I have been thinking!

Options
I am a teller for a credit union. I sit most of the day but get up and move a little. I was wondering. Obviously I am perfectly capable of standing up instead of using my chair. I guess it has become habit. I wonder how much of a difference it would make if I just stood all day. If you remember when you started your profile it had bank teller as an example of sedentary. I am guessing this is probably using the assumption that we sit on our rumps most of the day. I am not wanting to change my profile or anything, I was just wondering if it would make much of a difference.

Replies

• ehorner1976
    ehorner1976 Posts: 147
    Options
    I am a teller for a credit union. I sit most of the day but get up and move a little. I was wondering. Obviously I am perfectly capable of standing up instead of using my chair. I guess it has become habit. I wonder how much of a difference it would make if I just stood all day. If you remember when you started your profile it had bank teller as an example of sedentary. I am guessing this is probably using the assumption that we sit on our rumps most of the day. I am not wanting to change my profile or anything, I was just wondering if it would make much of a difference.
  • twin2
    twin2 Posts: 404
    Options
    I don't know. I am an administrative assistant at a nursing home, so I know what you mean. Some days I walk more than others but usually not so much. I wear a pedometer some days it is in the 6000's but mostly luck if I break 2500. If you figure it out let me know! Or maybe we could walk in place while we work?
  • julie737
    julie737 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I saw this piece on the news a few weeks ago about a treadmill some guy had invented. I fits under a desk (that is raised, of course) and the worker walks slowly on the treadmill while working. One of the people they talked to had lost something like 8 pounds (I don't remember how long it took her) just by walking slowly all day!

So I can imagine that standing up would contribute to calorie burn too!
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Options
    I'm not sure if standing in one place vs sitting in one place would make a difference, except it might add to the possibility of vericose veins later in life:frown: If you get an hour for lunch maybe you could walk 40 minutes of it and eat the other 20 to help get ya movin:smile:
    :flowerforyou:
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I found this on a site don't know if it is true or not but it is a good start I guess

The average person may burn approximately one calorie per minute, sitting at rest. The same person, while standing, will burn 1.5 calories per minute. You may be thinking “an extra half calorie...big deal”. Now, while it may be small potatoes for one minute, or even one hour, 50% more calories to stand vs. sit is a pretty big deal when you spend a good part of your day sitting vs. standing!

Maybe I will check out another to get a professional opinion
    i checked out dietandfitnesstoday.com and they have about 8 calories more burned in a half an hour doing sedentary things in either instance. Of course there are a lot of factors in this anyway. (weight, height, and others) so it is hard to give exact numbers
  • jpketz
    jpketz Posts: 73
    Options
    I also sit at a computer most of the day. My chiropractor/sports medicine doc says ideally we'd all stand while working at a desk, or sit on an exercise ball. Not really for the calories burned but because it's better for your back and core.

I tried the latter (not really wanting to shell out the $$ for a custom computer desk I could stand at) and I have to admit, sitting on the ball is great for core strengthening, although I can only do it for an hour or so at a stretch. But then I should get up stretch at least once an hour anyway. Then my cat jumped on the ball and that effectively ended that experiment.

Again according to my chiropractor, If you do figure out a way to stand, make sure you're standing on something cushy, like a chef's floor mat, and wear supportive shoes.