• DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    applesauce!!

or apple butter or pumpkin butter
  • Ziggyzambo
    Ziggyzambo Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Adding a few teaspoons of sugar doesn't add many calories, and dramatically improves the taste. Frozen blueberries are also good, though I still like to add a little sugar, as blueberries really aren't that sweet. Raisins are really good too, but the calories add up fast.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    The orange PEEL will have more orange flavor. If you don't have a "zester" ... you can use a really sharp knife to cut away the pith (that's the tasteless white backing) away from the peel. Then chop the peel really fine.

Maple extract? along with a bit of brown sugar. Vanilla extract & craisins maybe

You could toast the oats (before cooking... adds a little nuttyness) then add peanut butter

If you are adverse to oatmeal texture at all ..... steel cut oats are so good. Coach's brand are instant steel cut (they are already toasted) and cook in 5 minutes..... so good.
  • hiddensmiles21
    Options
    You soft cook an egg so it's still just a little runny, put it on your cooked oatmeal and pierce it so it runs; mix with salt and pepper and some parmesean. It's AWESOME!

mind. blown.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Try steel cut oats. They taste better and the texture is soooooooo much better. I put fruit in mine. Sometimes a spoon of honey. Frozen blueberries are my fav.

I finally bought some more yesterday, had been out a while. The steel cut oats cost a little more so I only buy them when I'm at store in Fort Worth, they have it in bulk there and it's about $3 less than quaker or another brand.

I eat more of it in the winter though.

AMEN to the Steel Cut Oats - Bob's Red Mill is my favorite brand. http://www.bobsredmill.com/steel-cut-oats.html (check the review section here for some ideas on cooking & serving)

It takes longer to cook, but the texture is so worth it.

I like mine with brown sugar, though..........prolly not what you were looking for. Some of the other ideas here are excellent!
  • Kimshu
    Kimshu Posts: 5
    Options
    Oh my gosh! That sounds so good! I'm going to try that!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    My oatmeal today came out tasting like PB fudge brownie batter- similar texture too.

40 g Rolled Oats
    16 g ground flax seed
    20 g Creamy Natural PB
    10 g Hershey's unsweetened cocoa
    13 g PB2 (probably could have done one or the other PB or PB2 but I keep the PB for the fat)
    3 servings Stevia (to taste, will depend how bitter you like cocoa to be)
    Pinch of Salt
    1.25 cups water

Microwave for 3:30 in microwavable bowl, then add:
    1.5 Servings Chocolate Protein Powder

Now, I eat huge IF meals, so my oatmeal is probably double the calories you would want if you eat smaller meals, if so, halve the quantities listed.
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    You soft cook an egg so it's still just a little runny, put it on your cooked oatmeal and pierce it so it runs; mix with salt and pepper and some parmesean. It's AWESOME!

mind. blown.

Sounds good!
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Real maple syrup works for me and a little milk so it's not pasty..
  • SaraBelle0312
    SaraBelle0312 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    bump for ideas :)
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options

mind. blown.

I bet this would be good with quinoa too....
  • SaraBelle0312
    SaraBelle0312 Posts: 328 Member
    Options

mind. blown.

How do you "soft cook" an egg?
  • seardefilip
    Options
    Raw Honey, Agava, Raisins, Raw Sugar, Nuts, Cranberries, Cinnamon :flowerforyou:

THIS
  • FunandFitMom
    FunandFitMom Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Craisins, honey, and almonds or walnuts - more protein and more fiber along with the bump in flavor :)
  • jdsmom0104
    jdsmom0104 Posts: 236
    Options
    i enjoy flax seed & wheat germ
  • missworld95
    missworld95 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I usually add half a banana cut up (or you can mash it), peices of dark chocolate, brown sugar, a pinch of salt.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i like to scoop two tablespoons of peanut butter right into the pot, as it's all cooking. i put all the ingredients in at once, except the toppings, so it cooks evenly.

also, chop up an apple as a topping.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    pb or pb2, or yogurt! heat the yogurt in the microwave and then add to oatmeal so yummy and only about 200 cals total
  • AmandaLou4319
    AmandaLou4319 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Salt. Just add a little and it can really give it flavor. Even if you sweeten it, add a little salt.
  • j_wilson2012
    j_wilson2012 Posts: 293
    Options
    I make it with milk instead of water and use steel cut oats. That way I don't end up with wall paper paste/glue. I also decided right at the beginning that I would use honey or syrup as a sweetener. Prefer to take the calorie hit at breakfast and cut back a bit later if I have to.

Yeah, the oatmeal that I get is steel cut (although this is the first time I have ever heard of it....not sure what that means). I am trying to get away from milk, as in my opinion that is cheating :laugh: . I am going to be trying out new seasonings and fruit. My preferred calorie intake is heaviest at dinner (allowing me to splurge in meats), moderate at breakfast, and lighest at lunch (usually having a Protein bar for my workouts).