That layer of belly fat!

Options
Ok, so, I'm good with my current weight, but I still have belly fat. Do I continue cardio or strength training. I'm doing a bit of both (just started strength training) but not sure if this is right. Also, how do I manage calories?

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    To maintain overall health and fitness you want to maintain cardio and lifting.

For burning through that last bit of belly fat, lifting is likely going to be your best friend. What kind of strength programme are you following?
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    We have to be at a calorie deficit while continue with strength training to lose fat. Cardio is also important for your heart & lungs but it isn't necessary in your case if you want to lose fat unless you are in a very small deficit & need to create a bigger one.

Also that can attribute to genetics. Some people store most of their fat on the belly (apple) while others in the hips, thighs & butt (pear) which means that it is where the last thing that will lose fat. So if you're an apple, don't despair. All it takes is a little more patience & soon you will see a flat stomach.
  • LiveEnjoyEndure
    LiveEnjoyEndure Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    stuggling with the same thing... I know I need to do core exercises, but I hate them!
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Define "have belly fat." Even fitness models and body builders have belly fat. They just happen to go on an extremely low carb diet to get the six-pack to show for photo shoots and competitions. And then they go back to having belly fat, just like us regular mortals.
  • pamtram
    pamtram Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this as well. I just tried to look at it as my diploma for having a beautiful daughter.

If you find the secret let me know
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    My problem too. All my fat seems to be on my belly. My arms and legs are very thin. i think i look like an apple with cocktail sticks stuck in it.
  • Moniqua1
    Moniqua1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I'm a pear shape, btw.
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Typically the area that collects weight first is the last to go, I also had this problem but as the above posts state keep up the cardio and strength training and it will go.
  • bubsyh
    bubsyh Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    reverse crunches are good for abs. They make me cry when I do them. I hate them but they seem to work.
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I've just started the 30 day shred, hoping to get in better shape in general, but my belly is my true target area. I need to reduce my body fat %. Once I get over the initial soreness, I'm going to add in additional ab exercises because I don't think there's enough of it in her program, at least in level 1. I like to do reverse crunches combined with leg raises. You can feel it everywhere in your core. Lay on your back, arms by your sides. Start with your legs about and inch off the ground. Raise your legs straight up in the air, then use your abs to lift your butt/lower back up. Just make sure not to use the momentum from raising your legs to propel your butt off the ground, you need to keep your abs engaged.

Once I finish this program (and I should be at my goal weight), I'm going to shift my focus to lifting weights, less cardio. I'll keep up with some cardio for heart health, but I know that I need to build some muscle in order to get the look I want. I'm a pear shape too and I doubt I'll ever lose enough fat to not have jiggly thighs and rear, but if I can get a flat stomach I'll be happy.
  • jumatwins
    Options
    I have the same issue...i'm ok with my weight, but still have that belly fat...I've started low carb a few weeks ago and it definetely helps. I'm also doing core exercise, strenght and cardio (30 DS). I'm hoping it will help!
  • puffidredz
    puffidredz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Also that can attribute to genetics. Some people store most of their fat on the belly (apple) while others in the hips, thighs & butt (pear) which means that it is where the last thing that will lose fat.

what if you're belly, hips, thighs and butt (like me)? apple pear?
    i dont even know what shape i am lol. i got a pot belly, a wide butt and hips.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I am almost at goal weight but still have a little pudge in my belly that is very stubborn! I'm not giving up, though...I keep doing cardio and strength training and notice it getting ever so slightly smaller. It is taking FOREVER, though!!!