egg salad, and/or chicken salad on Sunday nights for the week ahead. I have entered each of the recipes into my profile already (including the Sara Lee 45 calorie bread) so they are easy to add each day. With Scotch tape and a Sharpie, I label the containers with the serving size & calorie count (as reminders to me) and an expiration date 7 days out. Then, in the morning, all I have to do is throw a piece of bread on the scale, set it to zero, and measure out the "filling" the each sandwich. I like to pre-measure and label snack bags of baby carrot, nuts, etc too so I can just grab and go in the morning. Feel free to contact me if you're interested in any of my really simple recipes.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Lunch is usually leftovers from dinner - if I made extra. If not, I have a big salad with tuna for protein. I normally spend a day every couple of weeks stuffing my freezer full of grab and go things already packed and weighed with calories listed on the container so If I'm in a jam I can just grab one. I made a big pot of chili that's got about 180 calories for a cup, toss a pinch of cheese on it grab a slice of bread and I'm golden. Sometimes I'll have a sandwich / wrap, but if I do then I always pack everything separately and assemble it at work - I HATE soggy food!
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Almost every day I bring a big salad (lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber) with some grilled chicken on the top and some feta cheese. Makes a super-tasty lunch, which is usually around 300 calories or so. I bring greek yogurt and fruit for snacks.
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    I usually have oatmeal and a Sargento lower sodium cheese stick or hard boiled eggs.
  • julietfayexo
    Options
    What I do a lot of the time is I'll buy some dry cheese tortolini, cook it the night before work, then the next morning make a pasta salad with it. I put cucumbers, tomatoes, italian dressing, carrots, and sometimes I'll just mix it with a cole slaw mix/shredded carrots. It's DELICIOUS and so easy! I usually have about 3/4 of a cup of the tortolini and just mix however much else i want. p.s. the tortolini doesn't have any sodium in it, just make sure you don't add salt when you boil it and you'll be good:)
  • bringit30
    bringit30 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Bag of 50/50 lettace and spinich, feta cheese, sunflower seeds, blueberries, green onion, green pepper and cucumbers will make me a lunch for a few days :) Easy and fresh!
  • poshcouture
    poshcouture Posts: 610
    Options
    Amy's products have a "light in sodium" line with some healthy frozen entrees and soups.
    http://www.amys.com/products/product-categories/light-in-sodium

I also like to do 1 serving of tri-color rotini pasta with lots of veggies like broccoli, carrots, onion, peppers, cauliflower for a pasta salad with some light balsamic dressing. You could add grilled chicken tenders as well.

Amy's products are great! Especially if you're trying to eat less processed and more natural foods. There are also gluten-free alternatives. I also buy bags of organic Spinach and baby kale for a quick salad...spaghetti squash and organic marinaras.
  • amyallenstockwell
    amyallenstockwell Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    carrots and hummus
    greek yogurt with a pack splenda fresh fruit mixed in or mashed up Great Grains type cereal from traders joes
    I know it is hot outside, but soup is really fililng. Chili is much better for you than you think. Hot and sour soup (chinese)-low cal can eat alot, chili, blackbean soup and kind of veggie soup or veggie beef.
    Cucumbers and tomatoes (as much as I can eat) with feta with LF salad dressing
    Keep cheesy instant grits/rainsin, date walnut oatmeal, at my desk
    Good Luck!
  • swankyness
    swankyness Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    I usually add veggies(favorites-zucchini, onions, peppers, spinach) and sometimes meat (ground beef or turkey sausage) to pasta sauce, and use trader joes or market basket 100% whole wheat pasta. I love it hot or cold.
    Sam