Healthy peanut butters?

Options
13»

Replies

• klynn81
    klynn81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I grew up on Jif, and oh how I loved it's creamy sweet goodness.

Gave it up about 4yrs ago and switched to an all natural peanut butter made without all the additives, sweeteners, etc.

Sometimes we'll buy organic pb, sometimes not. We don't have a set brand. Currently we have Kraft All Natural.

It was a bit of an adjustment because it's not loaded with sugar, but now it's what we love.

I also have PB2, regular and chocolate, and it's okay.
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    you can also make your own -
    irections for Making Peanut Butter

Makes about 1 quart of peanut butter

Ingredients

1 bag of unshelled peanuts or 1 can (2 cups or 1 lb) of shelled, raw or roasted peanuts (I think unsalted is healthier - you can always add salt, if you want to)
    Vegetable oil (just a small amount, 1 or 2 tablespoons). I prefer peanut oil, but corn, sunflower, safflower, etc,. all work. I would not use olive oil because it would adversely affect the taste.
    Equipment

Blender or Food processor (a blender or fine food grinder seems to work best)

Bowl

Spatula

Recipe and Directions

Step 1 - Shell the peanuts

Unless you bought shelled peanuts, you will obviously need to shell them and discard the shells (they make great mulch in the garden or add to your compost). I just quickly shell them by hand, and don't bother much with the thin read skins. When I have the peanuts shelled, I take them outside and just blow into the bowl while stirring it. The skins float away!

Step 2 - Assemble your blender or food processor and ingredients

Set up your blender or food processor with the metal food processor blade attached, and add 2 cups of raw or roasted shelled peanuts into it.

Step 3 - Get chopping!

Cover the bowl with the blender's lid and chop up the peanuts continuously for 2 to 3 minutes or until the mixture starts to clump up and is finely chopped.
    Step 4 - Scrape and finish chopping

Scrape down the food processor bowl to mix back the peanuts that are pushed to the outside where they won't get chopped. Process until you get the consistency you like (chunky or smooth).

Step 5 - Add the vegetable oil

Most peanuts don't contain enough oil naturally to make a smooth butter. You only need to add about 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of vegetable oil (peanut oil is best, obviously, but any neutral flavored oil, like sunflower or canola oil works). Just mix it in with a fork. Your blender may not be powerful enough to do this without sticking, so you may want to mix the oil in, in a separate bowl.
    Step 6 - Tasting

Taste the peanut butter and add a touch of salt, if you like! For those that prefer a sweet peanut butter, you can add 1 tablespoon of honey, brown sugar or, if you are diabetic, Stevia, my preference (or if you prefer, Splenda) or other artificial sweetener.

Step 7 - Eat or store

Just spoon peanut butter into a jar and seal. Store it in the refrigerator until you use it. It should keep for a month or two. You can also freeze it. It will keep indefinitely in the freezer. In both cases, you may need to stir the peanut butter to mix the oils back in (the oil tends to separate over time). And no, you cannot "can" the peanut butter - it is too low acid to safely can with home equipment.
  • klynn81
    klynn81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah one more thing....if you are buying natural nut butters that have the oil and you can't stand it because it's such a huge mess to open and stir, blah blah blah......store the jar upside down.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I love JIF all natural :)

But I also love Naturally More Peanut Butter. 169 cals, 14g fat, 7 carb, and 9 protein for 2T. You only have to stir it once, and then it stays like that, AND you don't have to refrigerate it :)
    I too used to like Naturally More but I picked up their jar last week and was disappointed to see that they lowered the protein from 10 to 9g. When I read the ingredient listing, they added soy protein which made me think they reduced the egg whites used. I don't do soy protein so I no longer buy Naturally More.

If you want PB to make sandwiches, then there are a number of good ones out there but most "natural" ones will still be oily to a certain degree. I freeze them for a few hours to to make it thicker and scrape off the top oily layer.

You can get PB2 if you're just looking for a substitute for smoothies and what not, though - plus its lower in calorie and gives the taste of peanut butter.

You know when I was rereading the ingredients, I was like what happened to the egg whites?! Oh man, I just noticed the upped the calories from 169 to 180. pfft! I better go to TJs and find something else..
  • sleepgh
    sleepgh Posts: 7
    Options
    I like Trader Joe's Valencia Peanut Butter with Flaxseeds. Just stir the first time you open, and then store in the fridge upside down, and you never have to stir again.
    It's delicious.
    http://www.whatsgoodattraderjoes.com/2012/05/trader-joes-valencia-peanut-butter-with.html
  • Arunakae
    Arunakae Posts: 83
    Options
    MaraNatha peanut butter is fantastic, I'm also a HUGE fan of super creamy peanut butter and MaraNatha is organic, the first ingredient is peanuts and it's super creamy and delicious. I love it and highly recommend it. Also try other nut butters, like sunbutter (sunflower seed butter) is so good and healthy and almond butter.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's Valencia Creamy Peanut Butter.

When you first open it, it's an oily mess like all natural peanut butters. Give it one good stir. I still hate this first stir (oil on my hands, overly oily peanut butter spilling over the sides) but it's worth it - store it in the refrigerator and like magic, it has the Jif texture.

Creamy, never separates if stored in the refrigerator, and my favorite natural peanut butter to date. It's also really well-priced.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I eat Skippy's natural crunchy peanut butter. I'm not sure how it is health-wise, but it's delicious :glasses:
    Never had to stir it..
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    So I am doing better shopping the outer aisles of the market, but someone pointed out in my food diary that my PB of choice is Jif which is pretty lame by healthy eating standards. I have tried all natural peanut butters before, but quite honestly I have found their runny, oily consistency to be be nasty to my palette

Anyone find a decent, healthy peanut butter that lasts, tastes good and is smooth without turning into an oily mess?

If you're looking for a natural PB (i.e. ingredients are only peanuts) it will always separate. You have to stir it up properly, then refrigerate....you shouldn't have any separation after that and shouldn't even have to restir it.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Read a peer reviewed article comparing peanut butters (both natural and those with hydrogenated oils) for trans fats.

You get like 0.0032 grams/servings of trans fats in those with hydrogenated oils.

Translation: any peanut butter is fine.

Being the health nut I am I do like the occasional natural peanut butter anyway, but I'm currently working on a jar of "natural" no stir Jif. Tastes like the regular stuff, and I get 0.5g of extra saturated fat with half that being MCT's from the palm oil and it has less salt.
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    So I am doing better shopping the outer aisles of the market, but someone pointed out in my food diary that my PB of choice is Jif which is pretty lame by healthy eating standards. I have tried all natural peanut butters before, but quite honestly I have found their runny, oily consistency to be be nasty to my palette

Anyone find a decent, healthy peanut butter that lasts, tastes good and is smooth without turning into an oily mess?

I haven't read all the responses, so maybe this was already mentioned, but I refrigerate my PB. I buy Arrowhead Mills or Maranatha brand...both are 100% peanuts so separation is going to happen. But if you refrigerate it you'll get that PB consistency that you are used to from Jif products. Also, turn the jar upside down for a day before you open it and that helps the oil incorporate a little better. Once it's refrigerated I don't have to restir.

Thanks for responding to the Post Lauren - lots of great suggestions on here - guess I will just pick a natural one and give it a shot again.
  • ctooch99
    Options
    Trader Joe's Valencia Creamy Peanut Butter.

When you first open it, it's an oily mess like all natural peanut butters. Give it one good stir. I still hate this first stir (oil on my hands, overly oily peanut butter spilling over the sides) but it's worth it - store it in the refrigerator and like magic, it has the Jif texture.

Creamy, never separates if stored in the refrigerator, and my favorite natural peanut butter to date. It's also really well-priced.

I am thinking this may be the winner for me - Thanks everyone - really great suggestions. Sniff Sniff - fare well Jif...
  • ctooch99
    Options
    Read a peer reviewed article comparing peanut butters (both natural and those with hydrogenated oils) for trans fats.

You get like 0.0032 grams/servings of trans fats in those with hydrogenated oils.

Translation: any peanut butter is fine.

Being the health nut I am I do like the occasional natural peanut butter anyway, but I'm currently working on a jar of "natural" no stir Jif. Tastes like the regular stuff, and I get 0.5g of extra saturated fat with half that being MCT's from the palm oil and it has less salt.

Good points - thanks!
  • mallinds
    mallinds Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I love JIF! I use if for my sandwiches... but for my PB and apples I get PB2... you can get it on amazon.com

I use 2 tablespoons of the PB@ and 1.5 tablespoons of water (they suggest 1 tablespoon of water).

It is quite yummy.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/2001/010612.htm

It was from a USDA article quoting an article (though I think I've read the article they're quoting but I'm too lazy to actually track it down).

I remembered the number correctly though (I'm such a nerd).
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Smart Balance makes a good natural pb. Even has omega-3.

I couldnt get used to the taste of it myself....I use whatever is on sale crunchy style..tblsp on apples, bananas, celery and once in awhile on toast....I think all PB's are good for you ...just in moderation. :)
  • lisanorman6
    lisanorman6 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm really surprised that only one person mentioned Justin's PB. Oh Em Gee, I love that stuff.

I was a Jif person and have loved it. We switched to Adams All Natural and I gave it the ol' college try for a month. I felt like I was licking sand paper and just couldn't get used to it. After grabbing a Protein Box from Starbucks on the go awhile back, which included Justin's, I found it at our local grocery store. It does have added sugar, but not the same amount as Jif. Since I've cut out so much sugar, I think the added amount in the PB is fine.

This is all coming from a girl who used to spoon PB out of the jar and eat it...some times mixed with Nutella. And Praise the baby Jesus...I don't do that anymore!