Over daily calories by lunch time... what to do?

Options
If you are over your calorie intake goal already by lunch time (or earlier), what is the best solution for meals for the rest of the day?
I know it is not good to skip a meal or not eat for a half of a day, so what is the best solution to this problem?

Replies

• hdawg
    hdawg Posts: 28
    Options
    Go home and work out to get more calories that way when you eat a light dinner you won't be over as much.
  • BetterVersion
    Options
    Continue eating the meals you are supposed to eat, but make them as light and as healthy as possible. Try filling up on low-cal veggies, making them your focus instead of your usual "main dish." Snack smartly. Don't give up and throw the rest of your day. There's still plenty of time to redeem yourself for the day, especially if you can squeeze in some extra activity. You may not show a loss tomorrow (if you're a daily weigher) but you can at least prevent a gain.
  • ryanchemist
    Options
    Stick with 200 calories or less every 3 hours (two more times should work). Make sure it is something with Fat, Prot, and Carb and not just Carbohydrates only. Tomorrow Eat with a plan in mind.
  • buggaboo73
    Options
    If it were me I would eat as healthy as possible for the rest of the day and start anew tomorrow. Get your veggies and lean proteins / fibers and just do the best you can.

I do my whole diary in the morning or the night before so I can get all the kinks out before it's too late. Try that for tomorrow so you don't get unpleasantly suprirsed again. Good luck!
  • buggaboo73
    Options
    oh! and yes I would try to fit in some excercise even if just to do my evening chores at a faster pace than usual or putting away an extra load of laundry etc..
  • aprildpettitt
    Options
    I'd for sure get some exercise in, and even if it doesn't make you so that you won't be at or below your target for the day, it will still be better than it would have been. Have a big salad with lots of veggies in it for dinner, just don't drown it in a bad dressing.

Some days I'll go a little over my calorie goal, especially this week, cuz I'm having problems with my ol' ticker and can't exert myself much right now. The past two days I've tried planning/logging everything I'm going to eat by mid-afternoon so I know what I can do, and then if I have something else, I come back and add it. Don't beat yourself up, just pick yourself up and keep on gettin' it! =)
  • cecila
    Options
    Thank you for your suggestions!
    It seems difficult to plan out my meals the morning of or the night before, but I am sure it just takes a little more discipline.

I also heard from a relative who had a friend that switched around her meals, having her largest meal in the morning, a regular lunch and a light dinner (i.e. a bowl of cereal or something). She lost 20+ lbs. Has anyone heard of this before or tried it??
  • kingnatalie
    Options
    Yes, you should try to have your largest meal first (breakfast), then lighter smaller meals the rest of the day. This will energize you throughout the day, you shouldn't be as hungry, and you have a chance to burn of most of the calories eaten during the day. It is a little scary eating a larger meal first, but it does work.
  • pbenison
    pbenison Posts: 102
    Options
    I also have been pre-planning my meals. You can check on all the important stuff like calories, carbs and sodium (don't forget to check that sodium :) ahad of time to "fix" any problem before you eat. I have also been eating oatmeal in the morning. Quaker plain from canister, not instant (instant has 180 grams of sodium, where canister has 0). Cooked in microwave with water and two packets of sugar substitute. In addition a serving 2% milk with the meal can be used in the oatmeal and as a beverage. It fills me up, and oatmeal is considered a food that helps to burn fat.

Use a pedometer to count your steps. Look into the 10,000 step challenge. By adding more steps to the rest of your day will also burn those extra calories.

Good luck!
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Have a salad with some lean meat your okay :)
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I know your not supposta eat the same things but i usually have egg beaters omlet with veg and cheese , turkey bacon in mirowave and some type of carb like a waffle or toast.
  • tinasuzanne
    Options
    EXERCISE!
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    It seems difficult to plan out my meals the morning of or the night before, but I am sure it just takes a little more discipline.

Do you and plan out your meals for the whole day or are you just eating a meal and then logging it? IMO, it is much easier to stick with calorie counting if you plan in advance. I usually plan my meals at least a day ahead and then adjust my food log if something changes. Yes, it takes time and discipline in the beginning, but it is worth it and eventually it will just be another healthy habit you've started.
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    All good advice. Burn some more calories and eat very light but nutritious. Think... egg white omelet loaded with veggies (no cheese) or wasa light rye crackers (all natural and only 30 calories a piece) with 1 Tbl natural peanut/almond butter or a good soup or salad!
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    If you are over your calorie intake goal already by lunch time (or earlier), what is the best solution for meals for the rest of the day?
    I know it is not good to skip a meal or not eat for a half of a day, so what is the best solution to this problem?

That's exactly why I always recommend logging all your foods ahead of time, when I welcome the newbies. :wink:
    I sometimes log as much as 4 and 5 days ahead. :smile: I love having total control of my foods, and not the other way around. :bigsmile: I know exactly what my numbers are, and if I'm going to be over, to get in some exercise to up my numbers. :smile:
  • garyt
    garyt Posts: 11
    Options
    Go to bed now? :smile: Kidding, I am new to this and I wish you well in your pursuit.
  • kendallalissa
    Options
    Workout. Plus, I always log everything for that day right when I get to work in the morning just to hold myself accountable.
  • tayner
    tayner Posts: 372
    Options
    have a salad with low cal dressing for dinner, and get moving!