Oatmeal, UGH!

Options

Replies

• AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    You could add some apple butter. Look it up, apple butter, while not actually being butter, is the bomb.
  • mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I just choke it down plain.

Sometimes in the winter my wife makes it in the crockpot... that is good stuff.
  • rmac18
    rmac18 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    My fave is to use Old Fashioned Oatmeal (not that Quick stuff) and then put 1 cup in bowl with a handful of blueberries and a few tsp of Cinnamon, add water to the texture you prefer, stir and then microwave, on my microwave it's 1:55. Stir, add 1/2 cup of skim milk and enjoy. Cooking blueberries in adds sweetness and the cinnamon adds flavor. I eat this most days for breakfast.
  • KatFierce
    KatFierce Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Applesauce! Seriously, it makes it so sweet so easily. Cook your oatmeal, throw some raisins in towards the end of cooking. Then stir in cinnamon and applesauce to taste. SOOOO yummy!
  • AshRyd
    AshRyd Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    i cook up a weeks worth of oatmeal at a time and keep it in the fridge - just the basic. I add all my flavoring in the morning - depending on my mood.

Any way i seem to like any flavor better if i add it after i heat it up - not cooking with the add in flavor. Tried just throwing in the fruit and things after it is cooked - less blending of flavors.

Oddly one day i had two pieces of turkey bacon left in the fridge so i heated it up, chopped it into small pieces and added -- suddenly loved the spark of saltyness! i have also tried with a sausage link. i know - wierd but it worked :smile:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You soft cook an egg so it's still just a little runny, put it on your cooked oatmeal and pierce it so it runs; mix with salt and pepper and some parmesean. It's AWESOME!

mind. blown.

How do you "soft cook" an egg?

Add egg (in shell) to boiling water .... cook 3 minutes.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Raw Honey, Agava, Raisins, Raw Sugar, Nuts, Cranberries, Cinnamon :flowerforyou:

^^This is pretty much what I do, with a couple of variations. Raw honey, a pinch of salt, raisins, craisins, walnuts, cinnamon, a hint of nutmeg, and a hint of ginger. Soooo good. Just don't overdo on the honey because that will add a ton of calories back in and completely defeat the purpose of eliminating the cereal.
  • klawwill77
    klawwill77 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jcstanton
    Options
    Raw Honey, Agava, Raisins, Raw Sugar, Nuts, Cranberries, Cinnamon :flowerforyou:

^^This is pretty much what I do, with a couple of variations. Raw honey, a pinch of salt, raisins, craisins, walnuts, cinnamon, a hint of nutmeg, and a hint of ginger. Soooo good. Just don't overdo on the honey because that will add a ton of calories back in and completely defeat the purpose of eliminating the cereal.

You can also add some diced apples or mashed banana in place of the rasins and craisins.

Oh, and try using skim milk instead of water. It gives the oatmeal a much creamier texture.
  • jcstanton
    Options
    I make it with milk instead of water and use steel cut oats. That way I don't end up with wall paper paste/glue. I also decided right at the beginning that I would use honey or syrup as a sweetener. Prefer to take the calorie hit at breakfast and cut back a bit later if I have to.

Yeah, the oatmeal that I get is steel cut (although this is the first time I have ever heard of it....not sure what that means). I am trying to get away from milk, as in my opinion that is cheating :laugh: . I am going to be trying out new seasonings and fruit. My preferred calorie intake is heaviest at dinner (allowing me to splurge in meats), moderate at breakfast, and lighest at lunch (usually having a Protein bar for my workouts).

A little bit of milk is not cheating. Especially if you use skim milk. Milk has some very good nutritional value.

Steel cut oats are more or less what the grain looks like before it has been rolled out flat. I actually prefer steel cut to old fashioned rolled oats because the rolled stuff tends to get mushy and pasty if you don't eat it fast enough. Steel cut has more of a nutty, chewy texture/taste.
  • SunshineMaye
    Options
    I like my oatmeal with
    Plain yogurt
    Flax seed meal
    Stevia or honey
    Ground cinnamon
    Cranraisins or Raisins
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I make it with milk instead of water and use steel cut oats. That way I don't end up with wall paper paste/glue. I also decided right at the beginning that I would use honey or syrup as a sweetener. Prefer to take the calorie hit at breakfast and cut back a bit later if I have to.

Yeah, the oatmeal that I get is steel cut (although this is the first time I have ever heard of it....not sure what that means). I am trying to get away from milk, as in my opinion that is cheating :laugh: . I am going to be trying out new seasonings and fruit. My preferred calorie intake is heaviest at dinner (allowing me to splurge in meats), moderate at breakfast, and lighest at lunch (usually having a Protein bar for my workouts).

Steel cut oats have been "cut" as opposed to "rolled." Sometimes instant, usually not. These keep a coarse almost chewy texture.

Instant oats are steamed & then rolled really thin

Rolled (old fashioned) are steamed & then rolled (but thicker) .... these retain some texture.
  • jephry
    jephry Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I add Truvia sweetener, cinnamon, 1/8c golden raisins, 1/8c blueberries and 1/8c walnuts to about a cup of cooked oatmeal. It's 320 calories.
  • gmpuggles
    gmpuggles Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I usually eat the Steel Cut Oatmeal for breakfast with a tablespoon of peanut butter and fruit - either a banana, apple, or pear. Sometimes I'll add a teaspoon of sugar and blueberries or peach instead of the peanut butter and banana.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Didn't read this thread, but no bake cookies with peanut butter, oats, cottage cheese, and honey are AMAZING. I made these this weekend, my best batch yet:

Whole Foods - Rolled Oats, 4 Cup (75 g)
    Optimum Nutrition - Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein - Double Rich Chocolate, 4 rounded scoop (30.4g)
    Peanut Butter & Co - Dark Chocolate Dreams Peanut Butter, 10 tbsp.
    Wegman's - Clover Honey, 5 tbsp (I'll prob decrease this next time, this batch was borderline too sweet)
    Kroger - Fat Free Cottage Cheese, 1 cup

Microwave honey and peanut butter to soften. Mix, add cottage cheese, add in oats, protein powder, whatever you want. Press into a casserole dish and refrigerate, cut into bars after an hour so. Alternatively, refrigerate the batter for an hour or so and then roll into balls. Either way, store in the fridge.

Made 20, each one is 150 cal, 5g fat, 10g protein, 18g carbs, 1g fiber (In the past, I've added psyllium husk powder to up fiber. May do that again next time. Also delicious with sunflower seeds, flax, or whatever you want. Textured vegetable protein was also great)

I know it's not oatmeal, technically, but so good! And you can make them and eat them over the next couple weeks. I've experimented a lot with these, and it's always good. When I add too much dry stuff, I use it as granola in yogurt. If it's gooey (the recipe above is kinda gooey), I just eat it as is.
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Teaspoonful (or so) per serving of Instant sugar free pudding mix really sweetens the oatmeal. Add coffee instead of water for moisture combined with chocolate flavor pudding mix. Chocolate protien powder would probably work also. Bananas or PB for other added flavors...
  • lruff1987
    lruff1987 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I LOVE oatmeal. I don't know why, but I do.

My favorites:
    Cinnamon & raisins
    Cinnamon & sliced apple
    Banana (makes it sweet, but doesn't add a ton of flavor)
    Strawberries

and then there's my absolute favorite:
    banana, 1.5T cocoa powder, 1/4t vanilla extract, 1 pkt stevia, 5-10 choc. chips
    (recipe courtesy chocolatecoveredkatie.com, approx 350 calories per serving)

Yes! That last recipe is sooo good!!! And sometimes instead of vanilla extract, I'll use vanilla powder. So good!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    If you like no bake cookies.... peanut butter and a small amount of sugar free hot cocoa mix. Yummmmm. My kids think they have been extra good when they get this treat! Little do they know...
  • questiontheanswers
    questiontheanswers Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    bump - good ideas here.
  • rabbit__food
    rabbit__food Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I like to sprinkle a few chocolate chips in mine :)