Nutella?

Options

Replies

• iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a banana with 2 tablespoons of nutella every day for breakfast years ago, and nothing bad ever came of it. If your calorie budget can accomodate it, eat it. I could never give up the things I love to eat for the sake of losing weight, because that's not what a lifestyle change is about. ;) You can eat unhealthy things and still be healthy - ask the Olympic athletes that have dinner at McDonalds, I'm sure they'll agree lol

Love and Alohas,
    Ihilani Kapuniai

Edit: You can STILL eat unhealthy things OCCASIONALLY and still be healthy* - not saying all the time. For those that wanted to point that out. lol

Yeah but those olympic athletes eat 6000-12000 calories a day and consume junk food out of necessity when healthy food just isnt calorie dense enough. I understand your point, though.

There are a LOT of other foods out there that are healthy and calorie dense that they could consume to meet their caloric needs. I highly doubt their fast food consumption is primarily out of necessity. It isn't hard to reach 6000-12000 calories worth of healthy foods - believe me, I've done it PLENTY of times. I understand your point though.
  • sweetteacher123
    Options
    It's not bad for you, but it is very high in calories, so use sparingly. However, so worth the calories because Nutella is a bit of heaven in a jar!!!
  • DominiqueSmall
    DominiqueSmall Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I like to put a tablespoon of nutella on my toast sometimes and top it off with a sliced strawberry, but recently someone told me that nutella was really bad for me and I shouldnt eat it. Is this true? I actually dont think I have the willpower to give up this magical part of my life so PLEASE tell me I dont have to :(
    [/quote

I don't think it is bad in moderation, especially if the rest of your diet is clean/good.
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I am soooo glad I don't like nutella.

funny-Nutella-trap-white-person.jpg
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I wouldn't call nutella healthy. Lots of sugar, minimal protein. But I don't see why you have to give it up if you're having success and it fits into your daily goals. On whole wheat bread and with the added strawberries I don't see the problem.
  • sharoniballoni
    sharoniballoni Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    No, it's not healthy. But no, don't give it up if it gives you a bit of joy. One tablespoon? Big deal! Eat it on a healthy sprouted grain piece of toast (like Ezekiel) and just budget for it within your calorie intake. You don't have to give up all the little pleasures in life during weight loss. You'll drive yourself crazy. Moderation, not deprivation.
  • DominiqueSmall
    DominiqueSmall Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Don't think of "certain foods" being bad for you. Think of their components as being bad for you.

Things that are in nutella I would not eat:
    - lots of sugar
    - hydrogenated oils

Because it is a nut butter it is also high calorie. So nutella specifically won't ruin your diet, but you should treat it like a dessert or energy to go do cardio because it's so sugary. If you love nutella then find a way to make room for it in your diet. For example, if I want some nutella on toast (I don't eat bread but bear with me) then I will adjust my lunch and/or dinner to have less carbs and sugar to make room for it.

^^^ Excellent point!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Don't think of "certain foods" being bad for you. Think of their components as being bad for you.

Things that are in nutella I would not eat:
    - lots of sugar
    - hydrogenated oils

Because it is a nut butter it is also high calorie. So nutella specifically won't ruin your diet, but you should treat it like a dessert or energy to go do cardio because it's so sugary. If you love nutella then find a way to make room for it in your diet. For example, if I want some nutella on toast (I don't eat bread but bepar with me) then I will adjust my lunch and/or dinner to have less carbs and sugar to make room for it.
    Nutella does not have hydrogenated oil.

Really? Might be a regional difference then. The back of my boyfriend's jar has hydrogenated palm oil listed as the 2nd or 3rd ingredient, but when I lived in Canada I think it was 'modified'.
    I don't know why it would be different. The website does not list that as an ingredient, nor does the jar in my kitchen.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    IIFYM!
    photo11.jpg
  • redbird99
    redbird99 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    You could try Peanut Butter & Co's Dark Chocolate Dreams.

Ingredients: peanuts, evaporated cane juice, cocoa, cocoa butter, palm fruit oil, vanilla, lecithin (from sunflowers), salt. No hydrogenated oil and no high fuctose corn syrup.

Nutrition facts: 2 tbsp (32g), 170 cal, total fat 13 g, sat. fat 2.5g, trans fat 0g, cholest 0mg, sodium 35mg, total carb 12g, dietary fiber 2g, sugars 7g, and protein 6g

They also make White Chocolate Wonderful.

Ingredients: peanuts, evaporated cane juice, vanilla, cocoa butter, palm fruit oil, lecithin (from sunflowers), salt. No hydrogenated oil and no high fuctose corn syrup.

Nutrition facts: 2 tbsp (32g), 180 cal, total fat 14 g, sat. fat 3g, trans fat 0g, cholest 0mg, sodium 35mg, total carb 11g, dietary fiber 1g, sugars 7g, and protein 6g

Both are delicious.
  • fitnotfluffy
    fitnotfluffy Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    It's all about moderation! Would I eat it everyday? No. Should you eat it everyday? Probably not, but that's your choice. Don't deprive yourself of things you love! This is a lifestyle change, not a diet. You don't have to restrict yourself from every single thing that isn't healthy. Know your limits, and treat yourself every now and again. Like I said before, moderation is key. :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    This is a heartbreaker. A nutritionist told me to eat more "nut butters" for protein and good fats, so without reading the label (my bad), I started to use some Nutella, thinking it was just kind of like peanut butter, but hazelnuts. Now what am I going to do with a 3/4 full jar??

Use it to make nutella based desserts and give it away! Nutella was actually sued at one point because of all the marketing they do promoting it a healthy food (especially for 'active growing kids') when it's just nasty *kitten* modified palm oil and sugar. I feel ya.
    There is not a single ad stating that Nutella is healthy. Pay close attention to the ads. The women who sued and whatever jury gave them a win were idiots. It was clever marketing, but not one untrue statement in it.
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    This is a heartbreaker. A nutritionist told me to eat more "nut butters" for protein and good fats, so without reading the label (my bad), I started to use some Nutella, thinking it was just kind of like peanut butter, but hazelnuts. Now what am I going to do with a 3/4 full jar??

Use it to make nutella based desserts and give it away! Nutella was actually sued at one point because of all the marketing they do promoting it a healthy food (especially for 'active growing kids') when it's just nasty *kitten* modified palm oil and sugar. I feel ya.
    There is not a single ad stating that Nutella is healthy. Pay close attention to the ads. The women who sued and whatever jury gave them a win were idiots. It was clever marketing, but not one untrue statement in it.

They don't market it as being "healthy" explicitly but they do market it as part of a balanced breakfast full of goodness and energy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpNLUFA34iw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThIrw_LpuRA

I'm not saying they lied or falsified. Chillaxxx. Or that the suing was justified, I just used it to make an example of how other people were given the false impression nutella was healthy too, due to the way is it marketed and sold. You don't have to lie for an ad to be misleading.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Just because you bought it doesn't mean you have to eat it. Throw it out if you don't want it. Otherwise use it as an occasional treat.
  • hippietofugirl
    Options

Ingredients: peanuts, evaporated cane juice, cocoa, cocoa butter, palm fruit oil, vanilla, lecithin (from sunflowers), salt. No hydrogenated oil and no high fuctose corn syrup.

Nutrition facts: 2 tbsp (32g), 170 cal, total fat 13 g, sat. fat 2.5g, trans fat 0g, cholest 0mg, sodium 35mg, total carb 12g, dietary fiber 2g, sugars 7g, and protein 6g

Ingredients: peanuts, evaporated cane juice, vanilla, cocoa butter, palm fruit oil, lecithin (from sunflowers), salt. No hydrogenated oil and no high fuctose corn syrup.

Nutrition facts: 2 tbsp (32g), 180 cal, total fat 14 g, sat. fat 3g, trans fat 0g, cholest 0mg, sodium 35mg, total carb 11g, dietary fiber 1g, sugars 7g, and protein 6g

Both are delicious.

^^^THIS. I LOOOOVVEE dark chocolate dreams. ughhh *droool*
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I had it today for the first time in awhile.

I think it's fine every once and awhile, and it helps add on calories if you have a bunch of extra ones on those days you are just not hungry.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    unhealthy for me, but if i was calorie counting, as long as it fit, i'd eat it.

processed or not, it is tasty as hell.
  • amore78
    amore78 Posts: 175
    Options
    ohhhhhhhhh i love nutella!!! i dont buy it, because i eat it all:laugh: soo is bad? i dont know. i know is to much calories, 2 teaspoon is 200 calories!! so.......... i still love nutella.
  • Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt
    Options

Both are delicious.

^^^THIS. I LOOOOVVEE dark chocolate dreams. ughhh *droool*

I've never heard of this alternate chocolate PB before, but now I've GOT to find it somewhere, because frankly I freaking adore Nutella. And no, I don't have it all the time....but boy, does it taste worth the extra cycling when I do.