ckay220
ckay220 Posts: 271 Member
Calories:300
Total fat:7g
Cholesterol:50mg
Sodium:920mg
Carbs 36g
Protein:22g

I really don't know much about nutrition...how bad is this meal? Should I just get one?

Replies

• iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Theyre not terrible but some people will probably comment that the sodium is high. I think its a good option for fast food. And even the new cantina menu isnt bad. if you get the vegetarian or chicken options they are pretty good.
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Be prepared for all the clean eaters to tell you that you will die/are cheating/aren't doing it right if you even think of Taco Bell.

No one can tell you how to work this thing except for you.
  • apj79
    apj79 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't think the calorie count is bad but sodium and carbs are a lot. I don't do Taco Bell so I don't have a second choice for you.
    Good luck.
  • charbear94
    Options
    Carbs 36g

I really don't know much about nutrition...how bad is this meal? Should I just get one?

if you are pressed for time and have to go drive thru taco belll (and we all do sometimes!) this is actually a great choice. These made the "eat this, not that!" book, 2012 edition. They were on the "eat this" side btw, lol. The sodium may be a little high, but fat and calorie wise, these are your best choices from taco bell :)
  • ckay220
    Options
    Carbs 36g

if you are pressed for time and have to go drive thru taco belll (and we all do sometimes!) this is actually a great choice. These made the "eat this, not that!" book, 2012 edition. They were on the "eat this" side btw, lol. The sodium may be a little high, but fat and calorie wise, these are your best choices from taco bell :)

Thanks a lot! I will check that out..did get to pack my lunch last night so I have to find somewhere cheap!
  • ckay220
    Options
    So.....the burning of calories through exercise, do I "earn" extra mgs of sodium like I do with carbs, protein, calories, and fat? Like if I do go over the recommended calorie intake, can I burn it off?
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I eat them occasionally. Just make sure you get plenty of water because they are high in sodium. :-)
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Good example of healthy options at fast food joints! I also go for the Fresco!!!
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    Everything in moderation. As long as this isnt all you eat..your fine. One trip to fast food didnt give you the body you don't want. One trip isn't going to take anything you've worked for away.

If you happen to have a Charleys steak and subs place (we have one in the mall food court) get the grilled chicken salad. Tasty, large portion only 200 calories plus dressing calories. I choose this on those "gotta run or didnt have time to pack" days.
  • gigiangelique
    gigiangelique Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I think its better than nuggets from mc devils (200 cal) of deep fried crap. I would say go for it (as a treat) but not everyday

http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health/diet-plans/fastfood-diet-plan-0407_3
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    The sodium is high, I'm assuming you don't have time to make your own meal. Just go for it, and work it off later when you can for now if that's all you can do.

I would come up with my own recipe that is similar to Taco Bells and make enough to take with me for lunch. YUM!
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    So.....the burning of calories through exercise, do I "earn" extra mgs of sodium like I do with carbs, protein, calories, and fat? Like if I do go over the recommended calorie intake, can I burn it off?

No, your daily allotment of sodium stays the same (usually 2500mg) per day, regardless of how many extra calories you earn. This is because sodium does attribute to the calorie total. Calories are made from fat, carbs, and protein only, so when you earn more calories, only those three things are impacted.
  • gigiangelique
    gigiangelique Posts: 233 Member
    Options

No, your daily allotment of sodium stays the same (usually 2500mg) per day, regardless of how many extra calories you earn. This is because sodium does attribute to the calorie total. Calories are made from fat, carbs, and protein only, so when you earn more calories, only those three things are impacted.

What if you sweat it out? I go to Bikram yoga so I take in extra salt
  • patkterry
    Options
    I eat Fresca menu alot, because its tasty, low fat, low calorie. I don't feel guilt that its a lot of sodium. Why? because I am a REAL person with a busy life, and it's a better choice than a million other things I could be ordering at a fast food restaurant. This is a journey to become a better, healthier me, I am not perfect and I love that about myself!
  • vbrent07
    vbrent07 Posts: 115
    Options
    If you have a taste for them, go for it! A day of extra sodium is not going to hurt you!
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Personally I think the sodium is a little high, but that is probably the case for anywhere that you eat out. MFP recommends 2500mg per day. Anywho, I would say that its not terrible, although I would not eat it a lot (which you probably already know).
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    To be honest, if I'm going to go to Taco Bell, I'm going to have a Grilled Stuffed Burrito. I go a couple of times a year.
  • Jenny111372
    Jenny111372 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    That's what I get when we go to Taco Bell..compared to a lot of other things I'd rather have from there, it's the healthiest option for me. :)
  • pittskaa
    pittskaa Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    i would only get one, and maybe as a treat. i wouldn't necessarily do it often because the carbs and sodium are high (like everyone is saying) maybe if youre just seriously craving it, or on the go.
  • ber3023
    ber3023 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Their hard shells are lower in sodium and if I'm not mistaken also lower on carbs.