Weight Training - HELP

Options
I am a 57 year old and been hitting the gym since Jan. I do lots of cardio and work out as hard as I can on the weight machines. I don't do free weights....all hogged up by the big ol guys. I am happy with the machines. I had been doing 3 sets of 8 reps and steadily getting stronger and increasing my weights. I am NOT afraid to build muscle!

I used a personal trainer for a few sessions. He lowered my weights substantially and increased my reps to 3 sets of 15. HAD to lower the weight to do 15 reps. I don't know if I like this.

Ok...what do YOU think? higher weights with 10-12 reps or lower weights for 15 reps?

I get plenty of cardio so I am not using the weight machines for that even though my heart rate soars! I want to build muscle to burn more fat! I have lost 33 and have 55-60 more to go.

Replies

• mrmv
    mrmv Posts: 95
    Options
    lower weights, keep form, do more reps, build weight slowly so you do not injure yourself. I am 54, same thing. do not be discouraged about the amount
  • CLCinNOLA
    CLCinNOLA Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    At age 64 I am doing 2 sets of 10 reps on each weight machine and increasing the weights when it starts to seem easier. I think you should read about it as much as you can online, and then do what makes sense to you. Some trainers are better than others IMO.