Does anyone workout twice in one day?

Options
Is it recommended? Any feedback?

Im considering joining the Y in the fall, and I decided even though I'm not a morning person, I really like doing my own thing alone in the mornings. Come the winter time I wont be walking outside any longer so I think I may join a gym.

Thing is, I'll want to take the kids to some evening classes as well after work, so while I'm there I may want to fit something in at night l ... (you know, since I'm there anyways)

Is this overkill? I'd only do it as long as I enjoy it over course, I dont want to go all full speed ahead and then burn out or not enjoy it any longer...

Replies

• staceyb2003
    staceyb2003 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it is overkill but I do it. I don't lift more than once a day but I will do cardio sometimes 3 different times in the day.
  • LaNena01
    LaNena01 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I do.... I even workout 3 times a day.. I do Brazil Butt Lift and Insanity in the morning and P90x in the evening and sometimes zumba in the afternoon when my kids are a sleep.. I think it might be overkill as well, but I dont feel tired!
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    My husband has always done twice a day...it's easier for him to do twice than 1 longer workout.

I prefer 1 workout, whatever the length. However, I am currently working out twice but only for 2 weeks....I am building up my time for a 3k race on the 11th and completing my normal video workout routine...once the race is over, I will go back to the workout routine only.
  • teletubbie87
    teletubbie87 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've done cardio exercises more than once a day... Like sometimes I'll go biking in the morning, then skateboard to school, or go running after work. Etc... maybe running morning and zumba at night... That's always nice =) ... Just Don't do it too often because if you get your body used to it, and then stop, you will end up losing muscle =(
  • ajanmillie
    ajanmillie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    yep. in the morning and evening time.
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I do at least three or four times a week. AM and PM. It just makes me feel better.
  • Rocking_Robin
    Rocking_Robin Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I dont know if it is too much either, I do a morning and evening workout about 2-3 times a week...I am trying to get off a yo-yoing plateau... I say if you are enjoying it, then it is all good!
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I did three today! Got up and walked the dogs, did a body pump class at the Y then 30DS tonight...

If you're fueling your body, if you like what you're doing then there's no reason you can't do more than 1 exercise a day
  • ourwickedlies
    ourwickedlies Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I break up my exercise to keep active throughout the day. I'd rather have 2-3 30 minute workouts rather than one long workout.
  • ladyhaelstorm
    Options
    I workout twice a day and it is fine for me, I do strength in the morning and cardio later. I alternate my strength every other day (i.e. Upper body Monday, Lower body Tues...) because you should give one day's rest after working a muscle before training it again.

Gym's are great during winter because you can always walk on the treadmills or use an elliptical. To prevent burnout, I try and mix up my exercise by incorporating something fun like volleyball or basketball, both are good cardio. Basketball is easy to do alone also if you don't have a partner to play with.

Good luck and congratulations on your weight loss! Keep up the good work :)
  • Dottiesweet
    Dottiesweet Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am training for a half-marathon so I run in the morning. In the evening, I take my son to the Y for swimming, karate, etc. While he's in class I go to Zumba or workout in the gym. I love it and it works out great. It's a wonderful end of the day stress reliever.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem with working out more than once a day. (this week's a light workout week for me) but normally at least a few times a week I'll do morning and evening or super early morning and after noon or w/e I feel like doing really... some days I burn a lot other days(or t.o.m.) not so much..
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I do cardio more than once a day sometimes. Just because I like to do it - bike ride, kayak, play tennis, take the dog on a long walk. If it wasn't for the fact that I log it in mfp I wouldn't really think anything of it. It's just being active.
  • cdprouty
    cdprouty Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I see better results when I work out twice a day. My current schedule involves 12 workouts a week. It is a large time commitment but the outcome is worth it. The routine is a blend of running, Insanity, and Tony Horton One on One.

Sunday - Long run
    Monday - AM - Short, fast (8 minute mile) run 3 - 4 miles / PM - Tony Horton One on One Thirty / Fifteen workout.
    Tuesday AM - Short, fast run (2 - 3 miles) / PM - Plyometric Cardio Circuit
    Wednesday AM - Long run / PM - Tony Horton One on One Just Arms
    Thursday AM - Short fast run / PM - Cardio Power and Resistance
    Friday AM - Insanity Pure Cardio / PM - Tony Horton One on One Diamond Delts
    Saturday - Shaun T's Sports Training followed by a 3 mile slow run

I always welcome friends with similar motivation.

Chris
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Generally I don't. I don't think I need to, and I don't want to shower that often lol.

This Thursday, I am doing Insanity in the morning and running a 5k in the evening. That's an exception though.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    It is more likely that you are undereating than overtraining if you start to feel lethargic and lacking energy.
  • mandamama
    mandamama Posts: 250
    Options
    OHHH I wonder this as well!!! There are definitely days when I feel like I could go to the gym in the evening to knock out some cardio, burn some stress but I had already been in the morning!
  • Karrie262
    Karrie262 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Not at all, as long as you do it in moderation. If you are doing an hour of cardio in the morning and another two at night, you'd be over doing it. Sometimes, it is recommended to do two workouts in one day...just to shake things up.
  • BoatReadyBody
    Options
    I swear I try to find a wya to make everything a workout. But Def strength in the morning and cardio before dinner.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I do, generally 4-6 days a week. My schedule is P90X 7x, running 3x, and biking 3x.