Oatmeal, UGH!

Options

Replies

• SNorris01
    SNorris01 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I love refrigerator oatmeal. I use 3/4 Almond milk unsweetened, 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1 scoop chocolate Kroger whey/soy protein powder mix, 1 tbs PB2 Peanut butter. Shake or stir put in fridge over night. Eat cold in the morning, yummy!!!! and filling!!!!
  • pharmmom64
    pharmmom64 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I like adding a tablespoon ful of peanut butter. The added protein also helps you feel full longer.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorite ways to flavor it are

2 tablespoons unsweetened apple sauce and 1 tsp cinnamon

a few pecans broken up and 1 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp vanilla extract and almond slivers

1 tablespoon peanut butter

1 tablespoon alond butter and 1 tsp cinnamon
  • mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    It's a slippery slope for someone like me... If I start looking at food as something to enjoy, rather than something to fuel my day I will eat crap. Thats what happens to me. I know oatmeal is filling and healthy so I eat it plain.

If I add honey, BS, nuts, fruit and pulled pork to it it is now all of a sudden a 300-400 calorie breakfast. I days like today where I burned 1000 calories at the gym, I double up on my elmers glue tasking oatmeal :)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Didn't read this thread, but no bake cookies with peanut butter, oats, cottage cheese, and honey are AMAZING. I made these this weekend, my best batch yet:

Whole Foods - Rolled Oats, 4 Cup (75 g)
    Optimum Nutrition - Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein - Double Rich Chocolate, 4 rounded scoop (30.4g)
    Peanut Butter & Co - Dark Chocolate Dreams Peanut Butter, 10 tbsp.
    Wegman's - Clover Honey, 5 tbsp (I'll prob decrease this next time, this batch was borderline too sweet)
    Kroger - Fat Free Cottage Cheese, 1 cup

Microwave honey and peanut butter to soften. Mix, add cottage cheese, add in oats, protein powder, whatever you want. Press into a casserole dish and refrigerate, cut into bars after an hour so. Alternatively, refrigerate the batter for an hour or so and then roll into balls. Either way, store in the fridge.

Made 20, each one is 150 cal, 5g fat, 10g protein, 18g carbs, 1g fiber (In the past, I've added psyllium husk powder to up fiber. May do that again next time. Also delicious with sunflower seeds, flax, or whatever you want. Textured vegetable protein was also great)

I know it's not oatmeal, technically, but so good! And you can make them and eat them over the next couple weeks. I've experimented a lot with these, and it's always good. When I add too much dry stuff, I use it as granola in yogurt. If it's gooey (the recipe above is kinda gooey), I just eat it as is.

Hello! Going to be making these for sure! Question- the protein powder- is that 30.4 g total for 4 scoops or each scoop is 30g? (I'm guessing each scoop based on my protein but you never know!)
  • EphrataJewles
    Options
    As someone else suggested try the refrigerator oatmeal. I do not really like oatmeal and I really enjoy this. I make the blueberry version with 2 packets of Splenda. Also you do not have to use the mason jars. I have been making mine in the 2 cup round Glad Ware bowls. You have to stir it instead of shaking the jar.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Almond Milk
    Dried Fruit
    Fresh Fruit (berries, banana, apple)
    Nut or Fruit Butters
    Pecans, Walnuts, granola, cashews, etc
    Raisins
    Shredded Coconut
    Nutmeg, Cinnamon, Cloves
    Yogurt
    Maple Syrup
  • m_wilh
    m_wilh Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • dalila747
    dalila747 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I make my oatmeal with milk and add a teaspoon of brown sugar when it's done. The horror.
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal almost every day: Half a cup rolled oats, a table spoon each of ground cinnamon and chia seeds and 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed meal. I add the cinnamon and a tablespoon of coconut oil to the water first and then add the dry ingredients. Five minutes later breakfast is ready. Only 298 calories, but a whopping 18 grams of fiber.
  • Sappy320
    Sappy320 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    For sweetening oatmeal I add raisins, blueberries, cinnamon, or sugar free applesauce.

For a non sweet variation, i spinkle a bit of shredded cheese(2 Tablespoons) and/or turkey sausage on top. It may sound gross, but it's similar to wheat bread with breakfast filling.
  • j_wilson2012
    j_wilson2012 Posts: 293
    Options
    In regards to milk....I want to get away from it....not completely as I can drink a glass or two as a separate drink. With meals, like cereal for instance, I dont get as full. I will have it, but then I will feel hungry about a couple hours later. I dont know if it is enzymes in it that make things digest faster, but I just dont get enough out of it. Milk has natural sugars in it, so yes it will sweeten the oatmeal. But I am trying to learn how to sweeten creatively, like adding spices, and cuttin up fruits and stuff. And I do not have a microwave (by choice) so I do everything on the stove top.
  • shepherdbl
    shepherdbl Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    No matter what else I put in my oatmeal, I ALWAYS add cinnamon BEFORE I cook it.
    Other things add before cooking: Raisins, cranberries, apples
    Things I add after cooking: Splenda, honey, sorghum, peaches, blueberries, chunky peanut butter (this one with some Splenda makes it taste like cookie dough)
    Something I NEVER add to my oatmeal - MILK

I prepare my oatmeal in the microwave - 1/4 cup oatmeal (old fashioned), 1/2 cup water, cinnamon, Cook 3 minutes @ 50% power
  • j_wilson2012
    j_wilson2012 Posts: 293
    Options
    BTW I am LOVING all these posts. I will be taking out pad and pen, and creating an oatmeal recipe book. Yes, I will write down who said it so I can give credit to the good ones! thanks!
  • gobraves47
    gobraves47 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I always add a tiny pinch of salt--it makes everything taste less bland. To my oatmeal I also add vanilla extract, brown sugar/splenda, walnuts or pecans, and plenty of cinnamon. I can't believe how much I like it. I've never really enjoyed it before. :happy:
  • fpadojino
    fpadojino Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i add a tablespoon of justin's chocolate almond butter to my steel cut oats every morning. a serving is two tablespoons but one is usually enough - which is only 3.5 grams of sugar. i take my time scooping just a tiny taste of the almond butter in with each bite. mmmmmmmm.
  • Jamie571
    Jamie571 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I use lots of cinnamon, a dash of ground clove and some ground ginger in my oatmeal. I use 2/3 c of 1% milk. I like the texture better than using water. I have also used ground flax seed in my oatmeal as well as dried cherries. Oatmeal is perfect because you can do just about anything you want with it. I have tried putting protein powder in there but I wasn't a fan....
  • erikapereira
    erikapereira Posts: 196
    Options
    cinnamon & stevia
  • DaSavedSinner
    DaSavedSinner Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Big oatmeal fan Its a Fav for a snack. I use a few things but usually add a small amout of seat salt to bring out the flavor. I have enjoyed vanilla extract, splenda w' cinnamon or a lil sugar-free pancake syrup. You could also warm up some diced fruit (strawberry, apple n cinnamon, blueberry, etc) with a lil splenda to pop the sweetness. Also another thing you could try is agave nectar its has a low glycemic index so is great for diabetics. The main trick I use is extra water! I use plain oatmeal (the big by the scoop kind) but I add double the water and microwave, stir and repeat til it has thickened, if you keep rotating the cook, stir over and over it swells alot and u can make a large amount with the same calories. Also Any baking axtract would work if you are careful on your measuring (otherwise tooo strong of flavor) they make maple, cinnamin, fruits, vannilla, hazelnut, peanut butter, chocolate, and many more! If you pre mixed with some splenda and a lil water you could have it ready to add!

And Of course now I am craving oatmeal...