Favorite Stephen King movie/book?

Options

Replies

• martymum
    martymum Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    The Stand, full version of the book, is my desert island book

The mini series of the Shining was much better than the film, and stuck closer to the book than the film did.

martyx
  • benich3043
    benich3043 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    So many great ones.

Book - All of them that I have read have been great.

Movie - It, Pet Cemetary, Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, The Shining, Misery, The Stand, Carrie, Christine

All time Favorite - Stand By Me
  • poshcouture
    Options
    Books: Four Past Midnight, Needful Things, Pet Semetary
    Movies: IT, Pet Semetary, Stand By Me
  • insanitymum
    Options
    defo the dark tower books, totally amazing story
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    That's a damn tough one to answer... I'm not even sure I could choose. I definitely lean toward preferring the epic, dark fantasy titles (The Stand, The Dark Tower books, It, etc), but even his just mildly weird / creepy books are pretty awesome. Of his more recent books, I loved Duma Key.
  • 3LittleMonkeyMom
    Options
    My very favorite story by Stephen King is a short story called "Word Processor of The Gods".

Full Books: "Liseys Story", "Bag Of Bones", "'Salems Lot "

Movie: The Shining

There really isn't a whole lot of Stephen King that I don't. like.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Book: The Dark Tower Series, Shining, the Green Mile, hell most of them

Film:- The Shawshank Redemption, the Green Mile and Misery

There isn't a lot i don't like of his work. Some of the movies could be better but nevermind. I wasn't a big fan of Lisey's Story
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Really - Under the Dome? I just couldn't get into it, nothing ever really happened (as far as I got before giving up). I don't mean this to sound cheeky, but I really am keen to know what you liked about it :flowerforyou:
  • Runner50266
    Options
    Shawshank Redemption.

This.
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Did you know that the Dark Tower series is going to be turned into a movie/TV epic saga? The preliminary plan is for 3 movies and one or two miniseries, to make it all come together. The last I heard, Ron Howard was in on the project. http://www.darktowermovies.com/

That plan has already fallen through. It's not happening.

Favorite book: It and Needful Things

Favorite Movie: Stand by Me
  • mwilke
    mwilke Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Don't watch many of his movies because I find books are always better and the movies tend to freak me out a little more (strange I know). Love the Dark Tower Series, Insomnia, and the Stand. Didn't care for From a Buick 8 tho.
  • ashleen7
    ashleen7 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Film: The Shining
    Book: Bag of Bones, or The Stand I've reread both at least 5 times
    Really couldn't get into Lisey's story at all but I enjoy almost all the books and films(no matter how cheesy the movies are!)
  • d0gma
    Options
    Really - Under the Dome? I just couldn't get into it, nothing ever really happened (as far as I got before giving up). I don't mean this to sound cheeky, but I really am keen to know what you liked about it :flowerforyou:

I know you weren't responding to me, but I liked Under the Dome as well. Nothing happened? How far in did you get? The character development and dearth of characters reminded me of The Stand and It. One big thing with that book is that, although their are good guys, they're really out of luck the whole time. They make plans and have good ideas, but they really have no choice but (for the most part) let what's going on happen and then try to pick up the pieces as they go along. It was bleak.
  • PhiliciousCurves
    PhiliciousCurves Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Favorite book has got to be IT! I love it and didn't think the movie was as great! I expected so much more from the movie! As for my fav King movie, I'm going to go with Needful Things.
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Creep Show and Misery are my two faves.
  • khelser
    khelser Posts: 27
    Options
    Langoliers, IT, Christine and I love the new series Haven
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I love all things Stephen King, used to be a little obsessed with him.

I don't think I could choose a favorite book, but there are so many good ones that no one has mentioned! Like Desperation, or The Dark Half.

I agree with pretty much everyone else, the books are hands down so much better than the movie adaptations. There just isn't enough time to include all of the subtle details.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Dolores Claiborne
    Misery

Both are fantastic books.
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I just got bored, I thought it meandered. I think King can be overly descriptive sometimes, so maybe there wasn't enough...I don't know. I think I got about a third to a half of the way through, and gave up. I spent so long studying for uni that if a 'pleasure' book doesn't grab me reasonably quickly, I give up. Time's too precious! I did ask a friend who'd read it if it were worth persevering and he said it wasn't.

At the risk of sounding negative, here're my loves though ~

The Green Mile (movie - if I evern want to cry or wallow, that's my go-to movie)
    Langoliers (always wanted to see the movie, but maybe not now as you guys have said it's rubbish)

I've seen/ready many others that I've liked though, just not as much.
  • d0gma
    Options
    Once Stephen King has been working from inside my brain, you can't scare me from the outside.

Completely agree. Although, I have to say that once I saw how perfect Tim Curry was as Pennywise, I could never read the book without picturing him.