Thinking about food all the time!

Options
I have come, gone, and come back to MFP a few times. Each time it surprises me how insanely focused I am on food when I start back in. Does anyone else find that? Instead of having a sense of freedome knowing that my meals are planned out, I obsess over what I "get" to eat that day and what time I plan on eating it. "Oh no- lunch isn't for another 2 hours and I'm starving." "Oh good, lunch is in 10 min, I hope I feel full." Then I get this incredible sense of urgency and enthusiasm to work out in the middle of the day- you know, when I'm at my desk and can't do anything. By the time I leave and am heading to my walk/jog the enthusiasm has dwindled and it is now a "chore". Granted- not everyday is this emotional roller coaster, some days are just regular old days that end in "y" but other days it's as though the change in lifestyle has me by the throat and is slamming me back and forth against walls. Hmm... wasn't expecting THAT to come out! :laugh:
Mallorie

Replies

• dmdrumm12
    dmdrumm12 Posts: 1
    Options
    It is definatly an addiction I to experience thinking of food all the time. But I am finding out I need to be because if I don't I am mindlessly sitting down with a bag of chips or a box of cereal and milk and when its gone thinking what have I just done. One day at a time is what I keep telling myself. For me it is an addiction which I haven't been able to kick yet but wll keep trying. Good Luck and know you are not alone in feeling this way.
  • Dave_MFP
    Dave_MFP Posts: 32
    Options
    You think about food because your brain is receiving pleasure from the activity of eating. I think the secret to stop thinking about food all the time is to find something else to satisfy that pleasure urge.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,304 Member
    Options
    mmm I think it is the nature of logging your food and planning things out. I look at mfp as a way to get me in tune with portion size and it makes me dream up ways to make my calories count in flavor and satiety. I sort of enjoy getting on here and really enjoy the support and advice from others. ..and I know over time it will get old to me and I'll just know what to do.
  • goblynn
    goblynn Posts: 152
    Options
    I'm with you sister!!! I suffer from the exact same thing.

When I go to sleep at night I am already thinking about breakfast. When I am working out in the morning I think about how hungry I feel and how good it is going to be to eat breakfast and pray that today will be the day I feel satisfied afterward.

Since joining MFP I have really been focusing on trying to watch my behaviors towards food. I seem obsessed with it.

Since I DO think about food almost every minute of the day I have spread out my meal times by 2-3 hours. Even at this interval, I find myself to be feeling hungry. I don't know if I am really hungry or if I am just bored and think I am hungry- I CANT TELL THE DIFFERENCE!!! When I look at the food I eat during the day you would with I would have any reason to feel hungry. I drink tea multiple times a day just to get me through to my next food fix!! (lol)

I have posted something similar to your post on MFP before. The most common response is that I am ADDICTED to food, problem is food isn't something you can cut cold turkey like alcohol, cigarettes, or drugs- so what is the solution?? I'm not sure.

I grow frustrated with myself as I see myself make really bad choices ( sunday I at an entire bag of chocolate covered raisins- 1lbs. bag) I separated each serving to prevent myself from eating too much but for some reason, I kept running back to the kitchen in some sort of trance--- later when I logged my calories I was shocked to see I ate all my calories for the day!!! It was only 2pm.

Sorry I am not much help. I know how you feel.... the only advice I can give is don't give up!! I'm not going to. I am going to keep fighting this.. even if I never am completely free of all my food thoughts at least I am making better choices. :) Work in progress....
  • smartal5
    smartal5 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I find myself doing alright during the day, but as soon as it gets dark out, it seems like I become a bottomless pit. All I can think about is food and I am constantly walking back and forth between the table in the living room where I'm working and the kitchen pantry. I usually glance through the cupboards and fridge and then head back to the table to work. I don't always grab food, but when I do it's typically "junk" like chips or cookies. I've recently gotten rid of all of that type of food and only have semi-healthy snacks like popcorn. I'll have to try drinking tea more. I've found that reaching for water just doesn't help- I need the taste of something to feel like I'm filling up. I'm a fan of Stevia since it's sweet with no calories and just one carb. Maybe that will help with the desire to eat.

I agree that this is an addiction, and it is damnably difficult to change the, "Eat NOW!" mentality. Hopefully we'll all get there, in time.
  • malibootie
    malibootie Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! With regards to the addiction aspect- I don't always think about food, only when I first get back on MFP. When I am so hyper-aware of logging and planning my meals out. When I am not logging, or when I have been doing it (well) for a few months I lose that sense of urgency and that "countodown" mentality. So I am not sure if it would be an actual addiction, or just a matter of it being in my head since I am consciously focusing on it to get "retrained." I don't claim to be an expert, so maybe it's both, or neither, or maybe I'm an alien from a planet in a different solar system. Of those options, I think the combo is probably more likely. :bigsmile:
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Take up intermittent fasting.
    After a few weeks youll train your body that it only eats at certain times.
    If you are cutting calories and eating say, 1500-1800, instead of eating those calories in smaller meals you get to enjoy 3 big meals.
    Maybe it would help you?
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fasting-weight-loss/#axzz22DLrJfiy
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Ha! OMG you're funny! I am this way too but with all food all the time. I just love it! Especially baked foods and sweets!!!! I totally understand. AA has those books for one day at a time....they need that for Food Addicts! :)
  • BrittanyErica
    BrittanyErica Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I've suffered from this exact thing.. twice. Both times, I went 3 months, eating EXTREMELY clean; not one unhealthy snack or meal. The thing is, I've always been addicted to horrible food, and dropping it off like what I did caused my cravings to skyrocket, and I was always wanting to eat because I never felt satisfied while not fufiling my cravings.
    Sadly, this caused me to binge eat horrible food and end up gaining more weight than I lost.. both times. What I'm doing now (and you and many other people may not agree with) is incorperating a "cheat meal". A meal + dessert of WHATEVER you're craving for that sitting. I used to do this once a week (I scheduled Sunday's to be my "cheat meal day"), but as I started to not crave these foods nearly as much, I've progressed to eating my "cheat meal" once every 2 weeks (now it's every second Sunday).
    Having one cheat meal per week/bi-weekly is actually proven to be benificial for weight loss too. It will shock your body, confusing it from the traditional healthy food, and causing a tremendous metabolism boost.

Well, I hope my word helped, and good luck with everything! :)
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I find myself doing alright during the day, but as soon as it gets dark out, it seems like I become a bottomless pit. All I can think about is food and I am constantly walking back and forth between the table in the living room where I'm working and the kitchen pantry. I usually glance through the cupboards and fridge and then head back to the table to work. I don't always grab food, but when I do it's typically "junk" like chips or cookies. I've recently gotten rid of all of that type of food and only have semi-healthy snacks like popcorn. I'll have to try drinking tea more. I've found that reaching for water just doesn't help- I need the taste of something to feel like I'm filling up. I'm a fan of Stevia since it's sweet with no calories and just one carb. Maybe that will help with the desire to eat.

I agree that this is an addiction, and it is damnably difficult to change the, "Eat NOW!" mentality. Hopefully we'll all get there, in time.

^^This is me. I'm all gravy until after dinner. No matter how satisfying dinner is, I find myself craving half the damn fridge afterwards. Best thing that has helped me are protein shakes. I make a cake batter shake I found on Pinterest and that satisfies my sweet tooth, and even though I still want to nom nom on everything in sight, I'm too damn full to.
  • BrieLP
    BrieLP Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I felt that way when i first started logging my food. But it wasn't good food I was thinking about... it was more like "I really really really want a cheeseburger instead of my fish or i really really really want ice cream after dinner.... But lately My whole mindset has turned to thinking of "working out" and "burning calories" it's quite ridiculous since I HATE working out.... but joining in on the daily challenges has helped make it fun for me....
  • SparkleHorse224
    SparkleHorse224 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    As much as I hate to mention a certain other weight-loss programs (Eight-way Atchers-way)... their focus is on the lifestyle, not the "diet." They don't want to call it a diet at all. You DO have to think about it a lot because you have to change how you think which is difficult.

If you are hungry a lot of the time, maybe you're not eating enough of the right foods? Not eating the right combination?

Personally, i have noticed that my cravings have really tapered off. I'm in my....um...I think 3rd week with MFP and I've noticed a real change. Also, having to log in and "spend" points makes me very mindful of what I'm eating.

2 cents. :flowerforyou:
  • Ivana331
    Ivana331 Posts: 230
    Options
    I am on day 2 of my new health kick and working out. I find myself craving soda, chips, something! I eat what I am supposed to, but want more. Like just now I finished my lunch(leftovers from last night) and I am already wanting to munch on something, but I only have about 300 calories left for the day and I still have dinner! :( It's hard. Last night I was craving an ice cream. I try to take it one hour at a time at this point, I know eventually my cravings should die down, if not disappear entirely.
  • Ivana331
    Ivana331 Posts: 230
    Options
    I've suffered from this exact thing.. twice. Both times, I went 3 months, eating EXTREMELY clean; not one unhealthy snack or meal. The thing is, I've always been addicted to horrible food, and dropping it off like what I did caused my cravings to skyrocket, and I was always wanting to eat because I never felt satisfied while not fufiling my cravings.
    Sadly, this caused me to binge eat horrible food and end up gaining more weight than I lost.. both times. What I'm doing now (and you and many other people may not agree with) is incorperating a "cheat meal". A meal + dessert of WHATEVER you're craving for that sitting. I used to do this once a week (I scheduled Sunday's to be my "cheat meal day"), but as I started to not crave these foods nearly as much, I've progressed to eating my "cheat meal" once every 2 weeks (now it's every second Sunday).
    Having one cheat meal per week/bi-weekly is actually proven to be benificial for weight loss too. It will shock your body, confusing it from the traditional healthy food, and causing a tremendous metabolism boost.

Well, I hope my word helped, and good luck with everything! :)

I have heard of something similar to this. In high school a teacher of mine was eating healthy to lose weight and he told us he had this "diet" where he was allowed one cheat day each month. As long as he exercised and ate healthy the rest of the month, he had one day where he could pretty much eat whatever he wanted and not worry about gaining weight. I am thinking in a couple of weeks, after I get more settled into my new eating habits, I will try this cheat thing out.
  • tribby
    tribby Posts: 14
    Options
    I LOVE to eat!!! I admit it. So what I try to do is maintain a good food "budget". I could eat a chocolate bar for lunch if I really want to, but then I have to cut back somewhere else. I'm finding that stocking up on many healthy foods in advance and having them readily available, it's so much easier to talk myself out of the unhealthy options. It's actually kind of fun after awhile. I can eat SO much more "good/healthy" foods, if I refrain from the unhealthy options. This thinking also motivates me to exercise regularly as well. I have more options if I burn more calories. Finding the time to exercise is always a challenge, but keep your eye on the prize. It's so worth it in the end.