HELP! i had coffee for breakfast...

Options

Replies

• macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^ Clearly you haven't done much in the way of research. As we sleep, our metabolism slows down and burns energy must slower, simply due to not being fed for more than 8 hours. When we get up, the body is somewhat shocked by action and if not fed, will not release the necessary energy to burn fat since the body is survival mode thinking we are starving. Studies show that people who eat a healthy breakfast lose and maintain weight better than those who skip breakfast
    I think she knows it's a myth, but it helps her sell her Shakeology drinks!
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    space out your calories through out the day and you will do fine. But personally breakfast is the best meal of the day! The only way a banana will kill you is if you slip on the peel and knock your head, gulp and choke, or enjoy eating it so much that you don't pay attention and walk in front of a speeding car......
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    OMG Just realized the banana eating avatar... oh dear.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    space out your calories through out the day and you will do fine. But personally breakfast is the best meal of the day! The only way a banana will kill you is if you slip on the peel and knock your head, gulp and choke, or enjoy eating it so much that you don't pay attention and walk in front of a speeding car......
    It does look like she's enjoying it quite a bit, though.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Just in case you are not trolling........

^^^^^ Clearly you haven't done much in the way of research. As we sleep, our metabolism slows down and burns energy must slower, simply due to not being fed for more than 8 hours. When we get up, the body is somewhat shocked by action and if not fed, will not release the necessary energy to burn fat since the body is survival mode thinking we are starving.

Some research such as this:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2405717
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10837292

.... would indicate that your 8 hour figure is off by at least 40 hours.

Studies show that people who eat a healthy breakfast lose and maintain weight better than those who skip breakfast

But you should note that the studies that show this indicate that people who eat a healthy breakfast are less likely to overeat. You should also note that studies in which energy balance is controlled do not show a significant difference in weight loss. This is because energy balance dictates weight change, not the timing or frequency of your meals.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

Diet induced thermogenesis is not frequency based, and your body is a whole lot smarter and resilient than you give it credit for. Some research would indicate that you can easily fast 24 hours (probably 48-60) without detrimental effects on metabolism. Whether or not you'd WANT to do that is a different discussion.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    You'll prob gain some. But if you take a good dump later or tomorrow, it will even out

good idea. BRB!

Take your phone with you so you can MFP from the bathroom.

And if you break a sweat from all the pushing, don't forget to log those calories burned!
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Just in case you are not trolling........

^^^^^ Clearly you haven't done much in the way of research. As we sleep, our metabolism slows down and burns energy must slower, simply due to not being fed for more than 8 hours. When we get up, the body is somewhat shocked by action and if not fed, will not release the necessary energy to burn fat since the body is survival mode thinking we are starving.

Some research such as this:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2405717
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10837292

.... would indicate that your 8 hour figure is off by at least 40 hours.

Studies show that people who eat a healthy breakfast lose and maintain weight better than those who skip breakfast

But you should note that the studies that show this indicate that people who eat a healthy breakfast are less likely to overeat. You should also note that studies in which energy balance is controlled do not show a significant difference in weight loss. This is because energy balance dictates weight change, not the timing or frequency of your meals.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

Diet induced thermogenesis is not frequency based, and your body is a whole lot smarter and resilient than you give it credit for. Some research would indicate that you can easily fast 24 hours (probably 48-60) without detrimental effects on metabolism. Whether or not you'd WANT to do that is a different discussion.

it makes me all warm and fuzzy when you talk science.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    You know what this thread reminds me of?

Last year, my niece made the mortal mistake of accidentally farting during a speech in her high school english class. Some of the girls in her class made a Facebook fan page completely dedicated to making fun of her. It got shut down pretty quickly, of course. But still...this reminds me of those high school girls and their stupid followers.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options

Last year, my niece made the mortal mistake of accidentally farting during a speech in her high school english class. Some of the girls in her class made a Facebook fan page completely dedicated to making fun of her. It got shut down pretty quickly, of course. But still...this reminds me of those high school girls and their stupid followers.

okkkkkkkk....far stretch...my point was it doesnt matter when you eat, and i was trying to be lighthearted and fun. Does not even remotely resemble bullying a high school girl by facebook page. I am sorry you feel this way.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

How... O.o
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    This thread reminds me of that time my neighbor lady asked if I'd help her shovel her driveway.

I was all like BISH, I AINT FINNA SHOVEL NOTHIN.

Then she grabbed some window cleaner and sprayed me in the face. I ended up urinating on her daffodils.

So yeah, good thread.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options

How... O.o

Give them some coffee!
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    and now its 11am and i am eating a banana!
    Am I doing it all wrong?

Remember, when eating a banana in public, it's always banana to mouth, never mouth to banana. And don't try to eat the whole thing in one bite. You might choke/gag.
  • Namaste1983
    Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    THIS THREAD IS NOW IN MY TOP 10
  • KeiKun
    KeiKun Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    This thread reminds me of that time my neighbor lady asked if I'd help her shovel her driveway.

Then she grabbed some window cleaner and sprayed me in the face. I ended up urinating on her daffodils.

So yeah, good thread.

Literally LOL. :drinker:
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Never understood people's fascination with "jump starting" the metabolism. It's not like our bodies are cars left out at night with our headlights on. I don't need jumper cables.

Thats funny!
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options

So yeah, good thread.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :sad: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options

So yeah, good thread.

Holly Crap that was funny.... My coffee almost went out my nose!
  • missmayeb
    missmayeb Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Dang it I had a banana AND Coffee. I am doomed too.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options

How... O.o

How? It's pretty obvious. But I'm not the one who started the first thread. So carry on...