Is it better to track as you go/eat or plan ahead?

Options

Replies

• runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    planning ahead works way better for me than winging it. after years of doing this it makes the most sense for my life.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Its better to do what works for you. I track as I go with only enough planning ahead to think "look if you eat 1200 calories now that doesn't leave you much for dinner" and that works great for me, other people don't do well with it.
  • puffidredz
    puffidredz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    i track and then eat. i used to eat and then track but then got upset that i ate more sodium or more calories than i thought
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    here is a good website to check ...maybe help you decide whats best for you :)

http://thefitgirls.com/menu-planning.aspx
  • alisiaendris
    alisiaendris Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I simply cannot plan out my whole day. I hate doing it. So, instead I aim for a certian amt. of calories at each meal. If one meal is less, then I have some spare for the next. If one meal is a bit more, then I eat as bit less at the next. It is a lot of math in your head, but it works well for me. Having knowledge of how many calories are in things helps too. My smart phone helps with this. :wink:
  • Cgrnlaw
    Cgrnlaw Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I think planning is better, but I log as I go
  • teamtommo6
    teamtommo6 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I always input what I'm going to eat the day before, and then edit it later if something changes.
  • QueenOfShiba
    QueenOfShiba Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump
  • souperficial
    souperficial Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If I"m going to be eating something I can't avoid (like a family dinner or some event), I'll plan my day ahead of time. If not, I'll usually just make healthy choices throughout the day and figure it out as I go.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i lost a lot of weight in the beginning because every night i sat down and logged my food for the next day. every meal, snack, drink, glass of wine, etc etc.

i usually went over my calories in the log book, but didn't mind, because i'd be able to take something off the list if i didn't feel as hungry or whatever.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    If I plan too much, I feel stifled. But, not everyone is the same way. The only things I'll plan for are parties and gym.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    it helps me a lot when I'm able to plan ahead. Sometimes, I have to make small changes here and there, but for the most part, planning works for me.
  • kac_1120
    kac_1120 Posts: 1
    Options
    I find it easier to plan it out and adjust as the day goes on...it works better for me b/c otherwise I feel like I am constantly going back and forth all day :)
  • Michele7091
    Michele7091 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I plan ahead. Its just easier that way. And if know that I am going to the gym, I know I can afford to eat a little bit more so I try and save evening goodies for those days. It also helps so that I can plan my workouts accordingly to help offset the days when I know I'll be eating more.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I plan, but thats the kind of person I am and the lifestyle and job I have allows me for easy planning, so it really helps a lot. Most mornings I eat the same thing everyday any way ( oatmeal) and lunch I always plan. Dinner is the only thing that sometimes does not get planned ahead.
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    i plan my meals out every week before grocery shopping

here is what the first half of this week looks like:

4b4b3240.jpg

Wow That Is Really Great Way To Plan Out Your Meals in advance:):) Your Doing Great job!! I want to do that may self!! Thank you for sharing
  • amymichelle1226
    amymichelle1226 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I plan ahead, usually in the morning for that day, sometimes for the next day too. When I get to work in the morning, I log everything I brought with me that day, breakfast, snacks, lunch. It helps me plan the rest of my day, mostly dinner. It also helps with my self control! I know how many calories I have left and if anyone offers me anything at work, I have even more of a reason to say no. I feel like if I just logged as I went, I would be saying 'oops' a lot. :)
  • gracemaymills
    gracemaymills Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hiya- i tend to plan ahead as I eat my breakfast and if I know I am going out for dinner I check out the menu and try to plan the calories i might eat (and the cheeky glasses of wine I might drink). If I think I will not meet my daily target I try to do more exercise!

Planning is definitely the way forward!

Let us know how it goes :smile:
  • ashlafer
    ashlafer Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Try to find a happy medium. Planning may help you get to your goals faster in the long-run, but if it stresses you out too much, it may be counterproductive and actually hinder your progress (especially if you stress about it so much that you end up giving up).

I planned everything down to the tee for a week or two in the beginning of the summer. But it took a really, really long time, as I'd have to plan, count, and pack everything the night before going to work. I actually lost sleep over it, which is obviously not good!

What works best for me is visualizing how many calories I have to spend on each meal. My breakfast is almost always the same 300-calorie meal (cereal, milk, banana...creature of habit :P), about 100 for a morning snack, then I have about 400 calories to spend on lunch, 200 for 3 o'clock snack, and 400 for dinner. It's kind of a happy medium.

I recommend figuring out calorie counts for the foods and meals you eat most. When you're preparing your food, just jot down the calories of whatever you use on a sticky note, and estimate how much that sums up to. That way, it's easier to tell if you can have another piece of food or if you should skip desert. ("Meatballs: 150, Whole wheat spaghetti: 200...I think I can throw in a tomato or two and two Hershey kisses!")

By the way, if you're ever at the point that you realize you only have x-amount of calories for your last meal, don't beat yourself up to hit that amount exactly. Especially if it's less than 300 calories, or whatever you need to feel satisfied (by "satisfied," I mean "I am full and no longer hungry," not "YUM THOSE FIVE PIECES OF CAKE WERE SO SATISFYING" or "snickers satisfies"). I find that sometimes it's OK to go over by 100 calories than to try to hit my mark exactly, since it makes me less prone to late-night snacks and emotional eating.

Best of luck! :) You've got this! If you slip up today, make tomorrow better :)
  • fit4lyfeLisa
    fit4lyfeLisa Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I always plan ahead. I log my meals the night before.