Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    *sigh*
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    It really annoys me when anybody says not to eat fruit. Fruit will not make anyone fat! I can guarantee nobody is on here because they ate too many grapes, bananas, melon, etc. Years ago I went through a program at a hospital and was told this by a nutritionist!! They are natural sugars.

There is a such thing as too much of a good thing. Not saying that people get fat from eating fruit, but the sugar in fruit is still just that...SUGAR! Natural or not. I did a 10 day sugar free fast...and I mean NO sugar unless it came from a vegetable, and I lost 7 pounds after going up and down on the scale for months. I didn't eat bread, fruit, or condiments (i.e. mustard, mayo, miracle whip, salad dressings, vinegar). I think there is something to be said for cutting out sugars and it's correlation to weight loss. No matter what the sugar source is...if your body doesn't use it...it becomes FAT...period!
  • dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Options
    Gotta love the broscience. You can cut out bread and pasta if you want...I'll continue to do what Im doing
  • Bighiker2
    Bighiker2 Posts: 100
    Options
    When I stick to a 1200 cal/day, I lose weight, no matter what foods I eat. Yes, even bread and pasta.
  • Bighiker2
    Options
    Gotta love the broscience. You can cut out bread and pasta if you want...I'll continue to do what Im doing

And it looks like it's working, too.
  • Bighiker2
    Options
    My 2 cents.....................

And that's EXACTLY how much your post is worth....if that.

SMH. Do some REAL research on the subject please.

LOL I couldn't agree more.
  • dalila747
    dalila747 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    What happened? your post the other day seemed so common sensical and now this? YEs, I'm sure that eating low carbs works for some, but I don't cut out entire food groups, even if they are the white food of the devil, as someone else pointed out in another thread.
    I'm not looking for a quick fix, and for ME, going low carb or whatever it is you are advocating would be a quick fix.
    I would never sustain that in the long run. I'm looking to eat healthier, eat adequate portions, and generally have a no nonsense approach to eating. I don't berate myself for eating nutella, or for having sugar in my coffee. I just do it and try to do my best with the rest of my diet. My diet is far from perfect, but it's much better than it used to be.
  • imanole
    imanole Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You guys are hilarious. Really. Did I say never eat them? No. Did I say not to eat fruit. No. I love fruit. This is about helping people who have a lot of weight to lose and want to do it more quickly. A bunch of you are at a point where you can eat whatever you want pretty much because you are lean enough to do so. That's great. I am too. But you can't argue the fact that for those people that are 15, 30 or 50 lbs overweight - if they cut out most of the simple carbs from their diet, they will lose weight. Those are the people that I am trying to help.
  • Bighiker2
    Options
    I miss the days when eating too many calories meant you'd gain fat, and eating less calories than you burn means losing fat.

I love this post!!!!!!!!!!!! SO TRUE.
  • imanole
    imanole Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Ps. Read the whole post. I didn't advocate a long run. I advocated a short run to help those who need a jump start. That's all stated very clearly. NO ONE could maintain this or want to maintain this for a lifetime. You gotta read the entire post peeps.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Ps. Read the whole post. I didn't advocate a long run. I advocated a short run to help those who need a jump start. That's all stated very clearly. NO ONE could maintain this or want to maintain this for a lifetime. You gotta read the entire post peeps.

And you have to learn a little too before posting such garbage
  • sjeagle30
    sjeagle30 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    It really annoys me when anybody says not to eat fruit. Fruit will not make anyone fat! I can guarantee nobody is on here because they ate too many grapes, bananas, melon, etc. Years ago I went through a program at a hospital and was told this by a nutritionist!! They are natural sugars.

There is a such thing as too much of a good thing. Not saying that people get fat from eating fruit, but the sugar in fruit is still just that...SUGAR! Natural or not. I did a 10 day sugar free fast...and I mean NO sugar unless it came from a vegetable, and I lost 7 pounds after going up and down on the scale for months. I didn't eat bread, fruit, or condiments (i.e. mustard, mayo, miracle whip, salad dressings, vinegar). I think there is something to be said for cutting out sugars and it's correlation to weight loss. No matter what the sugar source is...if your body doesn't use it...it becomes FAT...period!

"Fruits and vegetables naturally contain fructose; however, they're also good for you because they're nutrient-dense and they contain fiber that slows down the digestion and absorption of sugar. Fruit juices that don't contain fiber can still be very nutritious, but without the bulk of whole fruit, the simple carbohydrates are absorbed much more quickly. Generally, it's better to eat whole fruit rather than drink fruit juice."

I lost almost 30 pounds eating fruit. Everything is different for everyone. That is why I very much dislike when someone says you need to cut this our that out. Do what works for you and that is all that matters...period!
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Ab Wars 2012. Get your tickets now!

Edit: Doh, someone snuck in before my post! :laugh:
  • dalila747
    Options
    I miss the days when eating too many calories meant you'd gain fat, and eating less calories than you burn means losing fat.

You mean the good ol' days when people didn't make things harder than they have to be? Yeah, some of us are still there.
  • MSimm62385
    MSimm62385 Posts: 227
    Options

This. I'll continue soaking up my soup with a roll of bread and continue losing weight, thanks.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    For giggles

Diaz EO et. al. Glycaemic index effects on fuel partitioning in humans. Obes Rev. (2006) 7:219-26.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-789X.2006.00225.x/full

Summary

The purpose of this review was to examine the role of glycaemic index in fuel partitioning and body composition with emphasis on fat oxidation/storage in humans. This relationship is based on the hypothesis postulating that a higher serum glucose and insulin response induced by high-glycaemic carbohydrates promotes lower fat oxidation and higher fat storage in comparison with low-glycaemic carbohydrates. Thus, high-glycaemic index meals could contribute to the maintenance of excess weight in obese individuals and/or predispose obesity-prone subjects to weight gain. Several studies comparing the effects of meals with contrasting glycaemic carbohydrates for hours, days or weeks have failed to demonstrate any differential effect on fuel partitioning when either substrate oxidation or body composition measurements were performed. Apparently, the glycaemic index-induced serum insulin differences are not sufficient in magnitude and/or duration to modify fuel oxidation

Not saying I agree or disagree with what anyone is saying...but don't post abstracts without reading the full article

Conclusions
    This review examined the effect of GI on fuel partitioning
    (Table 1). Short-, medium- and long-term studies failed to
    demonstrate that meals or diets of contrasting GI have
    significant effects on carbohydrate and fat oxidation and
    body composition. It is possible that no effects are observed
    because the GI-induced serum insulin differences are not
    sufficient in magnitude and/or duration to modify fuel
    oxidation.
    An exception was observed with isolated oral fructose
    vs. glucose, in which case a lower fat oxidation was
    observed with the former. These results are likely explained
    by the differential fructose hepatic oxidation rate.
    In conclusion, the hypothetical beneficial effects of low-
    GI diets on fuel partitioning need further support.

Its important to know why no significant findings were found.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    You guys are hilarious. Really. Did I say never eat them? No. Did I say not to eat fruit. No. I love fruit. This is about helping people who have a lot of weight to lose and want to do it more quickly. A bunch of you are at a point where you can eat whatever you want pretty much because you are lean enough to do so. That's great. I am too. But you can't argue the fact that for those people that are 15, 30 or 50 lbs overweight - if they cut out most of the simple carbs from their diet, they will lose weight. Those are the people that I am trying to help.

You can't post a topic with absolutes then qualify them later. You know newbies will read this and go"oh my god I have to cut out all carbs completely!"

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/496770-misinformation?hl=misinformation

Misinformation is bad.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Well, I am still 30-50 pounds overweight, but I will pass on your help. I eat bread, pasta, fruit, pizza, pretty much whatever I want. And, I've lost 40 pounds so far. Only 20 pounds to go to my first goal. I think I'll stick with what I'm doing.....which is as simple as eating at a calorie deficit.
  • dr3wman
    dr3wman Posts: 205
    Options
    ^^^ Ab Wars 2012. Get your tickets now!

Edit: Doh, someone snuck in before my post! :laugh:

Where do I sign up?? Haha seriously though...I think pasta and bread would be an upgrade in the normal diet of some overweight people. People try to make it too complicated. Get enough protein and eat under your maintinance calories to lose weight
  • dalila747
    Options

Yes, I see that now. I get what you are saying. But in general I try to stay away from any quick fixes, period. Fasts, juice fasting, low card, no sugar, etc. etc. Other people are different, but like I said, for me, I prefer to work hard at establishing healthier habits that I can continue in the long run, as opposed to torturing myself for 3 weeks. And see that is the problem with your advice. Unless your "listeners" have good long term habits to fall back on, they may very well gain all the weight back they lost during their low carb phase. Which is what most studies have shown for low carb, haven't they. They work well in the short term, but not int he long term. In fact, the best diet for long term weight loss has consistently been WW, which is just your basic eat less than you burn.