Not enjoying water

Options
Not sure if this belong here or not, if not please let me know so I can place it in the correct forum :). So water to me is blah and even if I put in flavor (mio, crystal light, Hawaiian fruit punch, etc) of single serving packets I just can't get into the habit of drinking water. Any advice on how to incorporate more water into my diet?? It's like I'm forcing myself to drink water and I don't want to force myself to do anything, I want this weight loss to be enjoyable. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• wrensong27
    wrensong27 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    For me, I make sure it is REALLY cold. That seems to help. I dodn't like it much at first but these days it is about al I am drinking (besides my morning coffee). Yesterday for the first time, I ordered water when I went out to eat instead of Pepsi....It wasn't easy
  • weefreemen
    weefreemen Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I think it's definitely a learned behaviour, saying that I always slice fresh fruit (either watermelon or grapefruit) into my big jug of water every morning, then it tastes more like the fruit and less like water and doesn't leave that icky taste from things like Crystal Light.

You'll get used to it and your body will certainly enjoy it and then start demanding it!

Stick with it...
  • biodyno
    biodyno Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Maybe try using a straw to start out with or add slices of lemon or lime in the glass. You don't taste it quite as much. When I first started incorporating more water, I found filtered water to help tremendously - not bottled water, but filtered (like a Pur or Britta filter). My office has a filtered water cooler from Culligan and that helped too.

I've heard that slices of cucumber are supposed to be good, but I'm a little afraid to try it. Like wrensong27, water is pretty much all I drink now outside of morning coffee. The more I exercise, the more I crave it now. Keep after it, you'll get there!
  • missmigraine
    Options
    I agree with all the others - good ideas. My suggestions - keep a jug in the fridge - I like it COLD.
    Also, there are tons of awesome fruit teas and other teas around that you can make and keep in the fridge. I love iced tea - I mix up and change the flavours a lot. Sometimes with a few lemon slices - sometimes fruit tea, whatever you like.

The other point I'll make that I find the more water I drink, the more I want to drink it. Try for a few sips every time you go into the kitchen or sit down at your desk - whatever works for you. Don't feel like you have to down a jug at a time.
  • SEishen
    SEishen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Start with something that you can have with you and ready at all times. I have two of these Thermoses. I drink green tea and diluted iced tea all day long, plus the cold water I drink first thing in the morning.
    http://www.thermos.com/products/vacuum-insulated-purple-flower-hydration-bottle.aspx

This thing keeps hot hot and cold COLD!
  • Its_Nat
    Its_Nat Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I was the same, never drank water. But I bought a one litre 'bobble' bottle, that filters the water as you drink it. I keep that with me every day and make sure that by the end of the day that I have finished that bottle at least once, if not more. I won't allow myself any other drink, except milk in my coffee. It was hard, but between the still water from the bobble, and fizzy mineral water (which I use as my treat when I don't WANT water) I've learnt to be ok with it.
  • SierraSwearingen
    Options
    Add bubbles! King Soopers/Kroger has 0.89 cent 2-liter bottles of flavored, carbonated water, which has that nice refreshing finish that soda has, without the calories.
  • kellygirl324
    kellygirl324 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Try adding lemon or True Lemon and some Splenda. Its delightful. Even as a child I had a difficult time with water. Im not a soda drinker, but I always chose tea. Now I am tea free and have learned to take advantage of drinking water around my workouts. I make sure it is ice cold!!!
  • dmcw19
    dmcw19 Posts: 129
    Options
    I love flavored seltzer for my water, not the ones with artificial sweeteners. My kids have even learned to like it, they prefer it to juice now. Even though it is carbonated, I feel less bloated from it. It seems weird to jump around exercising and then drink something bubbly, but I have never felt bad from it.
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Start with something that you can have with you and ready at all times. I have two of these Thermoses. I drink green tea and diluted iced tea all day long, plus the cold water I drink first thing in the morning.
    http://www.thermos.com/products/vacuum-insulated-purple-flower-hydration-bottle.aspx

This thing keeps hot hot and cold COLD!

I second this.

I am *horrible* at drinking enough liquids. i just don't like gulping water. But, I've found that if I keep a water bottle within reach, I'll sip at it just because its there, and within a couple hours its empty.

There are many powdered flavorings for water that you could try as well. They're usually 10 calories per packet. If you don't like the packets for whatever reason, you can also try flavored teas. Celestial Seasonings makes *really* good fruit flavored teas. My favorite is the country peach passion flavor, but they have a box that has a lot of different flavors
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    my sis in law haaaaates water but the only way she'll drink loads of it is with slices of cucumber and strawberry in it. also try oranges or lemon in there too. so delicious. good luck!
  • shierrarobin
    Options
    I totally understand this because I was the same way. I had to ween myself very slowly off of other drinks and onto water. I started by cutting myself off from soda completely by not buying it and not letting my fiance buy it. That was what ultimately did it for me. I didn't give myself the option of drinking anything besides water, milk and apple juice. And when I started working out, I found out that apple juice and milk don't do much for you when you're sweating up a storm, so I started drinking water of my own accord.

I don't know if this way would work for you, but try it if other methods don't work.
  • toddmshaw
    Options
    Try sparkling water, like Pellegrino or Perrier. Perhaps you will find the texture and fizz more enjoyable, and it is just as healthy as regular water.
  • frhenderson
    frhenderson Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I made one of my first weight loss rewards a soda stream water carbonator. You can get soda syrups and make your own soda, but I really like plain sparkling water. My new favorite is to add lemon juice to the sparkling water. It didn't take long for me to not miss the sugary drinks.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking decent water? I used to live on the California Coast and the tap water tasted HORRIBLE. When I moved to Washington I tasted what good water was supposed to be like.
  • TXtstorm
    TXtstorm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Here's a weird thing for you to think about... several folks here have mentioned liking their water very cold and planning to be sure that they will always have cold water available. I can't bring myself to drink much water at all if it's cold.

When I was pregnant with my first child I was struggling to learn to drink water... trying to force it down. I tried some of the ideas mentioned... flavoring the water, adding lemon or lime slices, drinking from a straw, drinking from a water bottle, drinking from an open cup. I iced it up because I've always preferred my soda, tea, Kool-aid, and almost everything else well iced and cold. Well not water. Once I figured out that room temp water suits me much better, it went much easier. Over a decade later I now drink mostly water, either bottled or just filtered tap water, with some iced tea or an occasional diet soda (Diet Rite, pref Cherry Cola).

Try a variety of types of containers, flavoring agents at various strengths, temperatures, water sources and any other variable you can think of to see if there's a happy solution for you too!

Good luck!
  • matroma
    matroma Posts: 24
    Options
    I hear ya. I could go all day with just drinking 2 cups of morning coffee and that's it-can even eat meals without a drink. I live in a hot, dry climate and have gotten myself dehydrated, but I just do not have that desire to drink water. I don't hate it, I just don't reach for it. For the new dietary changes I am making, I drink one room temp bottle in the A.M.-just knock it back. I just can't do the cold water thing. At work I force a bottle down with lunch-if I don't my coworkers nag until I do it-then with dinner, I drink 2 bottles, then a bottle around 7pm. This helps me feel full, and I am getting to the point where I am not only getting used to it, I kind of know when its time to drink one. I am making the changes first, then letting my mind and body catch up to the idea. I used to live on Hawaiian Punch Sugar Free flavors, but I am trying to kick some of the artificial stuff as well.
  • rdonald57
    rdonald57 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i really dont enjoy water either, but i am with SierraSwearin. i buy that kind of water at HEB. I spilled the water all over me and thought it would dry all sticky like a diet Coke and it dried up just like water, no sticky. That water got me off diet Cokes. Not because it dries like water but because they taste good. Better than sodas.
  • HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Try these. They max water taste soooo good, at least for me. I used to have the same problem as you did, and drank a lot of diet soda. Now I'm off the diet soda and drink a gallon or so of water a day.

http://www.amazon.com/Brita-35530-Ultramax-Dispenser/dp/B00009LHZH/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1343793023&sr=8-10&keywords=brita+water+filter

http://www.amazon.com/Brita-Bottle-with-Filter-Blue/dp/B004GN8RDY/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1343793023&sr=8-14&keywords=brita+water+filter

You'll have to replace the filters for these within two to three months (they are about seven bucks for a filter) but otherwise very cheap for good, filtered water.
  • Lovestoscrapbook
    Lovestoscrapbook Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have found that when I'm drinking water consistently, my weight loss goes much smoother. Try Ocean Spray's new Cran-Grape drink mixes. It tastes just like the juice (swear!) but only 10 calories. Yum!

And yes, as other posters have said, fruit slices, flavor mixes and very COLD water will help.