Soliciting Shoe Suggestions

Options
I have looked online for about two hours today trying to find the top 10 shoes suitable for aerobic and/or circuit training (like 30 Day Shred) and have not come up with any "hard evidence" or good suggestion.

So MFP'ers - what is your favorite work out shoe (excluding the new "butt enhancer" shoes that are being advertised)?

Replies

• shannonnolte
    shannonnolte Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My favorite shoe so far is a brand called Mizuno. Very flexible for running but also has a lot of support. I've tried them all and love this brand the best!
  • phitme
    phitme Posts: 124
    Options
    Will you only be doing aerobics and what not in them or do you need something that can do multiple things well?

If you will only be doing aerobics (step or whatever), the Ryka is your best bet. It is a littler known brand but they make shoes specifically for women and for years specialized in the aerobic shoe exclusively. They have the stability need for the crazy moves in aerobics.

You can also use a cheer leading shoe for aerobics as they are built with many of the same properties that an aerobics shoe is. Asics makes a great all white one that is dang comfy and sturdy too.

If you need a shoe that can do multiple things, then a cross trainer is your best bet. But, make sure you go for one that has a mesh upper (what goes over your foot) vs a leather one. An all leather shoe can't breathe well so your feet get hot. They will also be heavier.

Personally I wear a running shoe for everything that I do because I like the cushioning that a running shoe offers. I only walk/run on a treadmill & weight train. Running shoes are not great for aerobics as the tread can and will catch on the floor or carpet during many lateral moves.

Brand will depend on your foot. Not every shoes fits each of us in the same way. Some basic guidelines:

Nike runs narrow from toe to heel.
    Asics, Adidas, Reebok, Saucony & New Balance will all run wider in the toe box and narrower at the heel.

New Balance is available in all kinds of widths (others are too these days).

Go to a store and try on a ton of shoes. Get what feels good NOW. A good shoe, that truly fits your foot, will not need to be "broken in". Wear them inside a few times so that if you need to return or exchange them, you can. Once they are worn outside, most retailers won't take them back.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, I'll be happy to try and help.