New rules of lifting for women-Wait and save or start now?

Options
I mentioned this in a thread in the 'NRL4W' group but i thought I'd get more response here :)

Basically i want to start the workouts as i've bought the book on my kindle and read through it and it sounds like a really great way to build muscle and strength which I want to do now I;m at my goal weight.

The problem is, I'm a student with very litle money and the gym membership is £30 a month, plus I wouldn't have any help with checking my form etc... although I'm sure i could work it out myself, but it might be a bit risky as I've never weight lifted before?

I'm starting university in just under 2 months however, where it's only £70 for an annual gold membership! Way cheaper, plus you get special assistance with your workout based on your goals for a few weeks.

The problem is I REALLY want to get started as I'm eager to change my body for the better ASAP. But I'm wondering if maybe I'm being a bit impatient and wasting my money if I start today? I just really want to strat building muscle and toning right away.

Is there perhaps something else I could do in the next 1.75 months that doesn't involve a gym fee or expensive home equipment? (I can't afford to buy home equipment seeing as I'll be leaving in just under 2 months so It'd just gather dust). Something that will help towards my strength/muscle building/toning? Or shall i just pay the £60 for the 2 months?

I'm terrible at decisions so any help is appreciated. Do I go ahead and start now, or wait and meanwhile use the 'blogilates' workouts (or any other free workouts people can suggest)

Thanks in advance again!

p.s. I've done these youtube vids called 'blogilates' in the recent past which use body weight pilates based exercises. They're challenging/ make me sore. Would that be worth doing every other day until university or are there any other more effective free workouts? I realise it's difficult/impossible to build muscle without actually buying heavy weights, but just for general strength?

Replies

• dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    If money's that tight, it's fine to wait for your cheaper gym membership. At home, you could start by doing some body weight exercises, which you can learn about free on the web. Push-ups, planks, squats, and the like.

As for learning form without a trainer, I'd recommend also getting a copy of the book Starting Strength. The Kindle edition is pretty cheap, and it's excellent for helping you get it right, even if you don't have someone to stand there and correct you.

Trainers that work in the gym are very hit-and-miss. Most of them don't seem to know all of the key points of correct barbell lifting form anyway, so how can they teach it to you?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Personally, as a very broke person, I'd wait. It would pain me to spend almost as much on two months membership as a whole year would cost.

Do you have any friends who have a gym membership that allows them to bring a guest? See if you can tag along a few times.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I'd try to see if I could fit it into my budget, and get started now.

Or do as LorinaLynn suggested w/ friends.

Film your sets, and post them here. You can get lots of form help that way.
  • spongebex
    spongebex Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Pure Gym has memberships for £17 p/month if you have one near by? Or how about pay as you go options where you could mainly workout at home but then have a session a week at the gym (if that is cheaper?)

But IMHO I think it would fine to do at home as long as you make a start whether it be and home or at the gym it is all in the right direction!

Whatever you decide good luck with it! Maybe you could blog about? x
  • snowbab
    snowbab Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hmmm well I know I'll need all the money I can get once I'm at university so £60 is a lot :S Plus once I start the workouts I'll need to buy protein powder which costs a lot.

I think I'll wait. The money I don't spend can go towards the protein powder then as well as some university supplies. It's a better decision in the long run I think, even if I'm impatient to start ASAP haha. I just need to find some decent online videos!

@LorinaLynn: I wish I had friends who go but no, I'm the only really diet/fitness conscious one of my group really. Also a lot of my friends are on holiday etc... so I couldn't go with them anyway. Unfortunately there's not a lot of choice in my small town for gym, so no Pure Gym :( The one I planned on using is very small. Like you said, it would feel like such a waste to spend so much more for less time.

@spongebex: I actually love that idea of blogging about my experience, I'll start it now maybe about the build up to it and my workouts in the meantime, and then write my progress as I do it. Sounds fun :D I'll post a link once I've made it if it interests you?

@dlwyatt82: Thank you for the book reccommendation, I'll definitely check it out! And that sounds similar to the pop-pilates workouts I was thinking of with regards to body-weight training. I did it a couple of days ago again and I'm still sore in my abs/sides!
  • snowbab
    snowbab Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I actually just phoned the gym asking if there was a price decrease for students

Turns out they are getting taken over very soon and that the prioces will be cheaper then!!! :D

I was told to call back next monday/Tuesday when they can tell me the new prices. So it's a good job I didn't go today as I'd have just had to walk back again (or pay-as-you-go but those prices are ridiculous!)

So most likely I'll be starting next week at the gym just for a month :D

Until then I'll keep focussing on my pilates :P
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    If money's that tight, it's fine to wait for your cheaper gym membership. At home, you could start by doing some body weight exercises, which you can learn about free on the web. Push-ups, planks, squats, and the like.

As for learning form without a trainer, I'd recommend also getting a copy of the book Starting Strength. The Kindle edition is pretty cheap, and it's excellent for helping you get it right, even if you don't have someone to stand there and correct you.

Trainers that work in the gym are very hit-and-miss. Most of them don't seem to know all of the key points of correct barbell lifting form anyway, so how can they teach it to you?

This. SS on kindle is 10 bucks.

Also, you don't NEED protein powder. It is a convinience to get you to your protein intake goal if you are unable to do so with real food. Any post workout anabolic window crap or anything else you were basing this need on is myth. See this link for tons of info on gaining muscle http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/686963-large-collection-of-info-for-beginners
  • spongebex
    spongebex Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    @spongebex: I actually love that idea of blogging about my experience, I'll start it now maybe about the build up to it and my workouts in the meantime, and then write my progress as I do it. Sounds fun :D I'll post a link once I've made it if it interests you

I was just thinking I would love to read it! So yes please post a link and good luck with it! xx oh! and with uni ..... exciting!