Favorite Stephen King movie/book?

Options
Laura_Suzie
Laura_Suzie Posts: 1,288 Member
For movies, I enjoyed Carrie and The Shining. And of course, Shawshank Redemption, a classic. IT and Pet Sematary are both kind of cheesy, but still really, really creepy and entertaining. I've haven't read all of his books that the movies were based on, only a couple, but I did enjoy the book of The Shining.

What's your favorite Stephen King book or movie? Is there any Stephen King story that you enjoyed more as a movie than as a book or vice versa?

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Pet Cemetery.
  • legs_n_bacon
    legs_n_bacon Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Shawshank Redemption.
  • ellisrobertson
    Options
    Single book: Insomnia.

But I absolutely love the Dark Tower series. "The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed." One of the best lines ever.
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    Under The Dome or The Stand
  • Injurymachine
    Options
    I love Herman Munster in Pet Cemetery...sometimes dead is bettuh.

Miniseries of The Stand was great

The Mist as a movie was creepy as hell and the ending was much more demented than the book's.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I liked the mini series they made of The Stand and also really liked the book. But I think his best work is one of his latest, 11/22/63...not quite horror, but really interesting.
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    :heart: Rose Madder:heart:
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    "Firestarter" is probably my favorite book of his. "It" would be a close second; I loved how he sprinkled in pieces of other books throughout.
  • neurochamp
    neurochamp Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    For books, can I list the entire Dark Tower series? :bigsmile:
    If I had to pick a single book, though, then I'd go with The Stand (the TV miniseries is also pretty good...but the book is stellar).

I actually haven't seen many Stephen King movies, but of the ones I have seen I think I like Stand By Me the best.
  • KStambulic
    KStambulic Posts: 131
    Options
    Stephen King's books are all better than the movies made of them but I'd have to say that my favorite movies were The Green Mile and Misery. I don't really have a favorite book; I love them all. (own most of them too, including the Richard Bachman ones.)
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    movie: Pet Sematary
    book: It or Cujo

Gerald's Game was good too
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    Options
    book: Dark Tower series, Rose Madder, and The Stand (terrible moini series though), Misery, it's hard to pick. i like everything of his

movies: The Shining, Shawshank Redemption, Needful Things (love the line."I just killed my wife. Is that wrong?....These things happen!")
  • neurochamp
    neurochamp Posts: 261 Member
    Options

The Mist as a movie was creepy as hell and the ending was much more demented than the book's.

OMG I so agree! That movie gives me the jibblies.
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Shawshank Redemption. I also really loved The Shining.

I liked The Langoliers, too, but the movie sucked.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Shawshank Redemption.
    That's not a book. That's a movie.

My answer to the OP: Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption.
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Probably "The Shining". That book has the best character development I've ever seen from Mr. King.
    Of course, "IT" had lots of storyline, and it was pretty amazing as well.
  • WickedBean
    WickedBean Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Movies/TV: Christine, Pet Cemetery, Carrie, Children of the corn, Cat's Eye, Sleepwalkers, Dolores Claiborne, Rose Red, Kingdom Hospital, Haven

books: all of them but IT. I am terrified of clowns so I cannot even pick the book up.
  • Bdh2775
    Bdh2775 Posts: 14
    Options
    book..the running man.
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Favorite Stephen King book, if I MUST choose a favorite, as I love them all, would have to be the Dark Tower series.
    Favorite movie of his: Shawshank Redemption, because they didn't foul it up like they did most of his others. Dreamcatcher is a close second place, in my mind, because they followed the storyline very well.

Did you know that the Dark Tower series is going to be turned into a movie/TV epic saga? The preliminary plan is for 3 movies and one or two miniseries, to make it all come together. The last I heard, Ron Howard was in on the project. http://www.darktowermovies.com/
  • RyLaneB
    RyLaneB Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It and Stand by Me are my favorites!