Healthy peanut butters?

Options

Replies

• petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I eat Krazy Richard's crunchy pb. You have to stir it, but the only ingredient is peanuts.
  • mellabyte
    mellabyte Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Another fan of PB2 here! mix with liquid of choice, water, milk, Greek yogurt...or use it to flavor shakes. So many possibilities!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I eat 365 Whole Foods creamy peanut butter. It's natural - nothing but peanuts in it. The oil does separate somewhat, but it's easy to mix it back in.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    What makes the peanut butter smooth and silky is the hydrogenated vegetable fat, which acts as emulsifier, added at the end of the manufacturing process.
    If you want healthy peanut or any nut butter it will be oily as the natural nut oil does separate without emulsifier.

I switched from brand name PB to organic a few months ago. Yes, it gets oily and separates. However, a quick few swirls with a knife mixes it back together. And, the consistency of the natural/organic PB means I use less per serving.

Note also that the brand name PB also adds in sugar!

In the end it is all about choice.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Jif Natural Creamy is my favorite. Freshly ground peanuts are healthier. But. Yuuuum.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    You just get used to the change. After eating single ingredient peanut butter for a while I had Jif at a restaurant and it tasted like metal. Yuck.
  • MauC25K
    MauC25K Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Better'n Peanut Butter ... and the name does not lie. 100 calories for 2 tb. Amazing! I get mine at Trader Joe's or Harris Teeter.
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    So I am doing better shopping the outer aisles of the market, but someone pointed out in my food diary that my PB of choice is Jif which is pretty lame by healthy eating standards. I have tried all natural peanut butters before, but quite honestly I have found their runny, oily consistency to be be nasty to my palette

Anyone find a decent, healthy peanut butter that lasts, tastes good and is smooth without turning into an oily mess?

I haven't read all the responses, so maybe this was already mentioned, but I refrigerate my PB. I buy Arrowhead Mills or Maranatha brand...both are 100% peanuts so separation is going to happen. But if you refrigerate it you'll get that PB consistency that you are used to from Jif products. Also, turn the jar upside down for a day before you open it and that helps the oil incorporate a little better. Once it's refrigerated I don't have to restir.
  • sweetendeavor
    sweetendeavor Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Smucker's
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I eat PB2. Mix it with a bit of water to turn it into a gooey paste. Tastes like peanut butter and has only 3 ingredients: roasted peanuts, sugar and salt.

One serving size of 2 tbsp has:
    45 calories
    1.5g fat
    94mg sodium
    3g net carbs
    1g sugar
    5g protein

Love it!
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    You just get used to the change. After eating single ingredient peanut butter for a while I had Jif at a restaurant and it tasted like metal. Yuck.

I absolutely agree with this! I was always a Jif fan up until a year ago when I made the switch. Tasting Jif now is like eating fake PB and I cannot go back to it.
  • Versah
    Versah Posts: 7
    Options
    Heres a few I use: PB2 Powdered peanut butter, Bettern Peanut butter, OR BETTER YET Bettern Peanut butter low sodium. PB2 is 45 calories per serving, both bettern peanut butters are 100 calories a serving. Not a lot of fat, however healthy fats are a good thing to have in your diet as they are as you need them to live. I would even suggest ALL NATURAL peanut butter. Brands such as Smuckers, or I beleive even Skippy have some. There are a lot of natural peanut butters out there, but to find an all natural one, take a look at the ingredients list and make sure all you see are peanuts, and salt. Thats it. No additives, no oils, no added sugars, just peanuts and salt. Even though Natural Peanut butter is higher in calories the the substitutes I listed, most of the Calories come from mono and pollysaturated fats. (GOOD FATS) Even the all natural peanut butter is going to make a BIG DIFFERENTS from your Jiff Peanut Spread. Hope this helps. =)
  • JPO1980
    JPO1980 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Just checked and us UK'ers can buy PB2 from Amazon
    I am chuffed I love peanut butter - will be investing after payday!

x
  • HRHSKitten
    Options
    I buy peanut butter that' only contains peanuts... no salt no sugar (and no extra oil as an emulsifier). The local farmer's market that I shop at makes and packages it. It hasn't seperated so far, I'm not sure if it's just because it's fresh or what, but it's really nice. Try salt free sugar free -once you get used to it you won't go back to the other!
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    [/quote]

I haven't read all the responses, so maybe this was already mentioned, but I refrigerate my PB. I buy Arrowhead Mills or Maranatha brand...both are 100% peanuts so separation is going to happen. But if you refrigerate it you'll get that PB consistency that you are used to from Jif products. Also, turn the jar upside down for a day before you open it and that helps the oil incorporate a little better. Once it's refrigerated I don't have to restir.
    [/quote]
    ^this^

I also really like Trader Joe's organic, Krema, and Nature's Basket organic. I've also made my own. I find that tends to be drier and far less oil...probably because of the peanuts I use.
  • hungergames324
    hungergames324 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Justin's nut butters are good.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    My pb of choice for cooking and protein shakes is Smucker's Natural (because it actually IS natural and sugar free). However, since you've stated you don't like them, I'd suggest my second choice: PB2. It has a tiny bit of sugar so it tastes better than the naturals, and it's not oily at all. It's great in protein shakes, or you can mix it with a little water for spreading. It's great.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I love JIF all natural :)

But I also love Naturally More Peanut Butter. 169 cals, 14g fat, 7 carb, and 9 protein for 2T. You only have to stir it once, and then it stays like that, AND you don't have to refrigerate it :)
    I too used to like Naturally More but I picked up their jar last week and was disappointed to see that they lowered the protein from 10 to 9g. When I read the ingredient listing, they added soy protein which made me think they reduced the egg whites used. I don't do soy protein so I no longer buy Naturally More.

If you want PB to make sandwiches, then there are a number of good ones out there but most "natural" ones will still be oily to a certain degree. I freeze them for a few hours to to make it thicker and scrape off the top oily layer.

You can get PB2 if you're just looking for a substitute for smoothies and what not, though - plus its lower in calorie and gives the taste of peanut butter.
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I love meridian - not sure if you have it over there...could be just a UK brand but I adore their almond butter, its just like regular peanut butter to me. I've got a jar of their cashew butter to try next!! Yum! xx
    i have their hazelnut butter waiting for me to finish my whole earth no added sugar or salt peanut butter.

meridian always needs a stir but tastes great!
  • laceyslady
    laceyslady Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Smart Balance makes a good natural pb. Even has omega-3.

I recently tried Smart Balance and like it.