Oatmeal, UGH!

Options

Replies

• orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Personally i love it with just a teaspoon of sugar and then all mixed up - about 16 cals.

Sometimes, I'll add a teaspoon of honey or lemon curd instead, just for a change. Not a big fan of adding fruit into my porridge.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Instead of water add unsweetened vanilla almond milk-YUM! Also, a spoonful of peanut butter mixed in it is good. Or any fruit-blueberries, strawberries, even bananas are good to mix in.
  • Strobins05
    Strobins05 Posts: 716
    Options
    Honey, peanut butter, bananas, blueberries, craisins/raisins. I also add flax seed and it gives a nutty flavor

Never thought of adding flaxseeds,yummo! Now I know what my breaky is for the AM, LOL. Thanks
  • bayertablets
    bayertablets Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    FYI I throw things together on Sundays, keep them in the fridge all week, and eat them cold throughout the week. No cooking required!

I usually throw some protein powder in mine (which adds a lot of sweetness). Dried berries or raisins, nuts, cinnamon, cocoa, peanut butter, and even dark chocolate espresso beans are my usual favorites. I make different ones for each day. The one I ate today had some golden raisins, a bit of cinnamon, and a packet of Sweet 'n Low.
  • ctrygirl555
    Options
    fresh blue berries agava necter as well
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal every single morning.

1/2 oats
    Tblsp unsweetened cocoa powder
    Tblsp organic peanut butter or nuts
    Honey or Stevia
    Cinnamon
    Berries, apple or 1/2 banana
    Greek plain yogurt or egg whites (on the sude) or both

Or I do classic salty porridge

1 cup oats
    1/3 cup milk
    Salt and pepper
    Egg whites on the side for more protein
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    This morning I added half a cup of frozen no sugar added blueberries, they sweetened it up as well as cooled it down to a good hot but not too hot temperature to eat.
  • nicolio8699
    nicolio8699 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    if yr not against splenda--that's what i add with cinnamon! sometimes a few almonds and raisins, but that will def add to sugar/fat, etc! but just cinnamon and splenda is great!
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    If you like cinnamon, try adding a bit of nutmeg, too.
  • katiekido
    katiekido Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    There are some newer great brands of oatmeal out there - try Oats Revolution (available at Target). Whole Foods offers similar product by a company called Three Sisters. The Plain Grain version only has 1 gram of sugar, sweeten it up with a small packet of Stevia and add in a teaspoon of cinnamon and a touch of nutmeg. For even more flavor add in some blueberries or raspberries. Another option - Trader Joes has a frozen steel cut oatmeal that is delicious. It's slightly sweet with a great texture!

Adding sunflower seeds or flax seeds also will help boost your fiber, protein and some taste!
  • ajh1014
    ajh1014 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Sugar Free Vanilla Syrup, cinnamon & blueberries. YUM! Don't add the blueberries until after it is done cooking. They make your oatmeal cool enough to eat and they don't get over cooked.
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I put dark chocolate chips in mine... adds some good fats to your macros to the day and it tastes really good :)
  • salgalruns
    salgalruns Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have oatmeal pretty much most days. I put green apples (sliced) into a pot with a little water and boil them with cinnamon (it only takes about 2 minutes), put my oatmeal into the micro, and then add a touch of almond milk and the apples. I also sometimes add bananas, pecans, maple syrup, honey, or blueberries depending on my mood or my calorie predictions for the day (syrup, honey, and nuts are higher, obv)

I get frozen oatmeal from Fresh & Easy. I pop it out of the container into the bowl and voila!!! Awesomeness.
  • whitingsl
    whitingsl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    my favorite is to add fresh strawberries (3 sliced), fresh blueberries (1/4 C), shelled walnuts (1 Tbsp) and stevia (1 tsp). It's tasty, healthy and filling.
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I throw in blueberries and goji berries when I am making mine, the blueberries explode a little and sweeten it, the goji berries keep me fuller, I also add some ground flax seeds (golden have a milder taste if you don't care for the taste of them.)
  • krissymonique
    krissymonique Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal every morning and I love it! I look forward to having breakfast, I eat it with half a cup of low fat activia and half a cup of blueberries. Sometimes I add cherries or cantaloupe too :)
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/557721-meal-makeover-a-more-powerful-oatmeal/
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I make it with milk instead of water and use steel cut oats. That way I don't end up with wall paper paste/glue. I also decided right at the beginning that I would use honey or syrup as a sweetener. Prefer to take the calorie hit at breakfast and cut back a bit later if I have to.
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I add peanut butter and fruit to mine. Keeps me full till snack time mid morning. I'll add strawberries, or blueberries, or a banana or half a granny smith apple sliced thin
  • themathelk
    Options
    bland is a good word - but do you know that oatmeal doesn't have to be sweet? I saw an article titled "sexy oatmeal" and it's wonderful. You soft cook an egg so it's still just a little runny, put it on your cooked oatmeal and pierce it so it runs; mix with salt and pepper and some parmesean. It's AWESOME!

There are lots of things you can do to not add many calories, cocoa, fruit bits, almond extract, strawberry extract - just a couple drops of extracts will really punch up your flavor. Vanilla! yum. Hubs uses splenda's brown sugar and some healthy butter and cinnamon. I've also put splenda, fat free creamer, cocoa and instant coffee - but I love the flavor of sweet dessert coffee.
  • Kimshu
    Kimshu Posts: 5
    Options
    Walnuts and craisins! Sounds crazy, but it's good a sweet!