Help - I'm a newby

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm quite new to MFP as I only joined a couple of days a go. I am currently 166 pounds and aim to lose about 30 pounds. I'm 25 this year and realised I don't want to spend the other half of my 20s being worried about what I look like.

I know you shouldn't weigh yourself all the time and that once a week is enough but after eating a lot more healthy and exercising over the last few days I got intrigued and weighed myself this morning - according to my scales I have put 4 pounds on in 2 days!!!! Can someone explain why or help me out on this as I'm struggling to understand the logic of that

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks xx

Replies

• elinakalna
    Options
    Just yesterday I was reading vast amaunt of information about this. I lso started to exercise recently and put some 3 pounds on.

Basically as you start to exercise your muscle develops little tears that causes inflamation and therefore water retention. Also you have to make sure you drink enough. And as muscles start to develop, you have to remember that muscles are more dense than fat tissue, therefore you might get slimmer and at the same time heavier.

Most posts had advice - cary on and drink a lot of water!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Actually, there are some people who say that you should only weight once a month if you are female. :) I personally weigh every day because I get a kick out of watching the fluctuations.

So, here's what you need to know about weight fluctuations:
    Your weight will fluctuate; it will not follow a steady path downwards. All sorts of things can cause a sudden spike in weight. Starting a new exercise routine will cause your body to hold onto water, increasing weight. The same for eating more sodium than usual. Menstruation as well. Your weight will also be higher at the end of the day, after drinking a glass of water, and when it is soon time for you to poop.

In the words of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, DO NOT PANIC!
  • Alicemarieed
    Alicemarieed Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hi welcome.i have been on here 6 days. I weigh myself everyday just to encourage my self.
    Your body fluctuates daily so you will put weight on one day then lose the next. I have joined the weeky Sunday weight in. Only putting my weight on here once a week so that I can see the difference. Don't be disheartened if you put weight on one day .you will see the difference few days later. Why don't you join the weekly Sunday weigh in group also. I have joined the August challenge to lose 5lb by end of August. Feel free to add my as a friend .keep at it and you will see results :-)
  • DavidJTWhite
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat; so if you put on muscle you might weigh a little more at the beginning until things level out.
    Hang in there.
  • virgocoley
    virgocoley Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    WOW thank you for all the posts people - they have made me feel a lot better - I will keep at it and just doing what I am doing.

Thanks everyone xxx